Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about veterans tricare...

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Question question about veterans tricare...

Advertisements
    So, my husband is being medically discharged. We will have tricare for our family for 6 months from his discharge date. I am pregnant. That means the pregnancy will be covered, the delivery will be covered, my 6 weeks checkup... yada yada...
    my question is... we know my baby has a heart defect that will need surgery. Doctors suspect down syndrome, but that won't be certain until she's born. If the baby is born under tricare, does tricare cover her as well? Will her surgery be covered as long as it's performed befor the end coverage date? and if she needs followups regarding the surgery and they happen to fall after the end coverage date, will tricare still cover them since they covered the surgery itself... or will she just not have insurance and I'll have to try to find insurance to cover a pre-existing condition? Also, if she IS born with down syndrome, will tricare extend her coverage to life? Because to my understanding (i was an insurance biller), once the baby is born and a condition is established, you CAN NOT apply for new insurance, because the child then has a pre-existing condition.
    Any insight to this is welcomed! Thanks
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i think tricare will cover the baby until the coverage is dropped, what you may want to do as soon as the baby is born is contact the state that you will live ins medicaid program and explain the situation and what you need to do to ensure the baby has coverage when the coverage with tricare ends.

question for you. not sure of what the details are surrounding his medical discharge, but if it is service related he could get medically retired and then you would have tricare without having to worry about coverage ending. hugs hon i hope things go well.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leanne View Post
    i think tricare will cover the baby until the coverage is dropped, what you may want to do as soon as the baby is born is contact the state that you will live ins medicaid program and explain the situation and what you need to do to ensure the baby has coverage when the coverage with tricare ends.

question for you. not sure of what the details are surrounding his medical discharge, but if it is service related he could get medically retired and then you would have tricare without having to worry about coverage ending. hugs hon i hope things go well.
    It was an injury due to military service, but we could not afford to fight it, so we had to take what he was offered. He gets 10% disability, 6 months tricare, and a small severence... that's it.

I won't be eligible for medicaid until after our tricare expires, and then my baby won't be eligible because they don't insure pre-existing conditions. I will have to try for SSI for the baby I guess... I don't know... and I don't know how to find out anything.
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

4. Senior Member
    You all might be eligible for medical coverage with the VA. Pretty sure you are.....

Thank you, BrentsCrystal! You are amazing!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FC wifey View Post
    You all might be eligible for medical coverage with the VA. Pretty sure you are.....
    we are, although it is expensive... but we may have to make due if I can't come to any other conclusion...
    my husband doesn't even have a job yet and he is being put out in a month...

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wife-n-mommy View Post
    we are, although it is expensive... but we may have to make due if I can't come to any other conclusion...
    my husband doesn't even have a job yet and he is being put out in a month...
    You said he is going to get disability? Are they not offering to help with the costs? If you need help with him getting a good job and what not, there are some fantastic people at the VA who can help out... Not sure if you have gone through them for things yet, but most of them are very very helpful with getting everything in order. Good luck. Sounds like a rough situation!

7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FC wifey View Post
    You said he is going to get disability? Are they not offering to help with the costs? If you need help with him getting a good job and what not, there are some fantastic people at the VA who can help out... Not sure if you have gone through them for things yet, but most of them are very very helpful with getting everything in order. Good luck. Sounds like a rough situation!
    he can't do anything through the VA until after his discharge, or at least that's what he's been told. we have all the paperwork ready, just can't do anything with it yet. .... I'm so confused by this whole thing

8. Senior Member
    he can't do anything through the VA until after his discharge, or at least that's what he's been told. we have all the paperwork ready, just can't do anything with it yet. .... I'm so confused by this whole thing
    I hear ya. It's a lot to take in... I thought, could be wrong, but I thought they could help you get a resume and job hunt before discharge... I thought that was what they told me...

9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    He can still go to the VA and get things started. They won't be able to submit it but they should be able to get the paperwork ready. Also, he might be eligible for 2 years free health insurance for him if he was OIF/OEF. Either way I would contact the local VA office and see what other resources might be available to you. As far as her preexisting conditions I would contact your local medicaid office and ask them directly.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  10. Senior Member
    Oh, by the way, has he thought about applying for a job with the DOD? Then you would still be covered under TriCare...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast