Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: SingWeJoyous

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

SingWeJoyous

Advertisements
    So obviously you're crazy busy with your newest little handsome man but I think I'm remembering correctly - was it you who moved to be with your husband during a school he went to? San Diego, I think? I have a couple questions about logistics with doing that as we may be doing the same thing since DH has to do a six month school before he gets to our new duty station.
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

She moved to Monterey to be with her husband during DLI. I will bug her today to tell her to come look.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sinderbelly View Post
    She moved to Monterey to be with her husband during DLI. I will bug her today to tell her to come look.
    So mommy brain almost got it correct Thanks, Trina! Tell her it's no rush, though, we have 4mos until we actually leave here, we're just trying to weigh all the options
  4. Moderator

Hi hi! We've moved to be with him twice on TDYs for training- once to San Angelo and once to Monterey. I know Navy can be super different, so what we were allowed to do may be different, but I'll answer whatever I can!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hi :waves I definitely forgot where I posted this yesterday morning so yay insanity brought on by tiny humans

Ok, DH has to go to a school in Norfolk for six months, the orders are being written so that me and the boys are in Kings Bay and he goes to Norfolk and then comes down to us after his school. I'm wondering hwo it would work if I decided to hold off on getting a house in GA and taking that BAH money and getting a short term rental in Norfolk to be with DH? Like is that even possible or are we breaking some kind of BAH rule? We've never been stationed stateside before (except DH when he was in schools before his first move and we weren't married then) so I'm kinda ignorant as far as BAH goes.
  6. Moderator

Ok so. I also forgot where you posted this. Sorry! As far as I know, you can use your BAH for whatever you choose. When we went with DH to Goodfellow, we used our BAH to get an apartment and he was able to get permission to stay with us. When we went to Monterey we got really lucky because he couldn't stay in lodging because they didn't provide a vehicle and his course was too far away, so he was given a daily housing stipend. We used that (only about half of it, actually, but it's use it or lose it) to rent a furnished apartment, and our BAH to pay our rent back in GA. So really it depends on how his orders are written and what his command (lingo could be different for Navy) will allow. It could be that you can use BAH to get a place but he won't be allowed to stay with you- but you'd still at least be close so you could hang out in that case. Your BAH for GA may be difficult to work with in VA since the cost of living is pretty low here. Although maybe King's Bay is higher than Disgusta.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    Ok so. I also forgot where you posted this. Sorry! As far as I know, you can use your BAH for whatever you choose. When we went with DH to Goodfellow, we used our BAH to get an apartment and he was able to get permission to stay with us. When we went to Monterey we got really lucky because he couldn't stay in lodging because they didn't provide a vehicle and his course was too far away, so he was given a daily housing stipend. We used that (only about half of it, actually, but it's use it or lose it) to rent a furnished apartment, and our BAH to pay our rent back in GA. So really it depends on how his orders are written and what his command (lingo could be different for Navy) will allow. It could be that you can use BAH to get a place but he won't be allowed to stay with you- but you'd still at least be close so you could hang out in that case. Your BAH for GA may be difficult to work with in VA since the cost of living is pretty low here. Although maybe King's Bay is higher than Disgusta.
    Thanks for all of this! Unfortunately, we're pretty sure it's being written so he'll have to be in barracks (although our detailor - orders writer guy, not sure if it's the same term for AF ) but since he's higher ranking he can live with us if we choose. We had a long, long talk complete with a Ven Diagram and pros/cons list that boiled down to the smartest thing financially and mentally (for me) being that me and the kids get into a house ASAP in Kings Bay and he goes up to his school in Norfolk with us meeting at my parents halfway between both places where we have a free 'hotel' (aka my parents house ) and ease of doing things both way. I don't think I can manage being in a place knowing that I can't really have my stuff or set it up the way I would want (or really have time to make friends and get a support system) after being here and being in limbo for the entire time since we've been up for orders and have had orders cancelled on us three times now. At least in Kings Bay I can have a home base and really put down some sort of roots and feel like home and get situated with meeting people and getting involved.

Thanks so much for your info! I really appreciate it all.