Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need some help about benefits for our daughter..

1. After all you're my wonderwall
    After all you're my wonderwall

i need some help about benefits for our daughter..

Advertisements
    Can someone please help me out..
    Here goes, I hope you can follow.

Mike and I arenít married; we do have a three year old daughter. She was born out of wedlock. He joined the Army and left in January of this year, Meghan was two. She was not claimed as his dependent nor did she get any benefits. We wanted her to get benefits, but mikeís recruiter told us not until he does six months in the army..now that sounded fishy to me, but whatever. Now, its December heís been in almost a year. We want her to get insurance and benefits, but now Mike is saying that army is requesting a paternity test.. Mike did sign the Declaration of Paternity at the hospital after Meghan was born. Itís a legal document. I donít mind if they do a Paternity test- but in the state of California since he signed the Declaration of Paternity no court will grant us a paternity test. (I was told this by a lawyer). Why is it so hard for his daughter to get on his benefits? I just donít understand what to do or where to go for help---since Iím just the mother of his daughter..Iím getting upset because I feel like no one has the right answer on how to get her benefits. Sheís three and doesnít have insurance because ďof her fatherís place of workĒÖ

Iím confused. I donít know where to turn to get help and Mike is being a huge baby and not really talking to me about this stuff.

All I want is for him to get her health care insuranceóthatís all I care about but it seems impossible.
  2. Senior Member
    The Army wants their own test, I've heard of that before.

One thing you could do, is sign Meg up for public assistance health care theough your county social services.. The county will see that Mike has insurance available to him, the county will get the ball rolling to put her on his insurance..
  3. After all you're my wonderwall
    i was told if i go the county, i'll have to sign up for child support also, and if i do that then i'll "screw" mike over because he will have to pay back child support....but i'll check that out if i could just do health care or something..
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by allypooh View Post
    i was told if i go the county, i'll have to sign up for child support also, and if i do that then i'll "screw" mike over because he will have to pay back child support....but i'll check that out if i could just do health care or something..
    How would that screw him? I would definitely give it a shot!
  5. Senior Member
    He doesn't have to pay child support if he's supporting and has been supporting his daughter..
  6. After all you're my wonderwall
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileysmom View Post
    How would that screw him? I would definitely give it a shot!
    yeah, i'm calling right now, mike told me i went through the county they would make him pay back child support for 3 years--since he just gives money when he wants..(it's not like i need the money--i do work and stuff), but he told me he would get in big trouble by the military over child support...blah dont know if it's true since he has lied a lot of times before...
  7. After all you're my wonderwall
    yeah, the child support is very small and limited that he gives..and its never on time..
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    yeah, the child support is very small and limited that he gives..and its never on time..
    Then that's an even better reason to do it! If he can get in trouble, who cares, considering you aren't getting much in the first place. And even if you can fully support her on your own, you could sack that child support away in a 5% savings account and build a future for your little cutie pie too!

I would go for it and not worry too much about what he says or thinks. He IS supposed to be paying child support, so if he gets in trouble, it's by his own lack of actions, not by anything you are doing.

I hope they can get her some insurance soon!
  9. Senior Member
    yeah, i'm calling right now, mike told me i went through the county they would make him pay back child support for 3 years--since he just gives money when he wants..(it's not like i need the money--i do work and stuff), but he told me he would get in big trouble by the military over child support...blah dont know if it's true since he has lied a lot of times before...
    AND YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT SCREWING HIM OVER??????

I'd look behind myself if I was you, cause it looks like Mike has his peter in your butt.... and your daughter is the one without the health insurance she deserves.
  10. Windy
    I would tell him that he might get screwed if you have to do it through the county and maybe it would be better if he got off his ass and did the work (sorry my ex is a deadbeat dad). Make sure he has a copy of her birth certificate w/his name on it. And it might be cheaper for him to pay for a paternity test (if he does need one) than it would be to pay back child support.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast