Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: question about BAH and Geographical Bachelors

  1. Senior Member
    MissJasmin25's Avatar
    MissJasmin25 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX & Hubz is in Camp Lejeune, NC
    Posts
    1,281
    Blog Entries
    2
    #1

    question about BAH and Geographical Bachelors

    Advertisements
    HI!

    My husband lives in Camp Lejeune, NC while I live in San Antonio, TX because I am going through school. DH lives in the baracks, but he gets BAH + seperation pay for me because I live in an apartment. He is about to pick up rank to become sgt, and he is hearing rumors that they will make him leave the baracks and he will need to get a place out in town. That means that the BAH money we get will have to be stretched out for the two of us, and we will be barely scraping by. Some people told me that since he is a geohraphical bachelor, meaning that his spouse is an x number of miles away from him, that the military cannot kick him out of the baracks.

    please tell me anything you know about this kind of siuation.

    we are Marine Corps if that makes a difference.
  2. Banned
    Donna's Avatar
    Donna is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    16,880
    Blog Entries
    1
    #2
    I am not sure of marine ranks. But we are getting ready to geo bach. we were told that DH can only stay in the barracks if there is space available. He is an E5.
  3. Senior Member
    pennylayne's Avatar
    pennylayne is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,888
    Blog Entries
    2
    #3
    Thats about right, we just finished geo batch and my DH is an E5, he stayed in barracks with another guy. and we go the BAH associated with where HE is not where I am, which kinda works on our favor right now. I don't think they'll kick him out though.
  4. Senior Member
    Callie's Avatar
    Callie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dededo, Guam
    Posts
    10,127
    Blog Entries
    1
    #4
    We did Geo-bachelor for a while, and we got BAH for the area that I was in. I'm not really sure about whether or not he would have to move out of the barracks. I do think that it does come down to space avalible thing though. I'll ask dh when he gets home.
  5. Senior Member
    petsparkle's Avatar
    petsparkle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,131
    #5
    If they make him move out, and they're giving you BAH because you have an apartment, they will just add extra BAH for him for his location. At least, that's how I understand it to work. Have him call his finance office. They can give a definite answer to him.
  6. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by petsparkle View Post
    If they make him move out, and they're giving you BAH because you have an apartment, they will just add extra BAH for him for his location. At least, that's how I understand it to work. Have him call his finance office. They can give a definite answer to him.
    this is not how it works:

    the AD member will get only one BAH- and at E5 or above almost all branches require the geo bach to get his own place- whether it is with a room mate or not-

    also- to the OP: you should not be getting sep pay-
    I beleive with all branches Sep Pay is not authorised for GEO BACH situations-
    they consider it a choice to live apart-
    I would suggest haivng your DH check on this because if you get caught it could be very messy and to have to pay it all back would take a long time -
  7. Banned
    Miss B Hav'n's Avatar
    Miss B Hav'n is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Inducky :-)
    Posts
    11,120
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by petsparkle View Post
    If they make him move out, and they're giving you BAH because you have an apartment, they will just add extra BAH for him for his location. At least, that's how I understand it to work. Have him call his finance office. They can give a definite answer to him.
    No, no, no.
    BAH for geo-bachelors is paid at the regular rate for that MM at the duty station to which they are assigned. There is no extra given if they lose their barracks room. You will simply be expected to make it work and finance both households on the BAH you are entitled to. To the military, you are making a choice to be separated knowing what income you have - it is up to you to be sure you are able to afford that choice, not them.
    I am actually surprised to hear the OP state they are receiving separation allowance on top of the BAH because that is also contrary to how geo-bach finance works. Separation allowance is compensation for involuntary separations of the family

    O/T - OP, my DH is also a geo-bach at Le Jeune (well, he is actually over by the air station)
  8. I'm Awesome
    IMakeLotsaBabies's Avatar
    IMakeLotsaBabies is offline
    I'm Awesome
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    48,426

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    No, no, no.
    BAH for geo-bachelors is paid at the regular rate for that MM at the duty station to which they are assigned. There is no extra given if they lose their barracks room. You will simply be expected to make it work and finance both households on the BAH you are entitled to. To the military, you are making a choice to be separated knowing what income you have - it is up to you to be sure you are able to afford that choice, not them.
    I am actually surprised to hear the OP state they are receiving separation allowance on top of the BAH because that is also contrary to how geo-bach finance works. Separation allowance is compensation for involuntary separations of the family

    O/T - OP, my DH is also a geo-bach at Le Jeune (well, he is actually over by the air station)


    My husband was a geo when he was an E-6 and he was able to stay in the barecks the whole 1 1/2 years he was a geo. He never got family sep pay though.
  9. Senior Member
    Debra's Avatar
    Debra is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    20,671
    Blog Entries
    1
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    this is not how it works:

    the AD member will get only one BAH- and at E5 or above almost all branches require the geo bach to get his own place- whether it is with a room mate or not-

    also- to the OP: you should not be getting sep pay-
    I beleive with all branches Sep Pay is not authorised for GEO BACH situations-
    they consider it a choice to live apart-
    I would suggest haivng your DH check on this because if you get caught it could be very messy and to have to pay it all back would take a long time -
    I think it all depends on the situation. We have been geobaching for 2 1/2 years now. DH is E-6 & lives on the ship. So it might be different for other branches. He's never been told he had to get his own place.

    Same goes with sep pay. DH got it when deployed just like everyone else! But when not deployed, he does not get it! But of course that is an involuntary seperation!

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    No, no, no.
    BAH for geo-bachelors is paid at the regular rate for that MM at the duty station to which they are assigned. There is no extra given if they lose their barracks room. You will simply be expected to make it work and finance both households on the BAH you are entitled to. To the military, you are making a choice to be separated knowing what income you have - it is up to you to be sure you are able to afford that choice, not them.
    I am actually surprised to hear the OP state they are receiving separation allowance on top of the BAH because that is also contrary to how geo-bach finance works. Separation allowance is compensation for involuntary separations of the family

    O/T - OP, my DH is also a geo-bach at Le Jeune (well, he is actually over by the air station)
    Exactly! You will NOT get extra BAH if he looses his barracks! And the BAH is all now based on where the servicemember is stationed, not where the spouse is. The rules have changed because a lot of people would claim their DW was in an expensive area while they were in a lower cost of living area & bank the money. Regardless of where the family is, it is always where the AD is!
  10. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    I think it all depends on the situation. We have been geobaching for 2 1/2 years now. DH is E-6 & lives on the ship. So it might be different for other branches. He's never been told he had to get his own place.

    Same goes with sep pay. DH got it when deployed just like everyone else! But when not deployed, he does not get it! But of course that is an involuntary seperation!



    Exactly! You will NOT get extra BAH if he looses his barracks! And the BAH is all now based on where the servicemember is stationed, not where the spouse is. The rules have changed because a lot of people would claim their DW was in an expensive area while they were in a lower cost of living area & bank the money. Regardless of where the family is, it is always where the AD is!

    ships are different than barracks--
    and YES you are entitled to sep pay when they are deployed or at school or underway- BUT not every single month for LIVING seperately..
    there is a huge difference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •