Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Insurance question

1. "i can't do this w/o you, i'm coming home to you"--DH
    "i can't do this w/o you, i'm coming home to you"--DH

Insurance question

Advertisements
    Ok so I'm getting ready to give birth and since the hospital I am delivering at added a new maternity ward, and things, they system completely changed.

I have to pre-register and the form is asking for the type of insurance and if the baby will be covered by the insurance as well.

Now DH made changes and put me on the insurance, but I don't know anything about the insurance. I also didn't think he could do this because I haven't received the marriage license nor my new social security card for him to add me to the insurance.

I guess I'm curious to know what the insurance is, and if it actually would cover the baby.

EBoNY
    "I love you Ebony with everything that I am. I give my heart and soul to you. And I will continue to love you until I can physically not love you anymore. I know you haven't learned to be a wife yet and I really haven't learned to be a husband yet. But together we will learn and teach each other how to fill the positions. I want people to say damn I wish our relationship was like that. You are everything that I want babe.I want you to be the one I wake up to and kiss goodnight for the rest of my life. Hold you in my arms while I sleep or watch tv. I love you with all my heart and can't wait for our lives to start together. I love you so much. your husband"
  2. Senior Member
    I am assuming he is AD correct? If so, then it would be Tricare. And yes he needs an original of your birth certificate. I just called today asking the same thing They wouldn't take a faxed copy from me
  3. Tiffykins30
    If you have been enrolled in the DEERS system (gotten your Dependent ID card) then you are automatically enrolled in Tricare Standard. If you haven't done any of that then you are NOT covered.

I don't know the entire backstory to your situation, so it's kind of difficult for me to give you any more information that what is listed above.
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

All I needed was our marriage certif and my drivers. He enrolled me in DEERS and the tricare the same day. If you have been enrolled in DEERS, tricare can pull your details from that. If you are in Tricare then the hospital is paid for and baby is covered under tricare, but you have 90 days to properly enroll your baby (but the baby can been seen by a doc and be covered until you enroll baby, up to the 90 days). You will know if you are enrolled in DEERS if you have a military dependant ID card

5. "i can't do this w/o you, i'm coming home to you"--DH
    "i can't do this w/o you, i'm coming home to you"--DH
    Ok so I am not in DEERS then. That was mentioned to me before, but I was told in order to enroll I have to have marriage certificate and the new social security card. I'm sorry for the questionsb but I'm new to this.

What exactly do I need to enroll in DEERS and can I do it myself since he is deployed? And where would I have to go to be enrolled?

EBoNY
    "I love you Ebony with everything that I am. I give my heart and soul to you. And I will continue to love you until I can physically not love you anymore. I know you haven't learned to be a wife yet and I really haven't learned to be a husband yet. But together we will learn and teach each other how to fill the positions. I want people to say damn I wish our relationship was like that. You are everything that I want babe.I want you to be the one I wake up to and kiss goodnight for the rest of my life. Hold you in my arms while I sleep or watch tv. I love you with all my heart and can't wait for our lives to start together. I love you so much. your husband"
  6. Tiffykins30
    You have to go to the nearest military installation. You will need a form signed by your husband from the MPF (that's what it's called in the Air Force), I have no idea what they call it for the Army, I've heard that some bases will require you to have a POA for an ID card to be issued. You will need the official Marriage certificate, and your driver's license. I had to have my SS card when I got mine back in February, but I have heard that is NOT always the case. They will input all your information, height/weight/hair color, and then they will print you an id card. While you are on base, you will need to locate the Tricare office, and go talk to them. If you are about to deliver, you will probably need to stay on whatever insurance you are on for the time being. Getting enrolled in Tricare Prime can take time. If you enroll before the 20th of July, you will be covered August 1st. If you enroll after the 20th, you will not be covered until September 1st.

This will enroll you in Tricare Standard which is the one plan that has more out of pocket costs, than Tricare Prime. Also, is your husband Active Duty, National Guard or Reserves because that can effect the type of Tricare you are eligible for. . .

There are several differences between Tricare Prime and Tricare Standard. You have to enroll in Tricare Prime which is the no out of pocket costs as long as the providers are in the network and you have everything done as provided by your Primary Care Manager which is usually an on-base/on-post doctor. In some cases you can have a civilian doctor on Tricare Prime (we do), and that's because the base MTF here is so difficult to get appointments with. Tricare Standard you can see any doctor in the Network

Here is the link for Tricare:
    http://tricare.mil/mybenefit/

Follow the steps to setting up a profile, it will NOT save the information, but it will give you an idea of the differences between the 2 policy types.

That link will also give you Tricare contact phone numbers in your region. If you have anymore specific questions, feel free to contact me. Threads get lost on here really easily and I don't visit the forum every day.

I wanted to add that if you are enrolled in Tricare Standard, there can be Out of pocket expense (it won't necessarily be a huge amount but if you get a bill, do not be completely surprised), so make sure you review each policy type before you choose. The post above about the baby being covered immediately is correct, but you will need to enroll the baby as soon as you can. The baby will not get an ID card until the age of 10 by normal DEERS standards. If you do not live near a military installation, Tricare Standard may be your best option. It's all about personal preference, I was on Standard for awhile, but when I found out we could use a civilian doctor as our PCM, I switched us over to Prime. I just went in for my yearly well woman exam, had some tests done, and had my son get his physical done, and I had no out of pocket cost.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stLadyYates View Post
    Ok so I am not in DEERS then. That was mentioned to me before, but I was told in order to enroll I have to have marriage certificate and the new social security card. I'm sorry for the questionsb but I'm new to this.

What exactly do I need to enroll in DEERS and can I do it myself since he is deployed? And where would I have to go to be enrolled?
    Same as above me, go on base with your marriage cert and your dl or any picture id. If dh isnt with you, you must have a gen poa or a deers poa. they will give you a form to take to tricare. i was automatically put on prime bc you are automatically assigned on post if it is available. but you can opt out and go to standard. ALL MATERNITY AND 6 WK POSTPARTUM APPTS ARE COVERED. you will not pay for anything pertaining to maternity. BUT if dh is e5 or above, you have to remain on standard for 1 yr, before going back to prime. If he is below e5, then you can just reenroll yourself back on prime.

if you need any help just pm me.
  8. Tiffykins30
    Quote Originally Posted by proud_wife_n_mom View Post
    Same as above me, go on base with your marriage cert and your dl or any picture id. If dh isnt with you, you must have a gen poa or a deers poa. they will give you a form to take to tricare. i was automatically put on prime bc you are automatically assigned on post if it is available. but you can opt out and go to standard. ALL MATERNITY AND 6 WK POSTPARTUM APPTS ARE COVERED. you will not pay for anything pertaining to maternity. BUT if dh is e5 or above, you have to remain on standard for 1 yr, before going back to prime. If he is below e5, then you can just reenroll yourself back on prime.

if you need any help just pm me.
    I just want to make sure I am understanding the situation correctly as well. I'm only quoting you because of the maternity visits and the baby being covered.

I am not sure if she's gotten her official marriage certificate yet, but if she doesn't get enrolled in DEERS, and she has the baby, the baby is automatically covered, but her hospital stay and bills would be her responsibility. That's my understanding of the Tricare beneficiary outline of coverage.

My advice to the OP: Call whatever county you got married and ask them to expedite your official marriage certificate to you. You need to get enrolled into the DEERS system ASAP so you will be covered for the birth if you do not have a secondary/other form of insurance. Hopefully, you have a POA and can get enrolled immediately. If you need any help, please feel free to contact me.