Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active Duty TriCare question

1. Senior Member

Active Duty TriCare question

Advertisements
    Okay, so at the end of June my DH got really sick on a Sunday. He was supposed to go into work but it was to the point where he wasn't well enough to drive, and needed to be seen.

So he called work to let them know, and they told him to make sure and call 1800NavyMed first. So he called them, they listened to his symptoms and told him that he needed to be seen. They told him where to go as well - to a local urgent care place. (We are at a naval support unit, so there is no navy hospital here, only some dr's offices, but since it was a Sunday they were not open.)

Well about a week ago we got a bill from the place for just over $1,000. All but $82.81 they say will be paid for by insurance. They are saying the $82.81 is a "New ork State Surcharge".

So my question is since DH is active duty shouldn't EVERYTHING on the bill be covered by TriCare? Or do we actually have to pay the $82.81?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Did you call TriCare to find out? There should be a TriCare service number you can call for your region.

You should also have gotten a statement from TriCare itemizing what they're paying (the statements usually say THIS IS NOT A BILL) and whether or not you will owe anything.
  3. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Did you call TriCare to find out? There should be a TriCare service number you can call for your region.

You should also have gotten a statement from TriCare itemizing what they're paying (the statements usually say THIS IS NOT A BILL) and whether or not you will owe anything.
    Right, exactly. You would think that the number you called would have given you a TriCare preferred provider. Having a non-preferred provider is the only reason I can think of that it wouldn't be fully covered.

4. Purpur
    On our drive across country, DH went to an ER near a hotel we were staying at one night. We never got anything saying we owed anything....and normally an urgent care center will cost less than an ER!
    I'd call Tricare and see what they say....
  5. Senior Member
    As an Active Duty member he should be covered 100% especially if he got the OK to go to the ER to begin with. I would call Tricare and find out what is going on.
  6. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    I agree with what the previous posters have said. Good Luck though
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

You shouldn't have to pay anything. Tricare will not pay them the full amount (never do), but if they sent you to that urgent care place, the you won't have to pay a thing and the urgent care will have to write it off as a loss.

8. Senior Member
    We haven't received anything from TriCare, just a bill from the Urgent Care center where he was told to go.

Can I call Tri Care to find out about it? Or does he have to do it since it is concerning him?
  9. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    what some hospitals don't understand is they "eat" the rest of the charges. AD tricare is 100% paid for.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AG2Wife View Post
    what some hospitals don't understand is they "eat" the rest of the charges. AD tricare is 100% paid for.
    So they won't try to take it to collections or anything?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast