Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the ASYMCA and how can they help you?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

What is the ASYMCA and how can they help you?

Advertisements
    The Armed Services YMCA (ASYMCA), a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, is a national member association of the YMCA of the USA and works with the Department of Defense.

Headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, the ASYMCA has provided support services to military service members and their families for more than 140 years, particularly focused on junior-enlisted men and women – the individuals on the front lines defending our nation and their families.

ASYMCA operates at 16 dedicated branch locations and nine affiliated community YMCAs, as well as six Department of Defense/Department of Homeland Security affiliates worldwide.

ASYMCA offers essential programs such as:
    • childcare
    • hospital assistance
    • spouse support services
    • food services
    • computer training classes
    • health and wellness services, and
    • holiday meals, among many others.

In 2006 alone, more than 9,133 individuals nationwide volunteered their time to the ASYMCA, logging 214,622 volunteer hours.

ASYMCA operates a multitude of educational, recreational, and family programs that support military personnel, their spouses, and their children. Some operate at single ASYMCA branch locations. Others operate at multiple locations and are customized to meet the specific needs of that community, ranging from recreation and fitness to educational and financial support.

SERVICES OFFERED:

Family Services:

ASYMCA programs aim to bring families closer together while at home and especially during deployment. Healthy families contribute substantially to the success of service members and the entire military, providing confidence and peace of mind. Highlights of local programs include:

• Home Visit Counseling
    • Crisis Counseling
    • Respite Care
    • In-Home Parenting Education
    • Emergency Food Supplies
    • Young Family Support
    • Family Unity
    • Mom and Tots Time
    • Sharing Caring Moms
    • Family Grams
    • Daddy & Me/Mommy & Me
    • Food for Families
    • Family Abuse Shelter
    • Child Abuse Prevention
    • Parenting Workshops
    • Infant Car Seat Loan
    • Mother/Daughter Tea

For You, The Spouse:

Few people outside of military families can imagine the strain of worrying about a service husband or wife, especially one who is deployed. A vast array of ASYMCA programs help spouses of junior-enlisted learn life skills, care for children, and even make ends meet. Local programs include:

• Spouses Morning/Night/Day Out
    • Spouse Support and Craft Groups
    • Separate But Together
    • Couples Night
    • Enlisted Wives Club
    • Holiday Dinners and Dances
    • Active Duty Pregnancy Classes
    • Late Night Recreational Activities
    • Sign Language Classes
    • Parenting Workshops

For the Kids:

The children of deployed parents are the ones who suffer most; confusion, loneliness, and depression are common. ASYMCA programs educate, entertain, stimulate, and comfort young minds, helping them understand and cope with the absence of their parent. ASYMCA has several local and national programs for military children, including:

Local:

• Summer Camps
    • Military Children’s Fair
    • Teen Programs
    • Kids Zone Parties
    • Late Night Recreational Activities
    • After School Enrichment
    • Chess/Game Tournaments
    • Pre-school on Wheels
    • Healthy Kids Day
    • Child Care
    • Children’s Waiting Room
    • Kids In Action
    • Support Group for Siblings of Special Needs Children
    • Kids Olympics
    • Sign Language Classes
    • Y on Wheels

National:
    Art and Essay Contests
    Operation Kid Comfort a program that provides free quilts to young children.
    Operation Outdoors a camp program for kids and families.
    Read about two featured national programs, Art and Essay Contests, and Operation Kid Comfort.

Medical and Health Care Assistance:

ASYMCA provides supplemental healthcare and medical assistance to junior-enlisted military personnel and their families, ranging from financial assistance for eyeglasses to babysitting so that moms and dads can attend medical appointments. ASYMCA even offers non-medical advice and assistance on the base to military spouses needing information about infant childcare. Programs offered at local branches include:

Recreation Therapy
    Volunteers in Pediatrics
    Infant Immunization Follow-up
    Children’s Pre-Operating Program
    Neonatal Intensive Care Reunion
    Support Groups for Parents with Children of Special Needs
    Healing Hearts
    Aquacise (aquatics program)
    Breast Cancer Awareness Group
    Active Duty Pregnancy Classes
    Respite Care
    CPR Training/First Aid
    Discount Vision Service/Free Eye Exams

Education:

ASYMCA offers a number of educational programs for both children and adults, ranging from programs offered on-site at ASYMCA to financial assistance to support ongoing learning. Local programs/services offered include:

Tuition Assistance
    After School Enrichment
    Computer Classes
    ABCs and 123s
    General Education Diploma
    English as Second Language
    Preschool
    Special Interest Classes for Adults
    Financial Management Classes
    Child Literacy Program
    Before- and After-school Tutoring
    Operation Hero

Nationally, one of ASYMCA’s keystone programs is Operation Hero, a program that aids children from six to 12 years of age who are experiencing temporary difficulty in school, both socially and academically.
    Often these difficulties are caused by frequent moves and family disruption due to deployments. Referred by teachers, parents, or school officials, the semester-long program provides after-school tutoring and mentoring assistance in a small group with certified teachers. Operation Hero facilitates a positive environment, encourages responsible behavior, and gets children back on track in school, both academically and socially.

Operation Hero has served 5,000 students since its inception, and has expanded to now serve more than 1,300 students per year. Operation Hero is sponsored by General Dynamics, Sodexho USA, and the Marine Corps.

Recreation and Fitness:

ASYMCA keeps children and adults entertained and active to build and maintain a healthy lifestyle. We offer a variety of programs designed to meet the specific needs of each branch. In San Diego, ASYMCA operates a program at the Naval Medical Center for hospital patients to enjoy recreation activities such as trips with great seats to Padre games, therapy dog visitation, and aquatics classes. Our branch in Twentynine Palms offers activities for children under five while parents use Base fitness equipment or attend Yoga classes.

Other local branch programs include:

Dance Classes
    Tae Kwon Do
    Pilates/Yoga
    Walking Groups
    Self-Worth Workshops
    USDA Child
    Nutrition Program
    First Aid/CPR
    Healthy Lifestyles Classes
    Youth Sports, Camps, and Aquatics
    Golf Tournaments
    10K Races
    Certified Aerobics Classes
    All Services Enlisted Baseball
    Skiing, Hiking, and
    Seasonal Outings

Branches:

ASYMCA operates in 16 dedicated branch locations:

Altus, OK
    Anchorage, AK (also provides programs in Fairbanks, AK)
    Bremerton, WA
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Camp Pendleton, CA
    El Paso, TX
    Fayetteville, NC
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Honolulu, HI
    Killeen, TX
    Lawton, OK
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Pulaski County, MO
    San Diego, CA
    Twentynine Palms, CA

ASYMCA Headquarters
    6359 Walker Lane, Suite 200
    Alexandria, Virginia 22310
    (703) 313-9600

Affiliates:
    To deliver programs and services to junior-enlisted military personnel and their families near military facilities throughout the United States, ASYMCA has established affiliations with seven community YMCAs serving these military bases:

Alameda Coast Guard Station: YMCA of East Bay (Oakland, CA)
    Fort Carson/Peterson AFB: Southeast Family YMCA (Colorado Springs, CO)
    Fort Drum: Watertown Family YMCA (Watertown, NY)
    Fort Gordon: Augusta South/Armed Services (Augusta, GA)
    Fort Riley: Junction City Family YMCA (Junction City, KS)
    Fort Stewart: Liberty County Armed Services YMCA (Savannah, GA)
    Naval Air Station Lemoore: YMCA of King's County (Hanford, CA)
    Naval Station Everett: YMCA of Snohomish County (Everett, WA)

DoD/DoHS Affiliates:
    ASYMCA has established alliances with the Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) to offer programs at six additional military bases around the world, including spouse support groups, children’s programs, computer training, and after-school homework help (Operation Hero).
    Beale AFB, California
    Fort Huachuca, Arizona
    Fort Lee, Virginia
    Kadena AFB, Japan
    Travis AFB, California
    USCG Greater Antilles Section, San Juan, Puerto Rico

http://www.asymca.org/index.html
    Last edited by Brandi; 06-22-2008 at 02:04 PM.
  2. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    It's a great resource that I wish more families knew about. I've recommended it to G for his sailors on several occasions.. I'm so glad that the director came and spoke at the meeting last year...

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMc424 View Post
    It's a great resource that I wish more families knew about. I've recommended it to G for his sailors on several occasions.. I'm so glad that the director came and spoke at the meeting last year...
    I had never even heard of it prior to that spouse meeting, and now I feel like it's some sort of little secret hidden treasure. It's like seriously the best resource I think we have available right now. It's a shame that more people do not know about all of the services they offer. At least now we have a sticky and can refer people here for things.
  4. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Great info Brandi, thanks!
  5. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    I had never even heard of it prior to that spouse meeting, and now I feel like it's some sort of little secret hidden treasure. It's like seriously the best resource I think we have available right now. It's a shame that more people do not know about all of the services they offer. At least now we have a sticky and can refer people here for things.
    Exactly.. I'd thought it was just another YMCA branch... G's group did most of their carwashes in the parking lot of the MC YMCA last year..

I am kind of bummed that a lot of the programs are for jr. enlisted only.. but we have gotten tickets for events from them before.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I work there! Its great.
  7. Senior Member
    I never knew about this, but there isnt one here, that blows... this base officially sucks
  8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    I have found the reason for a lot of programs, not only ASYMCA being under used is because 1) the sponsor doesn't know about it, 2) the spouse is so overwhelmed with the new lifestyle, that she just stops looking 3)no one knows where to go for information. I have found the last to be true more than anything.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I need to add some of this info to the front page. I had completely forgotten about this sticky.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I clicked on the link and it didn't work.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast