Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ANY information.

1. I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Need ANY information.

Advertisements
    I'm getting married in Decemer, is there anything I need to know aout as afar as benefits, etc. goes? I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing here other than saying "I do." Haha. Is there anything that DF should be doing on his end as far as this goes? Any tips would be really helpful. Thanksss.
    TTFN. Ta-ta for now MSOS.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    i don't really have many suggestions cause i'm sort of new to this too, but i do know - get like a million certified copies of your marriage license once you get married. we got like seven i think and we're down to one. oh and if you're on any prescriptions, get a couple extra months worth, cause once you enroll in tricare it can take a couple weeks to hit and it may take awhile to get a dr appt. drove me up the wall. dh didn't know much what to do but the guys at work helped him a lot with that, telling him what to do and where to go
    good luck and congrats!!!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    oops, accidentally double posted
    Last edited by s. rosa; 10-12-2007 at 12:19 AM. Reason: double post
  4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    make sure you have all necessary paperwork, birth certificate, drivers license or other state id. I would also suggest he talk with his direct supervisor or at least someone who is married to find out what you will need to gather up before you forget with all the wedding stuff. you will def want you medical records, but those can be transfered through hospitals if they charge you.. He should ask what he will need to get you in DEERS and on his page 2.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. Senior Member
    He needs to add you to DEERS and get your vehicle cleared. (base stickers)

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

just recently got married myself

i just recently got married myself....and while i didn't have to do a bunch of stuff....my husband did....he had a ton of paperwork...so make sure your soon to be husband starts it all as soon as possible....we are not together while he does the paperwork so make sure if you're apart he has birth certs, social security etc. and you have copies...or visa versa...i'm not sure if it matters who has which copy....also if you plan on moving into military housing...you need to make a list of all the bills you pay how much money you use a month and on what things unless he already knows that information off the top of his head...i don't know why but they asked for all this...anyway...that's about all that i can think of right now...if i think of more i'll let you know...
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    oh and best tip i can give...is ask tons of questions..
  8. Senior Member
    You'll need to be enrolled in DEERS as a PP said. If your DF has a clearance, you may need an appointment with the SSO to have you added to that.

You'll need a ridiculous number of certified copies of your marriage license.

You'll get an appointment for an ID card which your DH will need to be at as well (after you are enrolled in DEERS).

I think that's all the major stuff. You may want to get enrolled in Tricare Dental (aka United Concordia) for you. He is covered on base, but for you he has to pay a monthly premium. It's only about $10 a month and comes out of his paycheck pre-tax I think. But that's the only way you'll get dental coverage from the military.

Once you have your ID card, you will be eligible to shop at the commissary, etc. You can then get the base sticker for your car (rather than have DH do it) if he doesn't have time.

The command will coach him through it. PSD will probably have a checklist for him. So many people do this, it's not a huge deal.

Oh yes, and memorize his SSN now, it will make it much easier later on. As soon as you are married and entered into DEERS, no-one will care about your SSN again. Everything (scheduling medical appts, etc.) is done using your DH's SSN.

Congratulations and welcome to the military community!!
  9. Senior Member
    we never had to have certified copies of our marriage license. They always just make copies themselves of the original or they take the copies we give them. hmm but yeah its probably not a bad idea to have extra ones on hand.
  10. I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    Alright, I have questions! What exactly will I be needing the copies of the marriage license for? Will I need them right away? How does he get me enrolled in DEERS? Is it something he can do while he's in AIT without me or should we wait until he comes home? And one more question, should he be telling someone that he's going to be getting married two days after he graduates AIT? If so, who should he tell? Thank you all so much for the help!
    TTFN. Ta-ta for now MSOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast