Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Benefits of going from reserve to active?

=)

Benefits of going from reserve to active?

Advertisements
    If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move me.

DB is (yet again) throwing around the idea of going from army reserve to army active, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth it benefit-wise? His rank is PFC and he's an Engineer.

Thanks in advace.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    alot depends on if he is a weekend warrior- or on full time Active list- (meaning he goes to work as a reservist 5 days a week, not just his one weekend a month)

the benefits of full AD- BAH, BAS, full medical 24/7-365- full commisary and exchange and base privledges.
    housing if you decide to live on the econmy-- the best thing to do is look at your Army website or talk to a recruiter.
    =)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    alot depends on if he is a weekend warrior- or on full time Active list- (meaning he goes to work as a reservist 5 days a week, not just his one weekend a month)

the benefits of full AD- BAH, BAS, full medical 24/7-365- full commisary and exchange and base privledges.
    housing if you decide to live on the econmy-- the best thing to do is look at your Army website or talk to a recruiter.
    Thanks, he's a weekend warrior so it sounds like it's a pretty big "up" in what he'd get. What's BAH and BAS?
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    BAH is housing pay and BAS is food pay. I'm not sure how the Army works BAS but in the Navy if he is stationed to the ship he won't get it. I'm not sure if they take it when they are deployed if he isn't stationed to the ship. I would think yes but don't know for sure. BAH amount depneds on the area you are in.
  5. Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Yea its definitley a big difference from reserve to active. In addition to what the other lady said you would also have full free medical coverage. Dental benefits run us $27.00 a month for a family of four which isnt bad.
    BAH is going to be based on where you live and your spouses rank.
    You could go to this site and see what it would be http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html
    Use your current zipcode and your spouses rank for an example

If you choose to live on the military base you dont get BAH. If you live offpost and lets say your BAH us $1000 a month and your rent is $600 you pocket the rest and can use for other uitilities or whatever.

To see what housing looks like for different bases you can visit https://onestop.army.mil

Hope that helps a little
  6. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    full commisary and exchange and base privledges.
    Reservists get commissary & exchange privileges

7. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    , what the others have said is right!
    Also, He really needs to consider what he's making now VS what it would be in the military. He might make $40,000 right now as a civilian, but depending on how many years he's been in, he'll make about $20-21000 a year, not including BAH, BAS, etc. For example- Duluth, MN's BAH without dependents is $702 for E-3.

=)
    Thank you! I'll show all this to DB (if I just tell him he'll never believe me) and we can make the decision together.
  9. Senior Member
    I agree you really need to weight what he is making now and what benifits he has now compared to the army. Base pay, BAH and BAS
    Ive been on both sides, active duty first, then reserves, now back to active duty ( not by choice), for a deployment, but I guess were technically still reserves.
    For us, going active duty, we took a huge pay cut, like 50% and the benifits were a little better, but defintly not worth being called up for active duty.
    Guess you have to consider the military life, moving all the time and etc also.
    Its a big decision!