Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an FRG meeting

1. Not really a navy gf anymore...
    Not really a navy gf anymore...

Question Looking for an FRG meeting

Advertisements
    in Norfolk, VA.

I haven't been in contact with DB for days now and he never mentioned FRG's. I'd really be interested in attempting to go to at least one.

Anyone know of anyone in the Norfolk, VA region (Norfolk Naval Base) who's in or running FRG's?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    They are based on the command that they are at. If he is on shore duty, then I am not sure if they have anything like the FRG or not. If you are in contact with the command Ombudsman, you can ask them about the FRG. Each command runs it differently, so you will want to find out how his command FRG works.
  3. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    Some commands don't allow GFs to participate, and if your DB didn't put you on the contact list for the ombudsman, she may not give you any information.
  4. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Our last command didn't allow girlfriends to participate in the meetings...

And the current command doesn't even have an FRG....
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I got to be frank and for the commands that don't allow gf to be part of there FRG's are wrong! I was in the situation when my DH and I where dating and learned later on that GF are allowed to join FRG's. I been to plenty of trainings for FRG leaders and AFTB (army family team building) instructor and knowing for a fact that GF's are allowed to join FRG's. So with commands staying that gf's are not allowed to join is a bunch of crap! Your just as much as concerned about your solider, marine, sailor or airman just as everyone else is!
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by CptWife316 View Post
    I got to be frank and for the commands that don't allow gf to be part of there FRG's are wrong! I was in the situation when my DH and I where dating and learned later on that GF are allowed to join FRG's. I been to plenty of trainings for FRG leaders and AFTB (army family team building) instructor and knowing for a fact that GF's are allowed to join FRG's. So with commands staying that gf's are not allowed to join is a bunch of crap! Your just as much as concerned about your solider, marine, sailor or airman just as everyone else is!
    I was told that it became a nuisance when "flavors of the week" would attend meetings. We had phone trees and sure exceptions were made for that IF said person was made a point of contact.
  7. Not really a navy gf anymore...
    Well if the government decides to be a douche about not letting me know info and G2Gs because I am only a new fiancee, then they can just shove it. If I have to get info I'm willing to wait until DF can get me info or ask his mom. Screw the military.. I've heard the FRG meetings are crap anyways. If you don't have a kid there's no point showing.

I understand the 'flavor of the week' problem, but DF didn't have TIME before deployment to set up things like that. I just wanted to make some **** friends in the area and figured meeting other military spouses would help.
  8. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead_navygf View Post
    Well if the government decides to be a douche about not letting me know info and G2Gs because I am only a new fiancee, then they can just shove it. If I have to get info I'm willing to wait until DF can get me info or ask his mom. Screw the military.. I've heard the FRG meetings are crap anyways. If you don't have a kid there's no point showing.

I understand the 'flavor of the week' problem, but DF didn't have TIME before deployment to set up things like that. I just wanted to make some **** friends in the area and figured meeting other military spouses would help.
    That is a little harsh. I understand that it sucks to be left out of the loop but your df can do the paperwork while he is out to sea if he wanted to.

I loved our FRG meetings and they were helpful... dh commented a lot that I knew what was going on before he did.

And with a screw the military attitude... you are not going to do so great in the Hampton Roads area... it is 90% military due to the number of bases here.

If you were really interested you could check out your df's commands web site they normally have a link to the FRG or you could contact an ombudsman to see if you would be able to attend... you could have difficulty getting on base if they hold it on base because you don't have ID.
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  9. Not really a navy gf anymore...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    That is a little harsh. I understand that it sucks to be left out of the loop but your df can do the paperwork while he is out to sea if he wanted to.

I loved our FRG meetings and they were helpful... dh commented a lot that I knew what was going on before he did.

And with a screw the military attitude... you are not going to do so great in the Hampton Roads area... it is 90% military due to the number of bases here.

If you were really interested you could check out your df's commands web site they normally have a link to the FRG or you could contact an ombudsman to see if you would be able to attend... you could have difficulty getting on base if they hold it on base because you don't have ID.

I'm not saying screw the military in general. I'm just saying screw them when it comes to the "fiancee is still not wife" thing. And if we have our way, I won't be wife for many, many years. I'm not moving to Norfolk to be military. I'm moving to Norfolk for med school. I'm just supporting him during his military obligation.

I posted this thread to see if anyone had info on FRG meetings in the area because I wanted to make FRIENDS. I don't need the FRG meeting to do so, but I thought it'd be easier to meet some people who's SOs are on the same sub. I thought it would be something easy to get into but apparently I'm wrong. I just didn't want to move to a city where I have no friends, work FT, school FT and the only family is his. Nevermind then.
    Last edited by redhead_navygf; 07-03-2009 at 06:54 AM.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    FRGs' are typically for the command members only, not outside members. Most shore command's do not have an FRG because the primary purpose is support during deployment and frankly when commands are not deployed there is little to no participation. Commands make the decisions on whether to let GF/BF participate or get information, not the FRG itself in many cases and most often the military member doesn't want his or her GF or BF to get the information unless they are actually married and then sometimes they still don't want the spouse to have anything to do with the FRG or Ombudsman because all they have heard is negative information.

The FRG IS a great way to meet people and get involved, but a person can't just join any ol' FRG at the base they are at - it should be with the command that their SO is assigned.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast