Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: marriage, housing, distance

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Nutts marriage, housing, distance

Advertisements
    I have a question, i know you guys will be able to help, you are soooo good...DB wants to get married, that is awesome, its great, i love him...but i am well established in a job, home, children...etc...i am working my real estate license....the uncertainty with deployment makes me not want to move anywhere..
    how does it work if you are married and live apart...can he still stay in barracks? what about BAH, if he lives in barracks and i live elsewhere...
    he is in BCT/AIT right now, to finish in march sometime, then i dont know where....he signed up for 3 1/2 years only...i dont think he will stay in...what to do?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    hmm if i am not mistaken, you can stay where you are and he will be listed as "single soldier" only in the barrack department, you should get all the normal benefits, but since you are staying apart by your choice you wont get separation pay or bah.... but don't quote me... !!!

3. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    you will get BAH when you are married, he can geobach, but you will not get separation pay if you voluntarily live apart.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    depnending on branch- they are not letting most GEO BACH's live for free in the barracks-

so you will get BAH based on his duty station- even if it is less than where you live-

all other benefits stay the same- tricare is based on where you live so it makes it easier finding a dr.

you will not get Sep pay- since it is a vollentary seperation.

and if he moves to a High cost of living area he will get COLA without dependants.
    HTH's
  5. navymanswife
    make sure to check w/ the base first. i know w/ my DH, we had to check on it first. unfortunately, they are not allowing geobachelors right now where he will be stationed, b/c of room availability in the quarters. so, just have him call and check first. better to be safe than sorry.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    whats a geo bac.......
    so he will have to pay to stay in barracks?
    so it sounds as if it is not worth getting married, cause if we dont he doesnt have to pay to stay they will house him....
    am i right?
  7. navymanswife
    Sorry, jeepgirl...i just realized you had posted another question. I hope this link helps to answer your questions. It helped me when I was trying to figure all this BAH stuff out!
    http://www.army.com/articles/article_030505_bah3.html
  8. spcsharpsgirl
    I know here at ft lewis...

If you are married and your family lives across country...

You can stay in the barracks for free.. you get a meal card.. but you also get BAH

I know a few of the soldiers here usually just send all of it to their families.
  9. Senior Member
    you get married. he lives in the barracks how he does now, gains you as a dependent, he is considere "geo bachelor" and you derive BAH.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.