Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military Benefits

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Military Benefits

Advertisements
    I know as a married couple, you recieve lots of benefits, but i dont know much about the benefits themselves.

i know you get housing but is that really all paid by the military? (ive seen people mention BAH)
    i've heard rumors of sharing the GI bill but that its based on certain things such as MOS... is that true? what are the rules for sharing.. etc...
    i know you get to use his health insurance (tricare?) but i also know that it isnt perfect... what should i expect?
    i know you get a military id that you can use the same way he does... but what other benefits do you get?

we arent married yet .. but we are talking about it, and i want to know what to expect. i know being a military wife isnt easy and there are a lot of setbacks. i can handle that so long as i know the typical problems to expect.

if anyone has ANY information on benefits and how they all work that would be nice

oh.. and he is in the army.. since i know what branch he is in changes the info.

THANKS!
  2. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    GI bill is given to anyone in the service. It's for college. It's the servicemember's choice whether or not to take advantage of it. Certain people who enlist also get a college fund. While enlisted he'll also qualify for Tuition assistance through the military (if he uses the Tuition Assistance.. it pays for everything but books) GI bill is paid monthly while enrolled and varies due to how many hrs. he'll be taking per semester.

Your SO will qualify for the VA loan program too.. it's a guarantee (not an actual loan) for a mortgage. It is reusable as long as you follow proper procedure.

You'll have Tricare, and United concordia insurances for medical and dental respectively. As long as you learn proper procedure, Tricare's not that bad. Follow the rules and you'll get along fine.

BAH is "free" money that he gets for a place to live. It's more per month if he has dependents, but does not increase per number of dependents. It's nontaxable income. If you move into housing they'll take your BAH for rent/utilities, by allotment.

You'll have a military ID, and therefore have base driving privileges, commissary and exchange privileges as well.. you'll also be able to use the ITT office for military discount travel and amusment tickets and the MWR office to rent camping/sports equipment and other things. (since he's army I don't know what ITT/MWR equates too.. those are Navy acromnyms)

You'll be able to use the base gym and USO also.

Any thing else you'd like to know? I'm always happy to help!

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

3. MoMo
    DO u know how much u get for a dependent?
  4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    BAH is determined by rank and location. so me and melissa though our dh's are the same rank our locations are different, so BAH would be different.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    and for dental you do have a small out of pocket cost monthly, but that can be taken out of his paycheck before you see it. and tricare dental is not perfect and doesn't cover everything, but it does ok. If you are lucky enough to have a job that offers dental then you might be out very little for your dental costs

I will miss you SOS...

6. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    BAH is determined by rank and location. so me and melissa though our dh's are the same rank our locations are different, so BAH would be different.
    if you Cost of living is higher your BAH will be higher.. Where we were stationed in TX, (he was E6 then) BAH was 1333.. when we reported to San Diego, E6 BAH was 1900...

and thatís all I need

7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html
    here is a good site where you can see BAH for your location and pay grade. this is for all military not just navy as BAH, Base pay, and BAS are the same across the military

I will miss you SOS...

8. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    and for dental you do have a small out of pocket cost monthly, but that can be taken out of his paycheck before you see it. and tricare dental is not perfect and doesn't cover everything, but it does ok. If you are lucky enough to have a job that offers dental then you might be out very little for your dental costs
    I believe we pay a little out of pocket for tricare a month as well don't we?? It's not much, if we do..

Plus there's the SGLI life insurance.. it's very affordable and it's a rather large policy. You're allowed to carry dependents on a life insurance program through them too!

and thatís all I need

9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMc424 View Post
    I believe we pay a little out of pocket for tricare a month as well don't we?? It's not much, if we do..

Plus there's the SGLI life insurance.. it's very affordable and it's a rather large policy. You're allowed to carry dependents on a life insurance program through them too!
    not that i know of unless it's that fifty cents or something like that, but united concordia became tricare dental a year ago... so that might be what you are thinking.

I will miss you SOS...

10. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    not that i know of unless it's that fifty cents or something like that, but united concordia became tricare dental a year ago... so that might be what you are thinking.
    Could be.. for some reason I always thought we were paying a small amount for tricare too..

and thatís all I need

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast