Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GI Bill

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Question GI Bill

Advertisements
    Has anyone heard or read anything about what they are doing to the GI Bill now?? They are supposed to be upping the amount to $80k (and the AD member doesn't have to put more money towards it). They are also supposed to be offering more pay out per semester, as well as E-5 housing allowance.

My husband told me it was in the Navy Times, but I can't find any articles online.
  2. Senior Member
    Go to military.com they had a big article about it.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  3. Senior Member
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    its in this weeks edition. ( if you are a subscriber you can read it.)
    The housing allowance is only if you live in the dorms ( basically for single people)

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks for the article link! I only got bits and pieces of info from my husband
  6. Senior Member

Is it only for those that joined after Sept 11 or can it be for those who have served before and continued to serve after like my dh?
  7. Senior Member
    DF has been working on all the paperwork to get his. Apparently, there's some big thing from the school and then something he never got from his unit that he should have, so he's been dealing with it. I knew they were increased amounts, but I wasn't sure how much. Good to know this information.
  8. Purpur
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    Is it only for those that joined after Sept 11 or can it be for those who have served before and continued to serve after like my dh?
    Eligibility for the New GI Bill

If you have served a total of at least 90 days on active duty in the Armed Forces youíre eligible. However, the amount of benefits you receive under this program are determined by the actual amount of accumulated post 9/11 service you have.

To be eligible for the full benefit, you must have three years of active duty service after 9/11 or have been discharged due to a service-connected disability.

If you are an officer who graduated from a service academy or received ROTC scholarships, you also qualify for the new GI Bill benefits. However, your ROTC/Service Academy associated obligated active-duty service time does not count toward the three years necessary to qualify for the full benefits.

Note: You didnít have to opt-in for the Montgomery GI Bill to be eligible for this program.
  9. Senior Member
    San Antonio, TX & Hubz is in Camp Lejeune, NC
    Blog Entries
    ahhh i still think it's BS that you can't transfer it to dependents unless you serve at least 10 years, and that it only covers 36 months of school....
  10. Missing him dearly
    Missing him dearly
    does the $1200 payment of investment stop immediately? DB still had to pay $200 and as of 3 days ago they never told him that he'd get to stop paying.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast