Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: question about BAH and Geographical Bachelors

1. Senior Member
    San Antonio, TX & Hubz is in Camp Lejeune, NC
    Blog Entries

question about BAH and Geographical Bachelors

Advertisements
    HI!

My husband lives in Camp Lejeune, NC while I live in San Antonio, TX because I am going through school. DH lives in the baracks, but he gets BAH + seperation pay for me because I live in an apartment. He is about to pick up rank to become sgt, and he is hearing rumors that they will make him leave the baracks and he will need to get a place out in town. That means that the BAH money we get will have to be stretched out for the two of us, and we will be barely scraping by. Some people told me that since he is a geohraphical bachelor, meaning that his spouse is an x number of miles away from him, that the military cannot kick him out of the baracks.

please tell me anything you know about this kind of siuation.

we are Marine Corps if that makes a difference.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure of marine ranks. But we are getting ready to geo bach. we were told that DH can only stay in the barracks if there is space available. He is an E5.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thats about right, we just finished geo batch and my DH is an E5, he stayed in barracks with another guy. and we go the BAH associated with where HE is not where I am, which kinda works on our favor right now. I don't think they'll kick him out though.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We did Geo-bachelor for a while, and we got BAH for the area that I was in. I'm not really sure about whether or not he would have to move out of the barracks. I do think that it does come down to space avalible thing though. I'll ask dh when he gets home.
  5. Senior Member
    If they make him move out, and they're giving you BAH because you have an apartment, they will just add extra BAH for him for his location. At least, that's how I understand it to work. Have him call his finance office. They can give a definite answer to him.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by petsparkle View Post
    If they make him move out, and they're giving you BAH because you have an apartment, they will just add extra BAH for him for his location. At least, that's how I understand it to work. Have him call his finance office. They can give a definite answer to him.
    this is not how it works:

the AD member will get only one BAH- and at E5 or above almost all branches require the geo bach to get his own place- whether it is with a room mate or not-

also- to the OP: you should not be getting sep pay-
    I beleive with all branches Sep Pay is not authorised for GEO BACH situations-
    they consider it a choice to live apart-
    I would suggest haivng your DH check on this because if you get caught it could be very messy and to have to pay it all back would take a long time -
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by petsparkle View Post
    No, no, no.
    BAH for geo-bachelors is paid at the regular rate for that MM at the duty station to which they are assigned. There is no extra given if they lose their barracks room. You will simply be expected to make it work and finance both households on the BAH you are entitled to. To the military, you are making a choice to be separated knowing what income you have - it is up to you to be sure you are able to afford that choice, not them.
    I am actually surprised to hear the OP state they are receiving separation allowance on top of the BAH because that is also contrary to how geo-bach finance works. Separation allowance is compensation for involuntary separations of the family

O/T - OP, my DH is also a geo-bach at Le Jeune (well, he is actually over by the air station)
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    No, no, no.
    BAH for geo-bachelors is paid at the regular rate for that MM at the duty station to which they are assigned. There is no extra given if they lose their barracks room. You will simply be expected to make it work and finance both households on the BAH you are entitled to. To the military, you are making a choice to be separated knowing what income you have - it is up to you to be sure you are able to afford that choice, not them.
    I am actually surprised to hear the OP state they are receiving separation allowance on top of the BAH because that is also contrary to how geo-bach finance works. Separation allowance is compensation for involuntary separations of the family

O/T - OP, my DH is also a geo-bach at Le Jeune (well, he is actually over by the air station)

My husband was a geo when he was an E-6 and he was able to stay in the barecks the whole 1 1/2 years he was a geo. He never got family sep pay though.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    this is not how it works:

the AD member will get only one BAH- and at E5 or above almost all branches require the geo bach to get his own place- whether it is with a room mate or not-

also- to the OP: you should not be getting sep pay-
    I beleive with all branches Sep Pay is not authorised for GEO BACH situations-
    they consider it a choice to live apart-
    I would suggest haivng your DH check on this because if you get caught it could be very messy and to have to pay it all back would take a long time -
    I think it all depends on the situation. We have been geobaching for 2 1/2 years now. DH is E-6 & lives on the ship. So it might be different for other branches. He's never been told he had to get his own place.

Same goes with sep pay. DH got it when deployed just like everyone else! But when not deployed, he does not get it! But of course that is an involuntary seperation!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    No, no, no.

Exactly! You will NOT get extra BAH if he looses his barracks! And the BAH is all now based on where the servicemember is stationed, not where the spouse is. The rules have changed because a lot of people would claim their DW was in an expensive area while they were in a lower cost of living area & bank the money. Regardless of where the family is, it is always where the AD is!
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    I think it all depends on the situation. We have been geobaching for 2 1/2 years now. DH is E-6 & lives on the ship. So it might be different for other branches. He's never been told he had to get his own place.

Same goes with sep pay. DH got it when deployed just like everyone else! But when not deployed, he does not get it! But of course that is an involuntary seperation!

Exactly! You will NOT get extra BAH if he looses his barracks! And the BAH is all now based on where the servicemember is stationed, not where the spouse is. The rules have changed because a lot of people would claim their DW was in an expensive area while they were in a lower cost of living area & bank the money. Regardless of where the family is, it is always where the AD is!

ships are different than barracks--
    and YES you are entitled to sep pay when they are deployed or at school or underway- BUT not every single month for LIVING seperately..
    there is a huge difference.