Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: In this situation, what would you do?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • have the blood test done, provide credit card info

0 0%
  • have the blood test done, not provide card info, hope to recieve the results anyway

2 25.00%
  • not have the test done, have aminio done to test baby instead

2 25.00%
  • not have any tests done, just wait and see

2 25.00%
  • I have no idea what I would do

2 25.00%
  • other (any other suggestions...)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: prior authorization question...

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

prior authorization question...

Advertisements
    Ok, so I carry a gene for hypophosphatasia and we had genetics counceling today. The genetic councelor found a lab that can do the test with just a blood sample and wants to have my husband tested because if he isn't a carrier then there is no need for further testing on me and the baby. The test costs $1500. She's trying to get Tricare to authorize the test but isn't sure if they will. Has anyone else dealt with genetic testing and getting Tricare to cover the cost?
    I'm a little worried because the lab doing the test requires us to provide a credit card number in case the insurance doesn't pay our card will be charged... and we don't even have a card with that much money available on it.
    any experiences with getting things like this covered?
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Personally, even if I knew Tricare was covering a service, I wouldn't feel comfortable handing over my billing information over like that. Good luck Katie!!!
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    First you should call Tricare ( before they do any blood draw) to ask if they cover that specific test. Talk to as many people as possible and get everyones name. THEN make sure you ask them for the correct code and what not so you can relay that to the lab ( so you won't wind up with bills coming and what not) Also inform the lab you don't have a credit card ( even if you did I would advise the same thing) because if tricare did cover the test and the billed it wrong they would charge your card and then you would have to fight like hell to work it out.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    The thing is that there is only one genetic lab in the entire united states that offers the test (which will prevent me from having to have testing done on the baby now or after birth) and this lab requires a credit card number even if there is prior authorization from the insurance company. When I was pregnant with Kylee, we chose not to have any testing done, and they didn't offer such things as testing my husband for the gene. He had an alkaline phosphate test done which came back low, meaning he COULD be a carrier for the gene. I was tested when I was 2 and I am a carrier for the gene. The test that was provided back then was long and drawn out and is no longer offered.
    I'm trying to decide whether to have any testing done at all.
    ETA: The lab at the base hospital will not draw the blood until Tricare has authorized it.
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i added a poll... what would you do??

6. Senior Member
    will the outcome fo the test change anything with your pregnancy???if not why do it???

I'm a firm believer that if the testing they do won't change the outcome I'm not doing it...I don't do any of the AFP or anything while I'm pregnant.
  7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mackenziesmommy View Post
    will the outcome fo the test change anything with your pregnancy???if not why do it???

I'm a firm believer that if the testing they do won't change the outcome I'm not doing it...I don't do any of the AFP or anything while I'm pregnant.
    good point. I personally would not hand over my CC info to the lab. No way would I possibly pay a 1500 dollar lab fee.
    It is up to you but if the testing won't change anything why torture yourself?

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I wouldn't get the testing done either, for reasons MM mentioned. Sure the results may prepare you for the worst, but it wouldn't change the outcome...
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    note: i'm not on tri-care yet... so i'm not sure who they work

but from what i've noticed between life experience, and what i've learned in class: 'if it's not common, then it's not covered' is a good thing to go by, at least when it comes to new procedures.

i wouldn't do it until i knew it was covered, it just seems really weird they want a credit card number.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I really have no idea what I would do. Let me think on it some more and then I'll vote
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast