Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: HELP ON MED BOARD QUESTIONS PLEASE

1. LOVING MY DEVILDOG
    LOVING MY DEVILDOG
    ME OUTER BANKS /TRAINING FOR ANOTHER DEPLOY

Help HELP ON MED BOARD QUESTIONS PLEASE

Advertisements
    This was posted by my daughter in law on her army wife chat board and she cant seem to get any answers so I told her I would post it on my chat board cause our chat board rocks and I think it is a little larger in perspective so I would appreciate greatly nay help or answers you can give her thank you in advance ladies

Well, I dont really know what to say as I am still trying to process a lot that happened the past couple weeks. My husband had some set backs after his surgeries and his unit is just being stubborn and assanine about paying attention to his profile and what the doctor says. Because of all of this, hubby is talking very seriously about med board. I support him in what he wants, but yet, I'm not sure this is really what will be best for us. It just seems as though there are so many things that are uncertain and it is proving to be really difficult in finding information about medical discharge and what you will, wont, could or could not get. So many things are contradicting each other that he and I are just more confused than ever.

When I posted a while ago when Michael's sgt first told him that medical discharge may be an option for me, some of you were quite helpful. But now that it is seeming like it is closer to beocming a reality, I have more questions. First off, I really do not think they would say that he is fit for duty seeing as he has to insert a catheter several times a day. (His doctor has already told him point blank that he would not be considered deployable). But what I don't quite understand is the ratings. I think I read somewhere that this the percentage of his base pay he would get, but dont remember at this point. How are the ratings determined? Is it related to time in service, rank, severity of the medical condition? I just do not understand, and that is the theme of my life right now. Also, I am worried about health insurance, mainly because I would think that if he isn't covered and we have to get him new insurance, his urethral stricture would be considered a pre existing condition and may not be covered and we definitely wouldn't be able to afford it if he needed a surgery again. So would he have insurance? S-, I know you said that standard is free and prime is $40 a month. Is this just for him, or would it cover me too? I am not so worried about myself because I am healthy and very rarely need insurance so I would be able to get myself insurance through a job or whatever.

I also don't know how the process gets started. Michael's doctor is actually an Air Force doctor, which is why she and we are thinking Michael's unit hasn't been willing to listen to her. So she has told him to talk to one of the doctors on base here at Eustis to be her point of contact and to get things moving. What exactly is it that gets the ball moving? I am assuming there is paperwork (isn't there always in the Army?), but is there anything other than that? Has anyone's husband that has gone through the process faced any retaliation or trouble from their units? I just do not see Michael going med board being taken nicely by his unit and am wondering if there is anything to do to avoid any unpleasantness that may rear its ugly head.

The last thing on my mind in relation to a medical discharge right now is just simply that I am scared. All of the questions and uncertainty just have me completely rattled and overwhelmed. I am worried about what do we do about a new lease if the med board isn't done by the time our lease is over. What if its all done and over with before our lease ends. Do I just try to go back home and get a new job so that I can start establishing up back there or stay here with him. The questions just keep tumbling around in my head. And the one that is getting me the most right now is that we were hoping to start our family next year. But if he does get med boarded, I really don't see how we can do that. How is it that the uncertain and always up in the air life of the Army can seem so stable now compared to what may be ahead of us? Am I the only one that has felt this scared about this and if not, what can I do to relax a little bit.

Thanks ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Senior Member
    its a tough decision. DB was med boarded last year when he was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. He was diagnosed in July and it took us until March or very beginning of April to get the final decision. Then again we were contesting a medical discharge. DB was able to stay in. But the MEB can take forever.

The last thing you want to do is try and blame the service for his condition or aggravating it. That will get you no where but more and more red tape. There should be a local med board on your base. Talk to your military personnel office. And his doctor about if it is something that is feasible. Depending on his condition, I wouldn't expect much of a severance package. DB was offered only 20% disability.

Talk to him and see if there are other reasons he wants out...there may be an underlying reason. Good luck!
  3. LOVING MY DEVILDOG
    LOVING MY DEVILDOG
    Thank you so much for your answer I will pass it on any others? experiences?
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    my husband is in the middle of his med board process right now. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I'll tell you what I do know. from my understanding severence pay is monthly base pay times 2 times number of years served. VA disability is dependent on severity of the condition. If you recieve more than 30% disability your family is eligible for VA tricare program.
    the doctors start the process, a packet will be sent through the chain of command and then to Texas, then an offer will be sent back to him based on what they decide. He can either accept the offer or appeal the offer.
    Things such as military retirement, bulk amounts of money, and other things may also be offered. Every med board is different and is totally dependent on the case by case situation. I have seen some people's be complete in 3 weeks, and some take 3 years... it just depends.
    In my husband's case, we have been told we are looking at 6-9 more months til it is complete.
    hope this helps.
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  5. LOVING MY DEVILDOG
    LOVING MY DEVILDOG
    Thank you I have passed this on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!