Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: BAH pay

1. Senior Member

BAH pay

Advertisements
    DH moved to England late November. I'm still waiting for my passport and visa. I'm curious about his BAH. Currently he's staying at the hotel on base for 30 days while inprocessing before he moves into a house with a friend. Would we still techinically get his BAH pay for me for those 30 days while he's in a hotel? How would we go about claiming that? After those 30 days, does he just get his regular BAH pay? Is there any extra for me living in my apartment back in the US? I know he'll get $250 a month for separation pay, but curious if I'm missing anything else. I have the money I earn to pay for my rent, but I just want to make sure we're getting all that we can. Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by gottli10; 12-04-2007 at 10:59 PM.
  2. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    I can't remember how it works, I am not sure if he gets OHA or BAH for that time. Good luck! Have him ask his command, I am sure he is not the first service member with a spouse in america htere
  3. Senior Member
    If he remains in barracks until you get there, he may still get BAH for you. If he goes into a place there, he'll get OHA, but no BAH for you. The only way you'd get BAH for you is if his orders are unaccompanied. Therefore he would be living in barracks and getting BAH for your residence back in the US.

He will not get OHA for the time he's in a hotel. OHA is an exact amount. You have to show your rent receipt to show how much you are paying. It's not like BAH where you get a fixed amount and use as much or as little as you want and pocket the rest. There is a maximum for OHA, but you only get what you use. So if the OHA is $1500 and you spend $1000, you don't get to keep the extra $500.

He will get COLA for England though. I'm not actually sure if he'll get family sep. for you since he's not deployed or on unaccompanied orders. I'd have him check with his command.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by petsparkle View Post
    If he remains in barracks until you get there, he may still get BAH for you. If he goes into a place there, he'll get OHA, but no BAH for you. The only way you'd get BAH for you is if his orders are unaccompanied. Therefore he would be living in barracks and getting BAH for your residence back in the US.

He will not get OHA for the time he's in a hotel. OHA is an exact amount. You have to show your rent receipt to show how much you are paying. It's not like BAH where you get a fixed amount and use as much or as little as you want and pocket the rest. There is a maximum for OHA, but you only get what you use. So if the OHA is $1500 and you spend $1000, you don't get to keep the extra $500.

He will get COLA for England though. I'm not actually sure if he'll get family sep. for you since he's not deployed or on unaccompanied orders. I'd have him check with his command.
    He is currently on unaccompanied orders - my medical clearance just got passed so they're sorting through all my paperwork in England right now to change his orders.
  5. Senior Member
    My husbands order were unaccompanied to germany until all my paperwork went through..and I can tell you what happened for us...
    we only get BAH for me as long as he was living in the barracks (which means he isn't getting any housing allowance for him).
    Once he moves into any kind of housing our BAH for here stops and he only gets OHA for germany.
    We also don't get family seperation pay because his orders *could* be accompanied. In order to get sep pay the orders have to be for some where that you couldn't go. Such as perhaps Korea. Atleast that was how it was explained to us.

This has been our experience with it atleast. Hope that helps a little bit.
    Oh and I'm not sure about the hotel part because my husband didn't have to stay in one.
    *Nobody said it would be easy..they only said it would be worth it*

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen629 View Post
    My husbands order were unaccompanied to germany until all my paperwork went through..and I can tell you what happened for us...
    we only get BAH for me as long as he was living in the barracks (which means he isn't getting any housing allowance for him).
    Once he moves into any kind of housing our BAH for here stops and he only gets OHA for germany.
    We also don't get family seperation pay because his orders *could* be accompanied. In order to get sep pay the orders have to be for some where that you couldn't go. Such as perhaps Korea. Atleast that was how it was explained to us.

This has been our experience with it atleast. Hope that helps a little bit.
    Oh and I'm not sure about the hotel part because my husband didn't have to stay in one.
    Very helpful... thank you!!