Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about dental program

1. ilovemymechanic

Question question about dental program

Advertisements
    ok, here it goes, i have some teeth that need to be looked at, i don't know if they need to be pulled or what. well do u thing the dental is worth it, even if i just sue it long enough to get my teeth fixed then cancel it or what. i just don't know anything about the dental progra.,it really sucks that they don't pay for it anymore. any help would be apreciated.
  2. ArmyGirl
    I think it depends on how much it actually helps you depending on what rank your husband is...

I know for me, I need my wisdom teeth out, and yes it cuts teh price a bit, but not that much. You should call them or look on the website, it might be able to figure pricing out more.
  3. Senior Member
    I do know that any dental insurance is worth it for what? 30 dollars a month? Dental care is expensive, so any little bit helps. I've never used it as a standalone insurance, I always used it in conjunction with my work dental and it was great. I rarely had to pay for anything.
  4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    most things are 60/40 meaning they pay 60% and you pay 40% of the total costs. I had to get three fillings done and only paid like 110 or so and that was with the white fillings. Preventative care is free, cleanings and x-rays things like that. So when you go in they will tell you what is wrong. Also you can have them give you a break down of how much it will cost you total. They will know. If it is too much you can always got AER and see if they will loan you the money to get the work done. They are usually very generous about that.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. Windy
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    most things are 60/40 meaning they pay 60% and you pay 40% of the total costs. I had to get three fillings done and only paid like 110 or so and that was with the white fillings. Preventative care is free, cleanings and x-rays things like that. So when you go in they will tell you what is wrong. Also you can have them give you a break down of how much it will cost you total. They will know. If it is too much you can always got AER and see if they will loan you the money to get the work done. They are usually very generous about that.
    What is AER?
  6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    What is AER?
    Army Emergency Relief ( i think that is what it is called) the navy and marines have NMCR which is Navy Marine Crops relief and I have no clue what the CG or Air Force has or what they are called.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I think once you sign up for it, you have to keep it for a one year minimum. It is worth it and you max out at $1200 (I believe) for coverage for the calendar year, which for Dental begins I think in November.). The Tricare website breaks down what they cover for services. I.e. fillings are covered 80%, but if you choose the amalgams (white) then you have to pay the difference between that and the silver. Also make sure your dentist accepts Tricare assignment. There is a difference between accepting assignment and telling you they will file the insurance for you. If they don't accept assignment and they charge more than Tricare's allowable charges, then you have to pay the difference. If they accept assignment, then it doesn't matter what they charge you, they can't go over the Tricare allowable charges.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemymechanic View Post
    ok, here it goes, i have some teeth that need to be looked at, i don't know if they need to be pulled or what. well do u thing the dental is worth it, even if i just sue it long enough to get my teeth fixed then cancel it or what. i just don't know anything about the dental progra.,it really sucks that they don't pay for it anymore. any help would be apreciated.
    From me to you...a wealth of information:

http://www.tricaredentalprogram.com/tdptws/home.jsp

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flangl18 View Post
    I think once you sign up for it, you have to keep it for a one year minimum. It is worth it and you max out at $1200 (I believe) for coverage for the calendar year, which for Dental begins I think in November.). The Tricare website breaks down what they cover for services. I.e. fillings are covered 80%, but if you choose the amalgams (white) then you have to pay the difference between that and the silver. Also make sure your dentist accepts Tricare assignment. There is a difference between accepting assignment and telling you they will file the insurance for you. If they don't accept assignment and they charge more than Tricare's allowable charges, then you have to pay the difference. If they accept assignment, then it doesn't matter what they charge you, they can't go over the Tricare allowable charges.
    see these comments and link I sent you.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Dental ins can go either way, for some it is worth it and for others it's not. THInk about paying 30 a month.....thats 360, now if your dental work is over 1200 then all of the amount that is over that is your responsibility, so add that to the 360...then you have your copays...like rosebud said hers were 110....add that to the 360 and the amount over you go(that 110 would be much higher though if you go over your max).

It's a crap shoot with having it honestly, you may go in and not have to have that much done which will be good because you will still have some of your max left over for the year should something happen Plus with not having it your cleanings out of pocket would be anywhere(guesstimating here) from 100 to 250 depending on if you need any xrays or not. ANd if you are getting your teeth fixed now I highly recommend 6 month cleanings so you don't put yourself back at square again...kwim

I know I pointed out all the bad aspects of having insurance, but I would still get it for now just in case. Once you feel like you are in a good place....have been cavity free for atleast a year or more then drop, just remember cleanings are out of pocket after that

HTH
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast