Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: ?? For those near DC

  1. Senior Member
    mikeswife's Avatar
    mikeswife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    761
    #1

    ?? For those near DC

    Advertisements
    Once we rent our house we are moving to be with dh in DC. I am not sure where we are doing to live because we are still looking for a rental house. We are looking at Alexandria and that area.

    My question is about tricare. Are there medical treatment centers there like there are in Virginia Beach or do you see a civilian like I have while we have been in GA?

    Thanks for any informarion.

    Wife To Michael ~10-17-98~
    Momma To Eric ~9-19-06~
  2. Senior Member
    Potatocup's Avatar
    Potatocup is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,564
    #2
    Military treatment facilities abound up here. I went to Bethesda Naval Medical. There is also Dewitt at Ft. Belvoir. I like Bethesda NM a lot although if you are in Alexandria, DeWitt is a lot closer (I never went there so can't comment).

    ETA: there are also family practice centers around, not just hospitals. Forgot about that.
  3. Senior Member
    Potatocup's Avatar
    Potatocup is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,564
  4. Senior Member
    mikeswife's Avatar
    mikeswife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    761
    #4
    Thanks!
    Have you had OB care in DC?
    We just found out we are having another. I had a great expirence with my ob here. The hospital was great. I am a little aprehensive about having to change drs and seeing several different drs, going to a new hospital and all that.
    Thanks again for the informaion.
    Where is bathesda? How far is that from dc and are there metro stations in those areas. I do not really know much about the areas up there.

    Wife To Michael ~10-17-98~
    Momma To Eric ~9-19-06~
  5. Senior Member
    Potatocup's Avatar
    Potatocup is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,564
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeswife View Post
    Thanks!
    Have you had OB care in DC?
    We just found out we are having another. I had a great expirence with my ob here. The hospital was great. I am a little aprehensive about having to change drs and seeing several different drs, going to a new hospital and all that.
    Thanks again for the informaion.
    Where is bathesda? How far is that from dc and are there metro stations in those areas. I do not really know much about the areas up there.
    Congrats on the pregnancy!

    I had my daughter at Bethesda and it was great experience. The only thing i didn't like was that who i saw during the pregnancy was not who delivered her - they have totally different docs doing that. But the docs were great, the hospital was comfortable and i liked everyone there. Bethesda also has one of the best NICUs in the area (thankfully, didn't need it but it was nice to know it was there). You can still see the same person every appt if you can arrange it. I saw a Cdr Rajewski (midwife) during the pregnancy and she was wonderful.

    Bethesda is in MD on the Metro red line (Medical Center stop). It is right across the street from the metro station which is a pretty hefty walk very pregnant but fine otherwise. The drive isn't that bad either.
  6. Account Closed
    CocoaGoddess's Avatar
    CocoaGoddess is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    12,986
    #6
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm here in Maryland, and I hear that Bethesda is a great hospital. I've never gotten treatment there though.
  7. libbydc
    Guest
    libbydc's Avatar
    Guest
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeswife View Post
    Once we rent our house we are moving to be with dh in DC. I am not sure where we are doing to live because we are still looking for a rental house. We are looking at Alexandria and that area.

    My question is about tricare. Are there medical treatment centers there like there are in Virginia Beach or do you see a civilian like I have while we have been in GA?

    Thanks for any informarion.
    Like they said MTF's everywhere so civy is not really a practical option. IMO that's not so good. We moved from a remote area with wonderful civy dr.s to DC with MTF cow herding clinics.
    Walter Reed was great, but that was only once! We lived on the VA side so we had a clinic in our area, and Dewitt for most of our specialist stuff. I can't vouch for the OB care, but I would rate the GP care no better than adequate.
    Why Alexandria? Do you have school aged kids? Do you have a specific area in Alexandria in mind?
    We are coming home soon when DH returns, and we are moving back to the VA side! We LOVE it.
  8. Senior Member
    mikeswife's Avatar
    mikeswife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    761
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by libbydc View Post
    Like they said MTF's everywhere so civy is not really a practical option. IMO that's not so good. We moved from a remote area with wonderful civy dr.s to DC with MTF cow herding clinics.
    Walter Reed was great, but that was only once! We lived on the VA side so we had a clinic in our area, and Dewitt for most of our specialist stuff. I can't vouch for the OB care, but I would rate the GP care no better than adequate.
    Why Alexandria? Do you have school aged kids? Do you have a specific area in Alexandria in mind?
    We are coming home soon when DH returns, and we are moving back to the VA side! We LOVE it.
    We are just looking for a nice safe place to live. We also need to be near a metro station because dh does not want to drive into DC everyday. If you have any suggestions for where to live I would be greatful.
    Thanks

    Wife To Michael ~10-17-98~
    Momma To Eric ~9-19-06~
  9. Senior Member
    Lckychrmzz's Avatar
    Lckychrmzz is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,152
    #9
    I'm in MD about 30-45mins south of DC and I got to Andrews AFB for my OB care. Theyre ok, I've had better and I've had worse. Congrats on your pregnancy.
  10. libbydc
    Guest
    libbydc's Avatar
    Guest
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeswife View Post
    We are just looking for a nice safe place to live. We also need to be near a metro station because dh does not want to drive into DC everyday. If you have any suggestions for where to live I would be greatful.
    Thanks
    There is also the VRE that goes into DC. It's a much nicer ride/commute than the metro, and the station neighborhoods are more suburb/family type areas. Alexandria is BIG, and patchy as far as good and bad areas.
    PM coming.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •