Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some qualities?

1. To die and come back as a leotard?
    To die and come back as a leotard?
    Blog Entries

Big Grin What are some qualities?

Advertisements
    I am running to be the FRG leader for our command. Its a small one, and very tight knit. I was wondering what are the qualities that you as a spouce, girlfriend, mother, daughter, etc expect from an FRG leader?

I want to be a great leader, and in order to do that, I would LOVE some feedback.

Thanks in advance!!
  2. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    I don't have too much experience with this yet, but I loved the first FRG leader I met. She was down to earth, friendly and VERY welcoming. She couldn't keep names straight to save her life, but she made everyone feel welcome and a part of the group. So I guess that's what I'd look for.

Our current leader JUST made contact with me last week, which is funny since we got here in May and have attended 4 functions and she never even introduced herself.

I'd just hope for someone who was friendly, welcoming and responsible. (Oh, and fun couldn't hurt either) I'm sure you'll do great!
  3. To die and come back as a leotard?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MissOptimistic View Post
    I don't have too much experience with this yet, but I loved the first FRG leader I met. She was down to earth, friendly and VERY welcoming. She couldn't keep names straight to save her life, but she made everyone feel welcome and a part of the group. So I guess that's what I'd look for.

Our current leader JUST made contact with me last week, which is funny since we got here in May and have attended 4 functions and she never even introduced herself.

I'd just hope for someone who was friendly, welcoming and responsible. (Oh, and fun couldn't hurt either) I'm sure you'll do great!
    That is a great responce I hope to be all of those!!
  4. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    you need to be involved and at everything early.

I sat on the board for two years as Homecoming Chair and Treas. and our president this last year either didn't show up or showed up 40 mins after it started. The first year (H.C.) the president was at everything she was even at the Command storage building at 8pm at night helping me white wash boards last min.

So good rule of thumb is if you have a meeting and it starts at 5pm you need to be there at 4pm to have everything set up so that you can walk around and greet people. I'm not lying when I say our last President used to show up at 5:30 for a meeting to start at 5pm. Im the one who showed up at 4 got drinks ready and tables set and sign in sheets done.
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  5. To die and come back as a leotard?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickels View Post
    you need to be involved and at everything early.

I sat on the board for two years as Homecoming Chair and Treas. and our president this last year either didn't show up or showed up 40 mins after it started. The first year (H.C.) the president was at everything she was even at the Command storage building at 8pm at night helping me white wash boards last min.

So good rule of thumb is if you have a meeting and it starts at 5pm you need to be there at 4pm to have everything set up so that you can walk around and greet people. I'm not lying when I say our last President used to show up at 5:30 for a meeting to start at 5pm. Im the one who showed up at 4 got drinks ready and tables set and sign in sheets done.
    THIS is good advice. I have an arrangment with my mom to take my boys for a few hours before and after each gathering. I have a lot of support and really want to share!
    Banned
    Experience with public speaking, experience leading a group, professional demeanor, ability to be cordial to everyone, ability to maintain a tight lip if necessary, previous FRG experience, 6 months+ participating with the command, ability to maintain composure under pressure, promptness with getting tasks done, making use of and providing the FRG with all of the resources available, familiarity with bylaws/command rules, etc.
  7. Senior Member
    I don't have much experience from the FRG but I did a little during deployment and I hated that we had to call the FRG leader person to find ANYTHING out about the homecoming. IMO as soon as they have the littlest bit of information they should be calling everyone to let them know too.

8. To die and come back as a leotard?
    Blog Entries
    Both great posts! Keep em coming! Im learning a lot!
  9. Yes I miss Spell Words and my Grammar Sucks.... Get over it.
    Yes I miss Spell Words and my Grammar Sucks.... Get over it.
    The important things have already been named by previous posters.

Being involved and being welcoming, Is the most important for me. I have more of a shy personalty and coming from a different country and being new to the military, I didn't even knew how to find out who the FRG leader is or what the FRG is lol. I still don't know who the FRG leader is for us and they haven't introduced themselves. I hear they have a lot of drama and power games going on. And apparently the only time they are involved is when there is a deployment.

Of course all of this could be wrong, but like I said I haven't heard from them yet.

The fact that you ask for our opinion on how to be an FRG leader says so much to me, and I wish I had an FRG leader like you.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I worked with the frg leader when we lived in fort lewis. I loved it. every month we did a fund raiser. the money that we made we used to do fun stuff with our families, even when the guys were home.

when there was a birth, the baby got a little bag of goodies and the mom got a little bag of goodies. ( we did hand made stuff too)

we were a small group and very close so we did birthdays and bbqs and pot lucks.

the main thing was we tried to really get to know the families in the frg, not just the wives. we had movie nights, girls night out, skating parties, etc... most things were paid for out of our frg funds.

also the day before our guys came home, we would all get together and put a welcome back sign for the single soldiers, we gave them a box of goodies when they got back too. and there was not a single soldier in our bunch that ever spent a holiday in the barracks.

I realize that family readiness group is supposed to be for the wives or at least that is what we were told but we wanted our entire unit to be a family so that is what we strove for.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast