Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Family Counseling

1. Member

Family Counseling

Advertisements
    My husbands an active duty Marine and we need to get some family counseling. He called Tricare to see how that's done and they told him to contact his BAS. He called them and they said he needs to contact Tricare! So how do we go about getting family counseling done out in town. I don't want to go to a chaplain on base- we tried that and it didn't really work for us. Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    San Antonio, TX & Hubz is in Camp Lejeune, NC
    Blog Entries
    I don't know i'm looking at the handbook at it says for an active duty member he must receive authorization by contacting the regional contractor.

all others on prime can see a behavioral health provider in the tricare network 8x before they need a refferal from the PCM.

its on page 16 if you have the handbook.
  3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    You don't need a referral for the first 8 sessions. Some counselors with handle all the Tricare stuff if you are needing more than 8 sessions.

https://www.hnfs.net//ProviderDirect...bp&frmRegion=N

Under "TYPE" click on Behavioral Health Professionals
    Under "Specialty" click on Marriage and Family Therapist

Are you on Tricare Prime?!?
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

You can do a self referal to a counsilor in town that takes tricare. You can get 7-8 visits free, if they determin after that thet you need more sessions, they will request a referal from tricare for you.

5. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitkat8376 View Post
    My husbands an active duty Marine and we need to get some family counseling. He called Tricare to see how that's done and they told him to contact his BAS. He called them and they said he needs to contact Tricare! So how do we go about getting family counseling done out in town. I don't want to go to a chaplain on base- we tried that and it didn't really work for us. Thanks!

Also contact the therapist on your own. It's tricky when it's the active duty member dealing with it. It will be billed under your name to Tricare.

You make the appointment for yourself and he can join you as a couple's session.

There were a few times where our counselor was awesome and she'd see DH or I on one-on-one sessions!!
  6. I'm too cool for words
    I'm too cool for words
    double post
  7. I'm too cool for words
    I'm too cool for words
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    You don't need a referral for the first 8 sessions. Some counselors with handle all the Tricare stuff if you are needing more than 8 sessions.

https://www.hnfs.net//ProviderDirect...bp&frmRegion=N

Under "TYPE" click on Behavioral Health Professionals
    Under "Specialty" click on Marriage and Family Therapist

Are you on Tricare Prime?!?

You don't need a referral for the first 8 sessions. Just call up the therapist/ councelor you want to see, and they will schedule the appt. Just make sure they accept Tricare. Once you get close to the 8the session, the councelor's/therapist's office will automatically put in a referral to Tricare. As for your dh, he will need to get a referral from the doctor in his command, and will then submit the referral to Tricare.

I know this for a fact, since we are utilizing this right now due to dh's PTSD.