Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Another Tricare Question..

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Another Tricare Question..

Advertisements
    Is it true that once you get your military id and get added to your dh's page 2.. your military id serves as your insurance card and you're automatically enrolled in tricare standard?

how do i enroll in tricare prime?

(i have to do it alone since dh has been working late or gone..he's been and will be in and out all summer)

t.i.a.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Your military ID can/will serve as a way for people to know that you are a dependent and you are covered. Its not your actual insurance card- tricare will send you one in the mail. If you're seen at a military facility, all you do is show your ID and basically it works like an insurance card b/c they know if you've got the ID, you can be seen there and will be covered. But at civi doctors, they will want the real insurance card for billing purposes, so a regular ID usually will not do. You are automatically enrolled in standard which means you can be seen anywhere but there is a copay and deductible. If you would like to switch to prime, all you need to do is go to your local tricare office (I'm almost positive every military medical facility has one- at least all of the ones I've been to). It takes about 10 minutes just to fill out the front and back of a form, then prime kicks in on the first of the month the following month! Not hard to switch at all but you need to do it before the 10th of the month (I believe that's the cut off) to be switched by the first of the following month. So, before the 10th of May to be enrolled by June 1st Things may have changed by this is how it was when we got married 5 years ago.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    ok so i have to go to the naval hospital to switch it to prime?
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blownkissez79
    ok so i have to go to the naval hospital to switch it to prime?
    yes, just go to the tricare office (they usually have at least a really small one) and tell them you wanna switch
  5. Senior Member
    I saw two different civilian Drs. and I have standard. I only had to show my ID card and I had no co-pay. I did have to pay alitte at one of the drs. we saw. Tricare has never sent us any type of card or any other information.