Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: pescatarians/vegetarians

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

pescatarians/vegetarians

Advertisements
    Any Pescatarians/vegetarians on the board? I'm considering switching over to a Pescatarian diet, mainly for health reasons, and could use some help. Types of food to eat, calories, keeping up with all your vitamins and minerals, how you deal with cravings, etc.

Any help is appreciated!
  2. Senior Member
    You will definitely need to take supplements. I was on a vegetarian diet and got pretty weak. I got sick and tired really easily, but I wasn't taking any supplments. I believe there are breakfast shakes to help with that
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm a vegetarian, mostly vegan I don't take any vitamins and have never had problems. When I first switched, I joined a meal plan subscription to make sure I was balancing meals but it's really not that hard to make sure you're eating well. I like Happy Herbivore, Vegan Richa, Holy Cow...there's a bunch of other ones I follow. Those are all vegan but you can easily use cow's milk and cheese in the recipes.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I was raised and continue to be a pescatarian. I've never had red meat or pork or anything like that before. Definitely no supplements required here since I get plenty of protein. And no cravings because I've never eaten a different way . Honestly it used to be a lot harder when I was a kid to be a pescatarian because things like turkey burgers or food without bacon and other meat was not as easy to come by. Now I think it's a more common lifestyle so finding substitutes out at restaurants is pretty easy.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I've been a vegetarian for over 10 years now. I'm not a faux meat person. One thing to watch are your carbs. It is easy to revert to eating pasta, bread, etc. I've pretty much cut out carbs like that just to keep myself from doing that. I have protein smoothies everyday. I use bananas to get the creamy texture, frozen fruit like mangoes, ice and the protein powder. No dairy. In fact, I don't eat much dairy either. My diet is basically fruit and veggies. I do eat beans (you can use beans in place of meat for tacos, quesadillas, etc.), hummus is amazing. I really like beets. Costco even has a beet hummus that is delish. Being vegetarian has kind of forced to branch out and try foods I probably wouldn't have otherwise and have found I really like them. I do have some treat items like chocolate covered pretzels and frozen yogurt. I also take vitamins everyday. They range from multi-vitamins, vitamin D, calcium, etc. Going out to eat now is much easier than it used to be. Most restaurants have embraced vegetarians and if they don't have a vegetarian section they have items without meat or that they can take the meat out of if you ask. I've asked a lot over the years and everybody has been very accommodating. However, some places just are not able to because of how they prep their food and/or their food selection so I have had to walk out and go somewhere else, too. I feel better as a vegetarian than when I ate meat. I have more energy and my complexion is better. I also went through 2 pregnancies and nursed both of them for a total of just shy of 2 years.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Does anyone track their vitamins? Like, "I eat this much of this a day so I'm not deficient" and what are those things? I don't track anything now, because I assume that I just get it, but after a few dietician appointments I've realized that I should be regardless of what diet preference.

Ive hit many hills and valleys in terms of weight, health, and fitness, and I know that diet is a major contributor in all three and really would like to make an all around change in my lifestyle when it comes to fueling my body.
  7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    You will definitely need to take supplements. I was on a vegetarian diet and got pretty weak. I got sick and tired really easily, but I wasn't taking any supplments. I believe there are breakfast shakes to help with that
    I disagree with this. Of course, it depends on your personal health needs/concerns (and I am not a doctor), but a healthy, well planned, diverse vegetarian diet doesn't require supplements or protein shakes/powders. Plenty of studies prove that plant-based diets are rich in nutrients and healthier for your body. I was a vegetarian for 5 years and a vegan for 4. Never had a supplement or any health issues.

OP - I never dealt with cravings, but as a vegetarian and vegan I'd often bring faux meat products to parties or get togethers with similar foods (fake chicken nuggets to a BBQ, etc.). There are some really great fake products out there these days like Beyond Meat and Dr. Praegger's, and they taste waaaay better than they used to. If you'd like ideas for recipes, you can always use vegweb.com, ohsheglows.com, happyherbivore.com, the veganstoner.com, and allrecipes.com. There are so many websites with all kinds of vegetarian cuisine, you'll never get bored.

To follow up on your newer post, I never tracked vitamins but if you're into that, you could totally use an app like My Fitness Pal!
  8. Regular Member
    I am a vegan and the only supplement I take is B12, once a week. Not sure why anyone would feel weak unless they did not eat a balanced diet consisting of mostly whole foods
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Does anyone track their vitamins? Like, "I eat this much of this a day so I'm not deficient" and what are those things? I don't track anything now, because I assume that I just get it, but after a few dietician appointments I've realized that I should be regardless of what diet preference.

When I first went vegan I used Cronometer, an app and website, to see if I was getting everything I needed but then it got much easier so I have not used it much. I love Hotforfood and the minimalist baker. The minimalist baker has awesome food with simple ingredients and I like that!
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I've been a pescatarian for about 9 months now. I don't have cravings. I will sometimes "forget" I'm not eating meat, get to a restaurant and be thinking, oh, chicken alfredo sounds good, then I remember I don't eat that and just choose something else. But I don't sit around wishing I could eat meat. There are so many good substitutes. I have become a huge fan of veggie burgers.

I can't eat a lot of the fake meat products, because they are made of textured proteins that make me sick to my stomach. I don't think my diet has changed that much, although I probably eat more cheese and less milk. I'm trying to stop eating dairy, but I think it's hard to not eat meat and remove cheese as well. Eventually I'll get there.

If you are eating a lot of fish, just keep in mind that some fish has higher mercury levels, and you should limit your intake of that.