Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sweetvanity

  1. Senior Member
    Katayoun's Avatar
    Katayoun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,244
    #1

    Sweetvanity

    Advertisements
    Hi!

    I haven't seen you around much lately. What the heck have you been up to?
  2. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    the_lepus's Avatar
    the_lepus is offline
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,707
    #2

  3. Senior Member
    Katayoun's Avatar
    Katayoun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,244
    #3
    Vanity! Inquiring minds want to know!
  4. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    sweetvanity's Avatar
    sweetvanity is offline
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9,370
    #4
    Hey girls!

    I've been working insane amounts of hours at my internship site. I have 20 clients that I see every week, so in addition to clinical notes, meetings, education seminars for the site, I am logging about 60 hr work weeks. And of course I still have my regular classroom requirements etc...

    My clients are amazing, however, so I can't really complain. I've really started focussing on work with sexual assault survivors, and have partnered with the local Sexual Assault Resource Center (SARC) to work with some of their "over flow" clients who cannot be worked into the caseloads of counselors at the site itself. Also, I co-facilitate a group therapy session every Monday night. I love it because so much of my work with these women focus on personal empowerment, reclaiming oneself, and feelings of self-worthiness. It is so invigorating and humbling to be part of their healing process.

    Other than that, I'm trying to get myself to Yoga/Pilates 2x's a week, and then fit in a run when I can. I have 7 more weeks of pure craziness, and then hopefully things will settle down.

    How about you (both)?

    www.SnarkyFit.com
  5. Senior Member
    Katayoun's Avatar
    Katayoun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,244
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    Hey girls!

    I've been working insane amounts of hours at my internship site. I have 20 clients that I see every week, so in addition to clinical notes, meetings, education seminars for the site, I am logging about 60 hr work weeks. And of course I still have my regular classroom requirements etc...

    My clients are amazing, however, so I can't really complain. I've really started focussing on work with sexual assault survivors, and have partnered with the local Sexual Assault Resource Center (SARC) to work with some of their "over flow" clients who cannot be worked into the caseloads of counselors at the site itself. Also, I co-facilitate a group therapy session every Monday night. I love it because so much of my work with these women focus on personal empowerment, reclaiming oneself, and feelings of self-worthiness. It is so invigorating and humbling to be part of their healing process.

    Other than that, I'm trying to get myself to Yoga/Pilates 2x's a week, and then fit in a run when I can. I have 7 more weeks of pure craziness, and then hopefully things will settle down.

    How about you (both)?
    That is so awesome! Seriously good for you. I am so glad people like you live in our world and make it a manageable place.

    Things around here are pretty good. DB will be here at the beginning of August because he's halfway through with his language training. I can't believe how fast it has gone by. I start my graphic design program in the Fall. It runs through June 2014 and then I will be graduated. So I'm taking Math and Writing right now to get it out of the way since that time will be pretty crazy. I'm still chugging away at my job at the dance studio, appreciating the flexibility it gives a student and Army Girlfriend. My aunt passed away at the beginning of May and that has been a lot to handle. I didn't realize until just the other day that I was grieving pretty hard by being pissed of and angry much of the time. This morning, I went to a Universalist Unitarian church and it was awesome. I hope it can get me through this crazy chapter.
  6. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    sweetvanity's Avatar
    sweetvanity is offline
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9,370
    #6
    I'm glad to hear your enjoyed your experience at the UU Church! I'm also grateful to hear that you're acknowledging the need for a grieving process. It seems like one of those "no-brainer" things, but you'd be surprised at how many people go on for years just "clogged up" and miserable because they haven't given themselves the space or time to heal.

    Can I be nerdy for a second? I recently found this pdf on J William Worden's 4 Tasks of Mourning and I've been incorporating it into my work (ignore the header). A lot of people are familiar with the Stages of Grief, but for some people, this presentation works better. Even though it sounds as though you're doing everything you can to address your loss healthfully, it never hurts to have another resource to help others understand what you're working through or help them grieve if they need it.

    BTW: I had NO idea you worked at a dance studio! That is so cool. Do you teach there or do something else? What kind of dance? (I have negative amounts of rhythm... I make Zumba look like a bad muscle spasm).

    www.SnarkyFit.com
  7. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    the_lepus's Avatar
    the_lepus is offline
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,707
    #7
    I'm glad everything is going well (even though it sounds hectic!) You're work sounds really rewarding It sounds like you are helping a lot of people! Are you enjoying TX still? How is you DH's schooling going?

    Things here are good. I'm just working a lot and getting ready to graduate in December. Once I graduate I'm moving to j-hole so that's getting here faster than I thought

  8. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    sweetvanity's Avatar
    sweetvanity is offline
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9,370
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    I'm glad everything is going well (even though it sounds hectic!) You're work sounds really rewarding It sounds like you are helping a lot of people! Are you enjoying TX still? How is you DH's schooling going?

    Things here are good. I'm just working a lot and getting ready to graduate in December. Once I graduate I'm moving to j-hole so that's getting here faster than I thought
    First, I love your siggy pic!!!

    Texas is still really great. I'm actually becoming really good friends with some of my coworkers at the clinic-- something that is TOTALLY new for me. I've often kept work and home very separate. But honestly, I'm spending more waking hours with some of them than my husband, so the lines get blurred. And of course, we're all very much interested in similar topics. My supervisor is cool as hell -- which is also something new for me. She recently (July 4th) hosted a "compassion fatigue" party at her house that included margaritas and eventually, she trashed the mixer and handed us shots. It was potluck style so most everyone was there, and we brought various goodies. DH went and ended up talking to my "work bestie" - M's partner -- who just happens to be a collegiate-turning-pro power lifter. So even though she is technically a girl, DH had way more in common with her than any of the other guys at the party and for the first time since we've been here-- I think he genuinely had a good time drinking and joking around with someone.

    As for the rest, DH got a 4.0 this past Spring, and maintained it during the 1st round of summer classes. He's so smart it's almost annoying. We've basically figured out that while he'll never be a fan of college, he should reframe our current situation to one where he gets to do and explore a lot of interests he's never had the time for before. So for example, for the last month, 2x's a week he's been taking a welding class at the local community college just for fun. Whatever works, right?

    Moving to Jville, huh? It'll be here before you know it! Any idea where ya'll be looking? There are actually some decent apartments/houses around there.

    www.SnarkyFit.com
  9. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    the_lepus's Avatar
    the_lepus is offline
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,707
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    First, I love your siggy pic!!!

    Texas is still really great. I'm actually becoming really good friends with some of my coworkers at the clinic-- something that is TOTALLY new for me. I've often kept work and home very separate. But honestly, I'm spending more waking hours with some of them than my husband, so the lines get blurred. And of course, we're all very much interested in similar topics. My supervisor is cool as hell -- which is also something new for me. She recently (July 4th) hosted a "compassion fatigue" party at her house that included margaritas and eventually, she trashed the mixer and handed us shots. It was potluck style so most everyone was there, and we brought various goodies. DH went and ended up talking to my "work bestie" - M's partner -- who just happens to be a collegiate-turning-pro power lifter. So even though she is technically a girl, DH had way more in common with her than any of the other guys at the party and for the first time since we've been here-- I think he genuinely had a good time drinking and joking around with someone.

    As for the rest, DH got a 4.0 this past Spring, and maintained it during the 1st round of summer classes. He's so smart it's almost annoying. We've basically figured out that while he'll never be a fan of college, he should reframe our current situation to one where he gets to do and explore a lot of interests he's never had the time for before. So for example, for the last month, 2x's a week he's been taking a welding class at the local community college just for fun. Whatever works, right?

    Moving to Jville, huh? It'll be here before you know it! Any idea where ya'll be looking? There are actually some decent apartments/houses around there.
    Thanks! I was going through my facebook pictures and was like "I remember this picture!" I miss those shoes though. They finally ripped completely and I had to throw them out

    That's great about making new friends at work! It's always more fun to work with people that you enjoy and can have fun with There's a couple people in my office who I really get along with well and it makes the days much more pleasant. That's funny about your DH and your boss's partner. I bet they talked for hours about being beefcakes and all that gym talk. Kudos to him on the 4.0! I bet he was proud of himself. Welding is a lot of fun but takes a lot of practice, so that should keep him occupied in his spare time!

    We've only been really looking at small houses to rent because we feel like we can get more for our money that way. I've only searched on militarybyowner.com and I've found a couple of good places on there, but it's too early for us to really contact anyone. If you know any good sites to use or any good communities, please let me know! We've looked in the Piney Green area and, while I think the houses are cute, I'm not so sure about the neighborhood.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •