Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tough Mudders 2013 (sorry about the old thread - oops!)

1. Regular Member

Tough Mudders 2013 (sorry about the old thread - oops!)

Advertisements
    So, I accidentally posted on an old thread... Whoops.

But are any of you guys going to do a Tough Mudder this year, and if so which one? I'm doing the Warrior Dash in August and then the Louisville Tough Mudder in October. These are my first obstacle/mud races and I want to know how else I should train for them - and just hear stories!
  2. Senior Member
    DH and I are doing the TM in Nov with some friends. The TM website has some good workout routines. Basically you should be running about 2-3x per week and then strength training 3x per week.

ETA depending on how much time you have before your event, here is a pretty good training schedule. http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness...ning-Plan.html
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    DH and I are doing the TM in Nov with some friends. The TM website has some good workout routines. Basically you should be running about 2-3x per week and then strength training 3x per week.

ETA depending on how much time you have before your event, here is a pretty good training schedule. 12-Week Tough Mudder Training Plan | Endurance | OutsideOnline.com
    I run 4-6 miles every day but Sunday. It's the strength training that I'm missing out on. Thanks for the link - that looks awesome! Have you done one if the races before?
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CinciNanny View Post
    I run 4-6 miles every day but Sunday. It's the strength training that I'm missing out on. Thanks for the link - that looks awesome! Have you done one if the races before?
    Not yet! Nov will be my first tough mudder. DH did one with his guys last year and loved it. From what everyone has told me, upper body strength is super important. You can run all you want but if you can't pull yourself up over an 8ft wall then you are going to have a tough time. So I am trying to focus on a lot of upper body strength workouts since I don't have much right now DH also said that there isn't a lot of long distance running since often times you have to wait behind people to do some of the obstacles so if you can run 5-6miles then you should be fine with the running aspect.

I think when we get closer to the race I am going to go down to Bragg with DH and do some of the obstacle courses on post since I usually just go for runs and have never really done actual obstacles.
  5. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Dh did one in December and is doing on in Florida in 13 days. He works out pretty much every day of the week. He's doing this one with just one friend but it was him and four buddies that did it in December and they would do the obstacle course on base all the time, they have a couple mooring lines that two of them would face each other one rope in each hand and they would kind of shake them up and down.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Me and DH are doing the TM in Oct and I can't wait. I'm extremely out of shape but I just started going back to the gym, and I'm focusing on jogging and my arms and legs. Upper body strength is going to be needed when doing some of the obstacles of TM.
  7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I've done both Tough Mudder and the Spartan Race, as well as many mud runs like the Warrior Dash/Rugged Maniac. Good luck to everyone and feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions!!!