Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you prefer living on or off post/base

1. Senior Member

Do you prefer living on or off post/base

Advertisements
    Only b/c I know post housing is only temporary, I suck it up for the benefits. Right now we live on post housing but our subdivision is not on post(very confusing) I put our name on the housing list for ON post, and it could be as early as a few months to as laste as a yr that i'd get a call. Of course everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting to move with kids and 2 large dogs while hubby is deployed..but hey...i thrive on stress lol. Plus they are bldg new houses, and they are VERY nice, very upscale looking!

What is the longest amt of time you've waited to get on housing? Do you prefer living on or off!
    Last edited by BTDT; 05-20-2008 at 09:10 AM.
    Deployments don't last forever, they just feel like it

2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

We have always lived on base and haven't waited any longer then two weeks to get into a house.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Of all the things I am, 'sweet' is not one of them
    Of all the things I am, 'sweet' is not one of them
    My father was an O7 in the Navy, so I've always lived in really wonderful housing... when I told DF that I wanted to live on base, he said, "Baby, I'm enlisted, its not going to be what you're used to"

Soooo... I'm not sure which one I want to do yet. I do know that we'll be living off base in ID because we need to be halfway between my job in Boise and his on base... but thats my choice.
    ing My Family With All That I Am
  4. BJo
    Banned
    Banned
    We've never lived on post but I don't think we would want to. It's just a personal preference.
  5. Senior Member
    I lived on post, with my dad, until I was 15. I will never live on post again. My husband and I prefer to keep our private life separate from the military, and also enjoy being able to be picky about small details in a home, save money by pocketing leftover BAH, and have a very large yard for our two dogs, who are our family(something you definitely won't find on all posts is a half acre lot like we have now.). No offense to those that live on post, but it is definitely not our thing.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    After living on post this past year, I'd say my preference is definitely off post. We are moving in a few days and will be renting (its only a year), then we we get somewhere a tad more permanent we will be buying.

I think junior officers have the worst housing out of everyone.. our housing here is a disaster.
  7. Live in the moment
    Live in the moment
    I like living on base. It's take my dh 2 minutes to get to work, I love if something breaks they come fix it for free, ect. The longest I've ever waited for housing is 4 weeks.
  8. Senior Member
    Rent here is RIDICULOUS! You'd be hard pressed to find a NICE house under 1,200, and our bah is only slightly higher than that. We would definitely be be coming out of our pocket for utilities. If rent weren't so high, then off post would be an option

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
    I lived on post, with my dad, until I was 15. I will never live on post again. My husband and I prefer to keep our private life separate from the military, and also enjoy being able to be picky about small details in a home, save money by pocketing leftover BAH, and have a very large yard for our two dogs, who are our family(something you definitely won't find on all posts is a half acre lot like we have now.). No offense to those that live on post, but it is definitely not our thing.

Sr. enlisted housing here is right on par with the officr housing, but I know it's not like that everywhere.

10. Senior Member
    I have never lived on base/post. We lived in the ghetto of Portsmouth when we were first together/married and then bought our own home in June 07.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast