Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAH question please....

1. Senior Member

BAH question please....

Advertisements
    Hi, I am getting married this fall and I have a question about housing allowance...

My soldier deploys soon, not quite sure when, but when he goes out I will most likely live at home with my parents. Because I am doing this, will I not be able to take any housing allowance if the title is not in my name? I was just thinking that it would be nice to be able to take that money and put it aside for when he gets home, but the Army probably has a rule against that, right? Does it have something to do with DEERS?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbear View Post
    Hi, I am getting married this fall and I have a question about housing allowance...

My soldier deploys soon, not quite sure when, but when he goes out I will most likely live at home with my parents. Because I am doing this, will I not be able to take any housing allowance if the title is not in my name? I was just thinking that it would be nice to be able to take that money and put it aside for when he gets home, but the Army probably has a rule against that, right? Does it have something to do with DEERS?
    The housing allowance is paid to the military member based on the location of his/her dependents. You wouldn't be able to "take" it; he'd have to set up an allottment or if you had joint access to his account you could access the money from there. Just keep in mind that housing allowance is paid to the military member for the purpose of providing a home for his/her dependents.

If you're his legal dependent and are listed as such on his paperwork, the Army doesn't care what HE does with the money HE is paid. Now, if you and he have an arrangement in which you'd be banking the funds, that's great..... but it's his money, paid to him.
  3. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    you'll need to draw up some kind of rental agreement with your parents normally to receive BAH after you are married.
  4. Pregnant with Baby #2
    Pregnant with Baby #2
    If a soldier is married he gets BAH. Whether you are renting or living with family. Your BAH will be based on the base where he is stationed though, not on the area your family lives in.
    This is my shrine to Bryanna... she rocks!!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
    If a soldier is married he gets BAH. Whether you are renting or living with family. Your BAH will be based on the base where he is stationed though, not on the area your family lives in.
    thank you that is very helpful! I was hoping that'd be it. thanks ladies I appreciate it!
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
    I have always got BAH for the area *I* lived in, not where Dh was stationed. When I was in Texas and dh was in San Diego, I did not get BAH for San Diego, I got it for Ft. Worth, TX. Same thing when Dh was in Chicago and I was in Ft. Worth I go BAH for Ft. Worth.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    I have always got BAH for the area *I* lived in, not where Dh was stationed. When I was in Texas and dh was in San Diego, I did not get BAH for San Diego, I got it for Ft. Worth, TX. Same thing when Dh was in Chicago and I was in Ft. Worth I go BAH for Ft. Worth.
    We've always got bah for where our home was, not where he was. You will need to come up with some kind of rental agreement from your parents as far as I know.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I have never had a rental agreement with my family.. Does your dh have you enrolled in deers yet and on his orders that he is married yet? that does make a difference
    Loving wifey to EMSJunkie911 and OliveJuice
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by withyounear View Post
    I have never had a rental agreement with my family.. Does your dh have you enrolled in deers yet and on his orders that he is married yet? that does make a difference
    we're not married yet. he's still in boot so he hasn't started any of that. atleast as far as i'm aware.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbear View Post
    we're not married yet. he's still in boot so he hasn't started any of that. atleast as far as i'm aware.
    Whoa, well then cancel everything we've told you. There's NO allowance if he's not married.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast