Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bah?

1. i fell in love at the jersey shore.
    i fell in love at the jersey shore.

bah?

Advertisements
    df and i are getting married at the very end of december, but i wont be moving with him until about next may because im gonna finish out the spring semester here, so he's going to be living in his barracks.. my question is do we still get bah even though we wont be really using it. and could we save that money?
  2. Senior Member
    You should still get BAH.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We got BAH when John went back in but we weren't all living together. I was at home with our DD and he was geo-bacheloring it in Va. and then Ca. We got the BAH amount for the area I was in, not him.
  4. Senior Member

Yep, BAH is for you, not him.
  5. Senior Member
    I don't have any answers for you, sorry. But I think it's definitely time I go to bed! I just looked at your post title "bah?" and immediately thought, "um, humbug?" Boy, I feel stupid. haha.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyd View Post
    I don't have any answers for you, sorry. But I think it's definitely time I go to bed! I just looked at your post title "bah?" and immediately thought, "um, humbug?" Boy, I feel stupid. haha.
    Don't feel bad I thought the same thing! I guess I am usto seeing it in capital letters.
  7. Senior Member
    I think he will have to move out of the barracks in order to collect it, since the military is not forcing the two of you to live seperatly, they will not pay the BAH with him in the barracks. That only happens on things like unaccompanied tours...then he would live in barracks and collect BAH. Hope this makes since.

I would suggest he go to Finance and talk to them!

Good luck and congrats on getting married!

8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamie~lynn View Post
    I think he will have to move out of the barracks in order to collect it, since the military is not forcing the two of you to live seperatly, they will not pay the BAH with him in the barracks. That only happens on things like unaccompanied tours...then he would live in barracks and collect BAH. Hope this makes since.

I would suggest he go to Finance and talk to them!

Good luck and congrats on getting married!
    If they don't live in the same local area she will get BAH even if he is in the Barracks. Doesn't matter if it's a forced seperation or not.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    If they don't live in the same local area she will get BAH even if he is in the Barracks. Doesn't matter if it's a forced seperation or not.
    True - to a point. He will be considered a geographical bachelor and may stay in the barracks on a space available basis. However - two things come into play. First, in many places they are eliminating the geo-bachelor option and, second, in those places that do allow it if there becomes a space issue and there are single MMs who need a room the geo-bachelors will be forced out and expected to find alternative living arrangements of their own. In some places there is a fee for living in the barracks while drawing BAH (the amount varies quite a bit - we were looking at about $60 a month for one possible destination for DH and where he is at now he pays nothing - we have, though heard of others paying $150+ per month).
    Also, in these situations BAH is paid at the rate for the MMs duty location and NOT the location of where the spouse/family lives. Just throwing that out there in case the OP wanted to look at the amount they would receive
  10. gss1981
    When DH was in his schooling and boot camp and what not, we got the BAH that HE was in, not I was in. I wish it would have been the other way (that we got it where I was) since that was higher.

Also, the way it was explained to me is, if you choose to live apart, they will go off the duty location BAH, meaning if he's at Lejeune, you get the Lejeune rate, not the rate of where you are.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast