Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Trina! :0)

1. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!

Trina! :0)

Advertisements
    I was wondering if I could ask you some advice about pumping?
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Of course! Lay it on me!! I will answer what I can.

3. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    YAY thank you!!

Ok since around 12 weeks my supply should be established right? At that time what would recommend as a good number of pumps per day? I'm going back to work soon and I'm trying to make it as easy as possible. I really want to make it to six months if at all possible. Also, can you tell me how you stored your milk? I'm running into some issues with not having enough bottles, and I really don't want to buy anymore if I don't have to. Are there other options for that?
  4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Yep 12 weeks is around when the milk supply is well established. At 12 weeks I moved to 4 hours between pumps during the day, and I gave myself a 6 hour block at night (when she would sleep 6, sometimes it was 5 hours). Before that I was pumping every 3-4 hours on the dot around the clock, so that extra few hours overnight was HEAVEN. If she sleeps longer you can give yourself another hour overnight but since the pump isn't as efficient as baby on breast is (even if you are a moo cow like I was ) you don't want to stretch too far because it's a lot easier to screw up your supply pumping than it is when you are feeding from the tap.

I only stored the milk I kept in the fridge for use that day in bottles. Otherwise I used these bags: Amazon.com: Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3): Health & Personal Care

I pumped into a bottle and then transferred to the bag so that I cold label the bag with the amount and date and stuff before I filled it. I never had a bag leak or break, so I think this brand is good quality. The best part is that they freeze FLAT. Saved me SO much room in my freezer. I started out pumping and then pouring the milk into little one ounce cubes to freeze, then transferring the cubes into freezer bags, but I couldn't get all of the extra air out of the bags so some of them got freezer burn, and they didn't store as well as the flat bags did. I wish I had switched to the bags sooner, so much easier!

5. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    I just started using those bags at the beginning of this month! I love them! Is safe to store the milk in a larger container until I can put it into bottles?
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by Punky77 View Post
    I just started using those bags at the beginning of this month! I love them! Is safe to store the milk in a larger container until I can put it into bottles?
    Yep, and you can even mix the milk if you want. Just make sure you add cool milk to cool milk, or cool milk to frozen milk. Don't add freshly expressed to cool or frozen, it need to be cooled first so that the fresh milk doesn't warm up the cooler milk and make it susceptible to bacteria. Warming the milk back up also breaks down the enzymes a little each time you do it, so you don't want to be essentially rewarming every time you add milk and breaking it down more each time. I had some 8 ounce bottles and 4 ounce bottles and I would use the 4 ounce ones to pump, stick them in the fridge, and then combine them together into the 8 ounce bottles next time it was time to pump and reuse the 4oz bottles. You can reuse the bottles straight from the fridge to pump into that day without cleaning it, too, since it was cold and the milk didn't have a chance to spoil. That saves washing bottles EVERY TIME, too, you can just wash them once at the end of the day. Same trick for pump parts... you can put them in the fridge after you pump and then take them out and use them again. Just wash them every night or first thing in the morning so they are good to go for that day.

7. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    OMG that is so helpful!! My hands are bleeding from washing bottles and parts so much!! That will help a ton! Should I put the pump parts in baggies or did you just set them in the fridge?
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I had a tupperware bowl that had a home on the top shelf and I put them in there.

9. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Awesome!! Thank you so much!! I think that's all my questions for now