Military Significant Others and Spouse Support -
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Tri-Care Question

  1. I'm Cristina!
    shadowdremy's Avatar
    shadowdremy is offline
    I'm Cristina!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    the palm springs of washington

    Help Tri-Care Question

    Hi I am sorry but I have a question. I am new to this and you see my boyfriend and I were thinking about getting married before he deployed. Well, I was wondering how long it would take for me to get on Tri-Care. I am pregnant and I am on my parents insurance and it's covering everything. So I was also wondering how much it covers. And how do you know who takes it? So I guess here are my questions:
    1. How long does it take to get on Tri-Care?
    2. How much will it cover?
    3. Do regular offices take it? I am having twins so I have an actual OBGYN and wondered if it covered most of the costs.

    Sorry I know my boyfriend is trying to get as much info as he can but he is doing pre-deployment stuff and I am lost as to where to go to get these questions answered. So if any of you can give me any information that would be GREAT!! And you would be amazing!
  2. Senior Member
    MissJasmin25's Avatar
    MissJasmin25 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    San Antonio, TX & Hubz is in Camp Lejeune, NC
    Blog Entries
    I am not a pro at Tricare but I have been on it as long as I have been alive just different sponsors and as far as i know it coveres basically everything as long as you go to a military installation to see a doctor (they have OBGYN's and everything)

    if you decide to go to a regular family doctor (you can find who accepts tricare by going to their website and searching for OBGYN in your area and they will give you a list- or you can call the # on the back of your tricare card and it will give you names and numbers i believe) it should be like a small co pay and everything else should be covered. Once you are enrolled they will send you a huge packet that tells you everything that is covered so you can always refer to that just in case. What is good about going to a military installation is that everything is free- perscriptions and all...

    i used to go to a family doctor using tricare prime but i had to pay a co pay and then i had to pay for my perscription etc etc.... its better just to get it for free lol.

    Once you two are married- and you are enrolled into DEERS, he will have to fill out a form and fax it in to tricare and it takes maybe 2 weeks tops. There are cut off dates every month so it kind of just depends.

    i would say DEFINITELY get married- it will help you out so much especially with those two kiddos on their way!
  3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Victoria's Avatar
    Victoria is offline
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I'm on Tricare Prime and have been for almost 5 years now. I haven't had to pay a dime for any of the care I've received or medications, unless I got them filled outside an MTF.

    I had my son at a Military Treatment Facility and never paid a penny.

    If you're on Tricare Prime, then there aren't any co-pays!
  4. Senior Member
    ily.mmw's Avatar
    ily.mmw is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    once you're enrolled into DEERS, you're enrolled for tricare standard but for tricare prime you need to go to the tricare office and fill out the paperwork.

    the cut-off date is the 20th of each month. if you submit the application between the 1st and the 20th then your enrollment will start on the 1st of the following month. if it is the 21st or later then you won't be covered until the 1st of the month after that.

    for example, if you submitted paperwork today july 25th, your coverage wouldn't start until september 1st but if you submitted it on july 10th it would have started on august first.

    once you enroll in tricare they'll give you a book which can better explain what is covered.

  5. and still I think of you
    Daysgoby's Avatar
    Daysgoby is offline
    and still I think of you
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Vicenza, Italy
    Blog Entries
    Once you get married, you should be covered. After the wedding, you go to ID cards and there you will be enrolled in deers and get your ID card and all that.
  6. Senior Member
    BLBnJVB3's Avatar
    BLBnJVB3 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Blog Entries
    I also want to add that you will need a referral to see an OB. You have your PCM and he/she has to refer you out.

    I had civi OBs for the 2 kids I had on Tricare and each time I would go in to get the pg confirmed and then they put in the referral. I had to wait til I got the paperwork til I called the OB to schedule an appt. We've only ever been on Prime (been on it for 7 years now) and we've never shelled out a penny except for my contacts exam, the contacts, my frames, and lenses. Dental is separate so you'll have to sign up for that as well as Tricare. The only thing I've paid for with dental (besides the 26 or 27 every month that is taken out of his pay) is when our DD had a couple cavaties filled. I think it was about 50 each time.

    Oh, also, make sure to keep DEERS updated. Whenever you move or have a baby you have to update DEERS.

    Good Luck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts