Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!!

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Exclamation HELP!!!!

Advertisements
    I am so confused. My husband is finally considered permanent party after a year! I've been in a one bedroom apartment for about 6 months. My husband's NCO took him over to talk to housing last week and supposedly got us on post housing. Well, apparently for some reason I was never put on his orders, sop now they are saying that we can not get housing. And since putting in for it they started digging up stuff. Apparently my housing allowance was supposed to change when I moved, even though he was in AIT and I moved on my own. And we should have lost the separation allowance even though my husband only recently moved in with me! I am so confused. Now they have denied us housing and are going to be taking money out of our check. They have put a collections flag on my husband saying we owe them thousands of dollars. I have had nothing but trouble with hte Army since the day he joined. They don't pay hardly enough to live on as it is and then they have all these loopholes to try to take even more money. The day I moved here, I went on post and changed my address in their system. I filled out papers stating that I had moved on my own and where I was living. Nothing changed and I didn't know it was supposed to!! I filled out all the papers, changed my address with Tricare and DEERS!! If something was supossed to change, that was up to them. How can they expect me to know and me to "make sure it happened"? I don't know how much we should get!! I just know what shows up on the check! Now they are going to take money out of our pocket, they are never going to move me anywhere, and they are never going to let us live on post! How can they do this?? Does anyone know of a website where I can look up the BAH rules and stuff? HELP!!!
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    If i recall correctly his AIT was only a few months correct? If it was under 180 days then you wouldn't have been put on his orders. Was the BAH more for your previous address? If so then I could see how you would owe them the difference, if it was less then what was the difference? As for the family sep I would ask them for an official answer as to why you weren't due to receive if he was still in school. It is true that you won't be eligble for housing if you were not on his orders previously and moved there knowing that. Did he inform the army of your new address to change BAH when you moved?

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Senior Member
    I'm sorry, that is right though, you don't get seperation pay if you are not geographically seperated. You also can not get base housing with out being on his orders, but you should get BAH to offset that and hopefully get a bigger apartment. He can try to get his orders ammended to include you, but after a year I don't know. I'm sorry, someone should have let him know that. $250 a month for seperation pay x how many months you have lived there is how much they will garnish. I'm so sorry.

(By the way your husband gets a LES {leave and earrnngs statement} on the first of each month that tells him all his pay and where it all came from.)
  5. Senior Member
    Well, the only thing I can think of to say is that you are right, it is not your job to know, it is your DH's! He is responsible to know all the rules and regs on BAH, family sep pay, and all other earnings allowed. You may have updated DEERS, but that does not update his page 2 and pay allowances. Those are separate systems. He should have notified his PERS office so that they could make adjustments. I am really sorry you have to go through this, but it is a live and learn situation. I understand that you are upset, but it really is not the military's fault. It s the responsibility of the active duty member to know why the are receiving entitlements and when to notify the command when they are no longer eligible for those entitlements. Best of luck. Notify your relief center if you need assistance with bills and food.

Thank you, BrentsCrystal! You are amazing!
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    If i recall correctly his AIT was only a few months correct? If it was under 180 days then you wouldn't have been put on his orders. Was the BAH more for your previous address? If so then I could see how you would owe them the difference, if it was less then what was the difference? As for the family sep I would ask them for an official answer as to why you weren't due to receive if he was still in school. It is true that you won't be eligble for housing if you were not on his orders previously and moved there knowing that. Did he inform the army of your new address to change BAH when you moved?
    His actual AIT was 178 days total... but since he had medical issues, he was held in barracks for a lot longer. No, we weren't on his AIT orders, but now he's been PCSed to a new unit and we still were not put on his orders, that's what I don't understand. we should be eligible for housing now, though... he is permanent party and in a permanent unit. I changed our address on the base when I moved, as well as on DEERS and Tricare. Since October the address on his LES has been correct, that's why I'm not understanding all of this. They could look at the address on his LES and see where I was living. It is their mistake.

7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FC wifey View Post
    Well, the only thing I can think of to say is that you are right, it is not your job to know, it is your DH's! He is responsible to know all the rules and regs on BAH, family sep pay, and all other earnings allowed. You may have updated DEERS, but that does not update his page 2 and pay allowances. Those are separate systems. He should have notified his PERS office so that they could make adjustments. I am really sorry you have to go through this, but it is a live and learn situation. I understand that you are upset, but it really is not the military's fault. It s the responsibility of the active duty member to know why the are receiving entitlements and when to notify the command when they are no longer eligible for those entitlements. Best of luck. Notify your relief center if you need assistance with bills and food.
    I did this on the base at the finance office and they told me at the time that the housing allowance while he was in AIT was based on his original home of record regardless of where I moved.

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amazinggrace View Post
    I'm sorry, that is right though, you don't get seperation pay if you are not geographically seperated. You also can not get base housing with out being on his orders, but you should get BAH to offset that and hopefully get a bigger apartment. He can try to get his orders ammended to include you, but after a year I don't know. I'm sorry, someone should have let him know that. $250 a month for seperation pay x how many months you have lived there is how much they will garnish. I'm so sorry.

(By the way your husband gets a LES {leave and earrnngs statement} on the first of each month that tells him all his pay and where it all came from.)
    yeah, I have them all. And the address on there has been correct since october

9. Senior Member

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,120926,00.html

i used this site to find out about BAH. the military always has so many guidelines about finance. i hate that. we have been through something similar since both my hubby and i are military. they are always screwing us over.
  10. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by wife-n-mommy View Post
    His actual AIT was 178 days total... but since he had medical issues, he was held in barracks for a lot longer. No, we weren't on his AIT orders, but now he's been PCSed to a new unit and we still were not put on his orders, that's what I don't understand. we should be eligible for housing now, though... he is permanent party and in a permanent unit. I changed our address on the base when I moved, as well as on DEERS and Tricare. Since October the address on his LES has been correct, that's why I'm not understanding all of this. They could look at the address on his LES and see where I was living. It is their mistake.
    It's up to your DH to notify the command/school of any changes. like FC Wifey stated DEERS and Tricare are different entities then his page 2. He should get his orders amended to get his dependents added to them so you guys will be eligible for housing. Even if he was held in the barracks for longer his original orders were for 178 days and didn't include dependents that is what they go by. As for the LES i was never aware that it had addresses on it, ( i just checked ours and it doesn't have an address on there)

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast