Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Step-children covered by Tricare?

1. Senior Member

Question Step-children covered by Tricare?

Advertisements
    I'm sure that if I searched the forum I could find a similar post, I'm being lazy though, so I'm sorry

I have a 2 year old who lives with us pretty much full-time, he sees his father on weekends, but there is no court orders for visitation, and as far as I know, I have full custody, as he has never paid child support, we were never married, etc. I was just wondering, when DF and I get married, will my son be eligible to be coverd under Tricare? Or, does DF need to adopt him first?

Thank you so much!!
    Ashlee
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes, stepchildren are covered on Tricare. My stepdad had my brother and I on Tricare before I moved out and got married.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Yes, just make sure he is put on his DEERS form as a dependent living with you on a pretty much fulltime basis. There may be some extra paper work for you all to fill out, but it should be pretty easy to get through.
  4. Senior Member
    Thank you girls so much! I've been a little worried about it, I'm glad that it won't be too difficult though!
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Absolutly, ODS is cover with us, just have to register with DEERS and then tricare. No problems at all. ODS also has some medical issues and it is all covered, which is soo helpful as we would be paying thousands out of pocket if it wasn't.

6. Banned
    Banned
    Yes, step-children are covered by TriCare -- however, I would suggest you seek/obtain actual legal custody of your child. I know it may seem unneccessary right now, but you never know what may happen that could create a situation where what is an amicable arrangement now becomes otherwise. Not to frighten you, but w/out an order in place his father could file and usurp your ability to do so. It may seem like a Lifetime story-line but it can, and does, happen where the other parent takes the child for their normal visit, files an ex parte motion and secures temporary custody while seeking a permanent order. It really is better for all involved to have the security of that order being there, imo. The fact that you will be marrying a member of the armed forces only makes it that much more important to secure LEGAL custody of the child as moving is going to become a part of your life soon. Something as major as moving the child who knows how far from the father may take what is a peaceful situation and create a fight for custody.
    Actually, now that I think about it, I had to provide a copy of the custody order for my DD to DEERS once DH and I married so that we could list her as his dependent
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    Yes, step-children are covered by TriCare -- however, I would suggest you seek/obtain actual legal custody of your child. I know it may seem unneccessary right now, but you never know what may happen that could create a situation where what is an amicable arrangement now becomes otherwise. Not to frighten you, but w/out an order in place his father could file and usurp your ability to do so. It may seem like a Lifetime story-line but it can, and does, happen where the other parent takes the child for their normal visit, files an ex parte motion and secures temporary custody while seeking a permanent order. It really is better for all involved to have the security of that order being there, imo.
    Really? How do I go about doing this? I mean, his dad is an... alright guy, and an amazing father. And I know that if there were any question of who would do better having custody of Jamison that Brandon and I would win. His real dad, has no high school diploma, lives with his parents, and doesn't have a job. He is trying to fight me putting Jamie on Tricare, although, cannot cover him under any insurance, which doesn't make sense to me. I guess, I'm still trying to be friend with DS Dad, when I should just put my foot down and be a bitch about it.
  8. tonystarks12
    Benefits are a great thing, especially for children. However you were the one who created that child- knowing what kind of person the father was. If neither of you planned on kids and weren't married - then shame on you both. Legally, just because you marry someone- that person does not automatically get the right to make decisions for and care for a child just because the child lives in the household. That child is the legal responsibility of the two who created it. At the least the father does have a right to know what benefits his child is getting. If you're not in the military, yet are receiving benefits because you married a military member- don't put yourself high on a pedistool. Like it or not, that child is a part of you and his father and will need one of you to be a better person, take the high road and keep animosity limited so that your child can have a better life. Simply, check with the JAG to make sure you don't cross any legal issues getting someone else to register a child that legally belongs to someone else.
  9. Purpur
    Quote Originally Posted by tonystarks12 View Post
    Benefits are a great thing, especially for children. However you were the one who created that child- knowing what kind of person the father was. If neither of you planned on kids and weren't married - then shame on you both. Legally, just because you marry someone- that person does not automatically get the right to make decisions for and care for a child just because the child lives in the household. That child is the legal responsibility of the two who created it. At the least the father does have a right to know what benefits his child is getting. If you're not in the military, yet are receiving benefits because you married a military member- don't put yourself high on a pedistool. Like it or not, that child is a part of you and his father and will need one of you to be a better person, take the high road and keep animosity limited so that your child can have a better life. Simply, check with the JAG to make sure you don't cross any legal issues getting someone else to register a child that legally belongs to someone else.
    wow...interesting first post. Nice to meet you too.

to the OP, it should be fine. I don't understand why your child's dad would fight it though. Unless he thinks it's one step closer to being pushed out of the kids life. You two should try to be civil, especially if he's a good dad! Good luck!
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tonystarks12 View Post

Welcome to SOS?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast