Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAH for unmarried

1. ARMYGF

BAH for unmarried

Advertisements
    I have a question(keep in mind the military is new to me!!) but my boyfried & I live together in Dallas(both names on the lease) & he left for school in May two hours away. He has been fighting to get BAH for the last few months & hitting blocks. From what I understand, BAH is usually for married couples, but he has heard of single people also getting it that have morgage/rent pmts. He lives in the barricks at the Air Force Base there but is struggling to make rent pmts....Has anyone had any luck with this or heard of this BAH for single soldiers?

He is in the Reserve & between leaving Ft stewart from active duty, he moved back to Dallas(our hometown) & was assigned to a school as an E-5 2 hours away. He comes home on the weekends to our apt, but stays there during the week. I think he's looked at getting BAH without a dependent, but didn't know if that was possible?
    Last edited by ARMYGF; 11-13-2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: hope that helps
  2. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    If he is living in the Barracks A) he won't get BAH because he is in the Barracks. B) if he is below a certain rank he might not get BAH because they usually don't let just joined people live off base. Either way he would have to have a financial plan to be able to show he can be responsible for an apartment and all that comes with it. If he is in school I highly doubt they will let him live off base

ETA: yes there is BAH without dependents if he qualified for it that is what he would get

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

3. Porcelain..are you wasting away in your skin?
    Porcelain..are you wasting away in your skin?
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    If he is living in the Barracks A) he won't get BAH because he is in the Barracks. B) if he is below a certain rank he might not get BAH because they usually don't let just joined people live off base. Either way he would have to have a financial plan to be able to show he can be responsible for an apartment and all that comes with it. If he is in school I highly doubt they will let him live off base

ETA: yes there is BAH without dependents if he qualified for it that is what he would get
    Sad, sad, sad. Pathetic, actually.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm confused. If he's living in the barracks....what is he paying rent on? Maybe I need to go back and read ur post a little better.

If he's not married he can receive BAH at the without dependent rate...but he has to be living there. You being his girlfriend are nothing to the Army, therefore they have no reason to give him BAH, since he's living in the barracks.
  5. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post

Yep gotta agree with rosebud*
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  6. Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Yes I agree with Rosebud as well, and just to add on to what she said in the Army's opinion since he lives in the barracks he is has all the necessities lights water and shelter and also I would assume he probably has a meal card so that he can eat at the DFAC. So with that said that is the reason why he would not get BAH, according to them he already has a place to live.
    I know single guys who have a apt but they dont live in the barracks and they get the single rate BAH. Hope that helps
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    well in the marine corps you have to be atleast a CPL E4 and the barracks have to be at like 90% capacity...I am pretty sure all branches are along those terms
  8. *~Mrs. L~*
    *~Mrs. L~*
    Blog Entries
    So is he away for training for the reserves or for the active AF? And for how long?
  9. Regular Member
    My experience was when I met my husband. He had just gotten out of the barracks after like 90 days when he moved to this station in New Orleans. Alot of them are like that where they do a rotation they will keep people in the barracks untill new people come in that's the only reason he was allowed to move out cause more people were coming in. Every situation is different. But it's very unlikly they will give him his BAH for a while because of school and everything.
    Peggy
  10. Senior Member
    He is now at Cherry Point, NC but im still in PA :(
    funny this came up because my boyfriend is a marine living in the barricks at camp pen and he and his best friend just dropped off their packages for BAH today. they are getting it at a single rate obviously because im back here in PA and were not married. but first they have to go to this financial class to figure out how much money they normally spend and how much they will need and yadda yadda yadda then hand in the package and the rest is just waiting (usually a long time) to see if it gets approved.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast