Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some qualities?

Banned
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissyh33 View Post
    I don't have much experience from the FRG but I did a little during deployment and I hated that we had to call the FRG leader person to find ANYTHING out about the homecoming. IMO as soon as they have the littlest bit of information they should be calling everyone to let them know too.
    Usually this isn't the job of the FRG. More often than not it is your ombudsman's/command's responsibility to put word out. The FRG President has no power over when information is shared/released.
  2. Regular Member
    Somebody who has been around the command and been an active member in the FRG. And somebody that everybody likes and supports. At least that is what I would look for in a FRG leader
  3. To die and come back as a leotard?
    To die and come back as a leotard?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyStrong View Post

the main thing was we tried to really get to know the families in the frg, not just the wives. we had movie nights, girls night out, skating parties, etc... most things were paid for out of our frg funds.

I realize that family readiness group is supposed to be for the wives or at least that is what we were told but we wanted our entire unit to be a family so that is what we strove for.
    I agree with you 100% I dont think the FRG is mainly for "the wives" I think that the FRG should be a culmination of wives/SO's supporting and helping the family/community that they are a part of, and the culmination itself becomes support for each memeber. If that makes any sense. It becomes circular.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchored2aSailor View Post
    Usually this isn't the job of the FRG. More often than not it is your ombudsman's/command's responsibility to put word out. The FRG President has no power over when information is shared/released.
    This is true, YOU my dear are a wealth of knowlege.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hmm the one complaint I really had with my old FRG was that they seemed kind of resentful if people didn't attend all the events. I worked so I couldn't go to most of the FRG events but I did go to the ones I could, and one time the FRG leader said something kind of snotty to me, like "Glad you could grace us with your presence" or something along those lines. And made comments about how everyone needed to help with things and pull their weight because some people didn't.

I would have liked it if she were more understanding. Work came before FRG stuff and I did what I could.
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Be prepared for disappointment. I am lead key spouse. Our unit is very small and close. We usually have less than 6 people deployed at a time, but always have someone deployed. I have tried to get others involved with unit activities with no luck. The commander sent out an email asking everyone to email me their contact info or have their spouses contact me, no one did. I organized a morning tea and only one person turned up. I understand that people have lives, however the majority didn't even email or call me to let me know they would not be able to attend, even after the commander sent out a second email about the event and asked them to RSVP yes or no.

6. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    Be prepared for disappointment. I am lead key spouse. Our unit is very small and close. We usually have less than 6 people deployed at a time, but always have someone deployed. I have tried to get others involved with unit activities with no luck. The commander sent out an email asking everyone to email me their contact info or have their spouses contact me, no one did. I organized a morning tea and only one person turned up. I understand that people have lives, however the majority didn't even email or call me to let me know they would not be able to attend, even after the commander sent out a second email about the event and asked them to RSVP yes or no.
    I will have morning tea with you!
  7. To die and come back as a leotard?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Hmm the one complaint I really had with my old FRG was that they seemed kind of resentful if people didn't attend all the events. I worked so I couldn't go to most of the FRG events but I did go to the ones I could, and one time the FRG leader said something kind of snotty to me, like "Glad you could grace us with your presence" or something along those lines. And made comments about how everyone needed to help with things and pull their weight because some people didn't.

I would have liked it if she were more understanding. Work came before FRG stuff and I did what I could.
    To be honest, I would appreciate anyone showing up at any time. I am so sorry that you were rebuffed, how rude! FRG does rely a lot on their members being consistant, BUT and I mean a HUGE BUT, if people are rude or unwelcoming they loose that connection with that person over all. Again, I am really sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MissOptimistic View Post
    I will have morning tea with you!
    right behind ya!!
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by abbienikol View Post
    This is true, YOU my dear are a wealth of knowlege.
    It is part of my job. I'm the eyes and ears!

FRGs have had many facelifts during the years. What used to be wives only, Wives clubs/groups, turned in to Family Support Groups (FSG), and then in to FRG-Family Readiness Group. Many FRGs are only as good as the members and position holders. Of course the command has a lot to do with it as well, since FRGs are luxuries and can be terminated at the command's request.
  9. To die and come back as a leotard?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchored2aSailor View Post
    It is part of my job. I'm the eyes and ears!

FRGs have had many facelifts during the years. What used to be wives only, Wives clubs/groups, turned in to Family Support Groups (FSG), and then in to FRG-Family Readiness Group. Many FRGs are only as good as the members and position holders. Of course the command has a lot to do with it as well, since FRGs are luxuries and can be terminated at the command's request.
    I cant imagine a command getting rid of their frg, that would be worrisome, Something would have to go incredily awry I think for that to happen. I've been participating in a version of FRG one way or another since I was a small child and have never seen that happen. Have you?
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by abbienikol View Post
    To be honest, I would appreciate anyone showing up at any time. I am so sorry that you were rebuffed, how rude! FRG does rely a lot on their members being consistant, BUT and I mean a HUGE BUT, if people are rude or unwelcoming they loose that connection with that person over all. Again, I am really sorry.
    Yes, I understand if she was frustrated. We did have a small FRG but I was never asked for an RSVP or anything so ... I dunno. Our whole command was like that actually, my DH's XO called me up at work and bitched me out for not coming to a training that the commander had excused me from. I think they just got really pissy when someone couldn't do something on their schedule and it carried over to the FRG.

I am over it now though! I just wanted to share my experience. I think it's awesome that you're gathering info and it sounds like you're doing to do a great job.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast