Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cindy Lou Who ! I need Harry Potter help!!!!!

1. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackadoo View Post
    Bajingo I am laughing so hard right now it's not even funny.

Okay so is the order and information I am about to present correct.

Sorcerer's Stone #1 _ Harry is 11?
    #2 Chamber of Secrets - Harry is 12?
    #3 Prisoner of Azkaban- Harry is 13?
    #4 Goblet of Fire - 14?
    #5 Order of the Phoenix - 15?
    #6 Half Blood Prince - 16?
    #7 Deathly Hallows #1 - 17?
    and #8 Deathly Hallows #2- 18 yrs old.

Is that the correct age lineup there? How old was he when his parents died and his moved in with his crazy aunt and uncle?
    Deathly Hallows is only one book it's just split into two movies!

But he was only a year old when his parents were killed by Voldemort and that's when he was sent to his horrible aunt and uncle who took care of him until he was of age to go to Hogwarts! And even then they were still technically his guardians.

Ahhhh there's just so much like where to even start!!!

2. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    In an effort to be helpful, I don't think you could easily assess him without reading the seven books. I saw you asked earlier if he is happy....the books go from age 11 to 17, his , mental health and moods vary wildly. Book 5, he was a miserable sob (imho) but not as much in other years. I guess I just really don't think it'd be easy to assess with out reading the books (movies are fun, but give no emotional realm)
    To be fair, I think 15 is a hard time for anybody. Add in dead parents, abusive caregivers, witnessing a murder, and a crazy guy trying to kill you? It makes for some legitimate reasons to be miserable.

But srsly, he was super mean to Ron and Hermione sometimes and they were always awesome friends so that was shitty of him

ETA: I do totally agree that reading the books is the best way to understand Harry. There's so much detail in them and it's really the only way to accurately grasp the world and the characters

3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    The idea of a HP crash course is liek saying I would like a crash course in astrophysics. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Im too drunk for this.
  4. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by bajingo View Post
    OMG NO
    There is no 8! 8 is Hollywood's way of making money. Only 7 books - Harry is 17 when he battles Moldyshorts. Which makes him an adult in the wizarding world, but a wee babe to us muggles

ETA: other than that you look spot on. He was I believe just over 1 when his parents died and Dumbledeedore dropped him in a basket on his Aunt and Uncle's doorstep
    Ahhhh Noted Awesome. Thank you that is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Mermaid. View Post
    Voldy doesn't live/work at Hogworts. He has a safe house in which he stays.

Harry lives in the Gryffindor dorms when he doesn't stay with his abusive uncle and cousin. His uncle and cousin all verbally, emotional, mentally abuse him.

Harry also has to do with bullying from the other kids at times.

There are Dementors which can cause depression like symptoms -- and Harry almost died to one. JK Rowling's depression inspired some of her most iconic villains.

I found this link/idea about Harry Potter a while ago and you might be interested in it: Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental health? | Deseret News National Pretty much a guy on reddit came up with the idea that Harry Potter isn't a wizard but actually in an asylum and explains how the story revolves around mental health.
    I am looking forward to reviewing those links that is extremely interesting. Thanks. A bunch of awesome information.
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    In an effort to be helpful, I don't think you could easily assess him without reading the seven books. I saw you asked earlier if he is happy....the books go from age 11 to 17, his , mental health and moods vary wildly. Book 5, he was a miserable sob (imho) but not as much in other years. I guess I just really don't think it'd be easy to assess with out reading the books (movies are fun, but give no emotional realm)
    I agree that that is probably the case. My project isn't actually due for another 5 weeks I just had to pick a person tonight and we didn't know until a few days ago it had to be a fictional person so the general rundown is more for my hey this is who I chose input. I am hoping to be able to find all the books at the library this week and the movies somewhere and binge hardcore Luckily I read pretty fast so I am going to have to schedule like no other between school and littles and snow storm but I am hoping to get through the books if possible. I am guessing they are pretty easy reads. Getting everyone else's insights about it all though is also super helpful to the aspects of it. It's good perspective and just one facet of "getting to know the client" and not the only source by any means. Just a great jumping point since I know there are so many HP fans here. And because Cindy offered to help
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have not forgotten about you! I have a few things to do this morning, then I'll write my long answer
  6. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    As far as rundowns go I think you pretty much have the gist. I'm also a harry potter freak so feel free to pm me as well if you need more help. Though there is a vast array of mental health things I think harry really starts showing signs of depression, PTSD, and obsession in the fifth book and beyond. If you find you are struggling with getting through all of the books I would say watch the first few movies (1-4) maybe reading the last few chapters of four then read 5-7.
    Jim Dale, one of the audio readers is also awesome if you think that approach is easier.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    DP
    Last edited by AshleyO; 01-04-2015 at 11:46 AM.

I Eelizah
  8. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Oh boy..... where does 1 even start with this... i feel overwhelmed lol.

The books are a great place to start and to read. THe first 3 are the shortest. The 4h and on are lengthy, with the 7th being pretty thick. The movies are about 3-3.5 hours long, usually.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    So funny, I am rereading the series for about the millionth time right now, lol.
  10. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    I think you got the gist, has a reader's perspective and someone who has read the books I forget how many times, LOVE them. At 24 when I read them Harry's response to losing his parents and his crazy aunt and uncle are actually pretty mild. He doesn't overly act out, just has a hero complex, he feels he has a responsibility to save those who are innocent, heck he saves Draco (his teenage arch nemisis) in the 7th book. Yep he for sure has PTSD and depression though, which who wouldn't after watching a guy murdered and then being part of a weird magical experiment!

Oh to be a wizard..... I wish.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123