Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Wow...this is interesting...

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Wow...this is interesting...

Advertisements
    So, I just decided to look up the requirements to be eligible for food stamps (just in case for the future) and it's funny, we actually would qualify now...isn't that sad? But wait til you see what the requirements are. In GA the only requirement is that you not have more than $3000 in the bank, income doesn't matter, living expences don't matter... just have less than $3000 in the bank. To me that is crazy! I bet there are a lot of people out there who get food stamps and free food who don't really need it... makes you wonder doesn't it?
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wife-n-mommy View Post
    So, I just decided to look up the requirements to be eligible for food stamps (just in case for the future)
    i think the bolded statement is very odd. i've never looked up the requirements for gov't subsidy "just in case" i might be there someday. thinking you might get to that point is kinda sad, really. why not be proactive about your situation instead?
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    i think the bolded statement is very odd. i've never looked up the requirements for gov't subsidy "just in case" i might be there someday. thinking you might get to that point is kinda sad, really. why not be proactive about your situation instead?
    I think it has to do with a post in the debate thread...
  4. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    Wow.. harsh much? Her husband is being Med-boarded out of the Army.. she just might have a "just incase" scenario tossed into her lap in a few months. I honestly don't blame her for looking. I've wondered about such things myself and we've never "needed" it.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMc424 View Post
    Wow.. harsh much? Her husband is being Med-boarded out of the Army.. she just might have a "just incase" scenario tossed into her lap in a few months. I honestly don't blame her for looking. I've wondered about such things myself and we've never "needed" it.
    Exactly.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Wow that's crazy OP that the requirements are only that!!
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    that bothers me. what's stopping people from just taking their money out of the bank?!? weird
  8. Senior Member
    I lived on foodstamps for 1 yr in So. Cali. and it was hard to get, Me and DH were not together and I had 3 kids working full time, with cost of living I could only afford 1bed house. let alone food. I never had welfare, but I needed the food, people will ask me to sell them food stamps, I was always saying no, I need the food for my kids.

this was my last month, know we are over income by 25%.
  9. Senior Member
    With the economy right know, we always have to be watching out for our children. My SIL needed the food stamps after her DH E-7 was discharged for PTSD, they needed the help, he can't work, she works for the VA.

good think you take care of your "just in case" that is smart
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. LA View Post
    With the economy right know, we always have to be watching out for our children. My SIL needed the food stamps after her DH E-7 was discharged for PTSD, they needed the help, he can't work, she works for the VA.

good think you take care of your "just in case" that is smart
    I agree!!! With the constant rise of gas and food we have to keep our kids in mind. I actually looked into WIC and we actually qualify for that.. We probably qualify for Food Stamps as well, its actually sad.......