Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: BAH question

1. Senior Member

BAH question

Advertisements
    If we were to get married and I stayed where I am and he continues to live in the BEQ does is BAH still increase? Or does it stay the same since we wouldn't be living together/he still lives on base?

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    he would get dependant BAH so it would go up, but i think he would get it for he is stationed not where your living. i am not positive but he should get dependant BAH even if he is in the BEQ.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taressa View Post
    he would get dependant BAH so it would go up, but i think he would get it for he is stationed not where your living. i am not positive but he should get dependant BAH even if he is in the BEQ.
    Thank you!!! I don't really think it would make too much of a difference as far as getting it where he lives as compared to where I live ...the COL is about the same.

I know they say when you live on base your BAH automatically gets taken out so if he is in the BEQ and they do increase his BAH does he see any of it or is automatically taken out like when you live in housing?

4. Banned
    Banned
    He would receive the w/dependents rate for BAH which would be based on his location. However, many bases are cracking down on "geo bachelors" and eliminating that option for those in this situation. If that were to happen and he were forced out of the BEQ you would need to have a contingency plan for financing having a place for him to live as well as your place where you are.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post

I know they say when you live on base your BAH automatically gets taken out so if he is in the BEQ and they do increase his BAH does he see any of it or is automatically taken out like when you live in housing?
    Some bases do charge for the geo-bachelors to have a spot at the BEQ - the fee is usually pretty nominal. Beyond that there would be no deduction from the BAH, though. Where DH is at now there is no fee for his BEQ spot - where he was going to go it would have been $60 a month.
  6. Senior Member
    Does the fact that he is still in A-School make any difference with regards to all that? (sorry - i should have mentioned that earlier)

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    if he is a student he would need permission to live off base anyway. it used to be that you got BAH and you paid the BEQ but it also used to be that if you weren't living together for whatever reason you got the BAH for which ever was higher, its not like that anymore and its the zipcode of where the AD is stationed. because of people going home during deployments pocketing BAH and not paying rent. a lot has changed he should go to PSD to talk to them to make sure he doesn't accidently break any rules. a lot times when those rules are broken your not even aware your doing it because so much changes and so often. good luck and i hope it goes smoothly for ya.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    my DH had to get permission to get married when he was in school even though he was between commands.
  9. Senior Member
    Thanks for the info!

It was mostly just a what if question. I haven't even asked him about it (he is at a friends wedding) so I was just wondering if I could get any info on here.