Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military Discounts? Plane Tickets?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Help Military Discounts? Plane Tickets?

Advertisements
    So it has been my understanding that;
    1 military people get really good discounts on airline tickets
    2 They can fly on military planes for free

Is this accurate???
    [/URL]
    You're My Wife Select. You've been approved for the position you just have to go through the ceremony
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    here is some info on flying free!
    http://www.military.com/Travel/Conte...erview,00.html
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

It depends on the availability. You can get a HOP, but I'm not quite sure how that works state to state, I know it is fairly easy to do it from Seatle to Japan though. Sorry

4. Banned
    Banned
    LOL Military discount being good = not accurate as far as I can tell.

Space A flights are very cheap if not free, but I believe that they're only as available and you could be sitting there all day waiting and still not get a flight.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyKat View Post
    So it has been my understanding that;
    1 military people get really good discounts on airline tickets
    2 They can fly on military planes for free

Is this accurate???
    Yes and no.

Discounts on airline tickets tend to be comparable to what anyone else can get; you're generally better off getting the airline's 'excursion fare' or something like that. The times the military status comes in handy is if you need to get a last-minute flight, the airlines may be willing to work with you and offer the excursion fare even though you may not meet their requirements for that fare. Also, because I was military, I was able to get "unlimited free stopovers" on a flight I took from Japan to Florida for my neice's wedding several years back. Because of the free stopovers, I was able to route my flight through Chicago and spend a few days on both ends with my mother. Without the free stopovers, I would have had to pay for an additional trip.

Now, military members are eligible for free travel on military aircraft (called space-a or space-available travel, through MAC). It's great, but you have to travel at the time the military is flying, and to the places they fly. For example- I flew space-a to Spain a few years back, and we had an evening layover in Lajes (the Azores). I wasn't in a hurt for time so it worked out. On the way back, we had a refeuling stop in Newfoundland, so we all had to get off the plane and hang for an hour in the terminal at Gander. Also- the only reason I was able to fly that particular flight was because I was the retired military member (as opposed to being a dependent). They weren't taking family members on that aircraft, but they allowed me to fly.

Using space-a, you also have to meet certain criteria, and they have a priority list for boarding. you can get bumped off the flight anywhere at any time if a person with a higher priority needs the seat. Also, flights get changed, re-routed, cancelled and added at the last minute, so you need to be sure that you have the resources to grab a last-minute commercial flight if time is of the essence, and that last-minute one-way commercial flight may end up costing you more than a commercial round-trip ticket would have cost.
  6. Senior Member
    The whole thing with Military discounts on flights...WRONG..they suck!! I called to see how much of a "discount" it was. Lets just say that I was able to book online through them for 1/2 the price for the same day and same flights. Im like where's the discount?
    DF: i still think your too good to be with a guy like me but i am thankful everyday that i found you
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I think the supposed military discount is off the refundable fare, which no one ever buys anywys, so it brings the price down somewhere near the non refundable rate you can find online.

Posted via Mobile Device
  8. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    the discount on the tickets is usually on a full fare( all the bells and whistle tickets) ticket not the already discounted price. Like eelo stated they are usually helpful when you are trying to get a last minute flight or the like. Sometimes however you can get lucky and wind up with a good discount. Also sometimes the discount is the govt rate which is not always a discount, but rather a set rate that they charge the govt.

As for Space A i know they have changed the rules but it used to be you can't fly as a dependent without a sponsor with you ( aside from overseas) but like I said rules have changed recently and i am not up to speed on all that. and yes Space A is very unreliable and if you have firm plans they are not the best choice.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    The short answer "No."
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  10. Senior Member
    We have a friend who's flight home to the states was going to be 1000 bucks on Delta, but he called the number and they kept transfering him, he paid 340... so is always worth checking I think.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast