Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Wounded Warrior Event Ideas

1. Senior Member

Wounded Warrior Event Ideas

Advertisements
    So my sorority has a national charity, but we get involved in others. The philanthropy chair had no idea what Wounded Warriors was, so I introduced her to it and we're looking at planning an event of some sort to raise money. I need ideas! Something that's obviously tied into wounded warriors that would appeal to college kids and get them to donate and/or participate. I'm trying to stay away from something like a 5k or whatever because I feel like that's really over done. and most college kids will not come out and run So let me hear whatever ideas you have!

2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Be careful how you word things. It's no problem to do a fundraiser and say "all proceeds go to Wounded Warriors" but you can't phrase it as if it is a wounded warrior sponsored event, kwim?

How much does a keg cost these days? All I think of when I think of colleges and fraternities and sororities is drinking, can you get a few kegs, charge a cover price and everything above the cost of the kegs goes to WWP?
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Be careful how you word things. It's no problem to do a fundraiser and say "all proceeds go to Wounded Warriors" but you can't phrase it as if it is a wounded warrior sponsored event, kwim?

How much does a keg cost these days? All I think of when I think of colleges and fraternities and sororities is drinking, can you get a few kegs, charge a cover price and everything above the cost of the kegs goes to WWP?
    I think that's a good idea! I believe you can also get Root Beer kegs so people under 21 can join in too.
  4. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

You could add a corn hole tournament to the keg party
  5. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    You could add a corn hole tournament to the keg party
    Set a price like $20 buy in for a team and the winners can win like $50 or something like that (depending on how many entries) and the rest of the money gets donated. Are you guys allowed to hit up local businesses for donations? Maybe have a raffle with prizes like 2 movie tickets to the local theater, gift cards to mom and pop shops, things like that. Then the benefit is 2-fold, raising money for charity and bringing business to local shops. Even if it's something like a free dessert with a meal at Granny Smiths cafe or whatever. People love to win things, even little things. Play off of that and hype it up.
  6. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

When I was in ZTA, we had an annual spaghetti dinner that we sold tickets for and everyone came and cooked and brought deserts etc. and it was always fun and raised money! A funny one I remember that sticks out to me was a frat did their annual "Car Bash" where they'd go find an old junker car to get donated and they'd set it up in the school common area and sell tickets for you to beat the ever living hell out of the car you'd pay $1 for 1 minute and they'd always end up raising a ton of money. I think they'd set it up during finals week too so it was a good way to let out some stress!

7. Senior Member
    No it's actually sponsored by Wounded Warrior, you register with them, they'll actually send you logo adorned stuff for you event, etc. We also cannot associate alcohol with anything gamma phi related so that's a no go. Besides colleges kids do do more than drink

8. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    No it's actually sponsored by Wounded Warrior, you register with them, they'll actually send you logo adorned stuff for you event, etc. We also cannot associate alcohol with anything gamma phi related so that's a no go. Besides colleges kids do do more than drink
    K∆'s cornhole tourney was successful at my school, and there was no alcohol All the other sororities and frats sponsored teams, and anyone else could register non-greek teams too.

Pi Kappa Phi always did a disability dinner too. It was some sort of pasta dinner, and when you got there, you were assigned a disability, and had it throughout the whole dinner. I remember I was blind, and someone else had to get my food and I had to eat with a blindfold on. If done tastefully and carefully, something similar could work to raise Wounded Warriors awareness and money.
  9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post

life's a party, rock your body
  10. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

OH another fun thing my school did but all the frats/sororities participated was a mud volleyball tournament with a crawfish boil! They sold tickets individually for people who wanted to come for the actual crawfish boil and then had registration for teams of 6 to play in they tournament. It was like $60 for a team (so $10 a person) and then if they wanted to buy a food ticket, that's only $25 for a person to eat and play so it isn't too expensive and it was a ton of fun! You wouldn't necessarily have to do mud volleyball but that added to the appeal