Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Trina may I submit a query?

1. Banned
    Banned

Hello Trina may I submit a query?

Advertisements

I forget if I've asked this before.

What should someone with PCOS do in anticipation of TTC down the road? I'm talking years (at least five).

I imagine my diet would need to improve. I'd probably have to consult with an allergist.

Are there other concerns?

Thank you for your time of TTC!
  2. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post

I forget if I've asked this before.

What should someone with PCOS do in anticipation of TTC down the road? I'm talking years (at least five).

I imagine my diet would need to improve. I'd probably have to consult with an allergist.

Are there other concerns?

Thank you for your time of TTC!
    Not Trina, but I'll pipe in if tars okay,
    Chart. It's very helpful to see your window off opportunity. It certainly was an eye opener to me to see it on paper. I have PCOS as well.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    I imagine they have the sheets online.

That would help me discover if I am even ovulating, yeah?
  4. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    I imagine they have the sheets online.

That would help me discover if I am even ovulating, yeah?
    Yes it will. I use the Creighton charting method. They normally have someone in your area that teaches it and you can go to a hour or so class and get the supplies. What I like about it is the support. They keep in touch and you can discuss your charts. They have doctors available anytime also that can look at your charts and say xyz is happening. You are fine this is your window. Or you need xyz to help. Etc. I love it because when I have a "uh" moment I'm not on my own, I can call my gal and say hey I'm confused, or hey what's happening and she will look at it and work with me on it. And make it clear.
  5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

There is a lot you can do. Are you diagnosed already?

Regular OB/GYN exams especially when you have cysts are important. Make sure you are doing at least yearly (even though the guidelines say you don't have to go that often anymore if you are under 35) since you know you have it. Get any cysts looked at and monitored. If your PCOS causes insulin resistance or issues with your androgen levels you can see about Metformin to help. It can also aid in ovulation when you do start to TTC. I agree with charting to see what you are in for. Sign up on Fertility Friend or get the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Both great resources. If you ovulate regularly awesome, you may get lucky and your PCOS won't interfere. If you don't you can expect to be put on something like Clomid or Femara to help you ovulate once you are trying. if your cycles aren't regular now you can assume you are not regularly ovulating and there are supplements you can take to help. Cinnamon helps with insulin resistance, and there is a supplement called Vitex (or chaste berry) that will help regulate your cycles. It takes a few months but I know many woman who have regulated their cycles and eased the discomfort of PMS and their cycles with Vitex. Good stuff.

Really though, besides tracking your cycles, the best thing you can do is make sure that you are as interactive with your OB/GYN before you start trying so that any tests can be done prior to starting to TTC. Also, look into a reproductive endocrinologist if it is covered by your insurance once you are actively trying. They are much more well versed in PCOS than a regular OB. When you have something like PCOS that is responsible for infertility in a lot of women, doctors will be very proactive with it right from the get go. The more info you go in armed with the better off you are.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by El Trina Fantastica View Post
    There is a lot you can do. Are you diagnosed already?

Regular OB/GYN exams especially when you have cysts are important. Make sure you are doing at least yearly (even though the guidelines say you don't have to go that often anymore if you are under 35) since you know you have it. Get any cysts looked at and monitored. If your PCOS causes insulin resistance or issues with your androgen levels you can see about Metformin to help. It can also aid in ovulation when you do start to TTC. I agree with charting to see what you are in for. Sign up on Fertility Friend or get the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Both great resources. If you ovulate regularly awesome, you may get lucky and your PCOS won't interfere. If you don't you can expect to be put on something like Clomid or Femara to help you ovulate once you are trying. if your cycles aren't regular now you can assume you are not regularly ovulating and there are supplements you can take to help. Cinnamon helps with insulin resistance, and there is a supplement called Vitex (or chaste berry) that will help regulate your cycles. It takes a few months but I know many woman who have regulated their cycles and eased the discomfort of PMS and their cycles with Vitex. Good stuff.

Really though, besides tracking your cycles, the best thing you can do is make sure that you are as interactive with your OB/GYN before you start trying so that any tests can be done prior to starting to TTC. Also, look into a reproductive endocrinologist if it is covered by your insurance once you are actively trying. They are much more well versed in PCOS than a regular OB. When you have something like PCOS that is responsible for infertility in a lot of women, doctors will be very proactive with it right from the get go. The more info you go in armed with the better off you are.
    Okay I am going to pipe in and ask some questions...I hope you don't mind I used your thread!

Okay I was diagnosed a couple years ago and currently am only taking a BC pill and Spironolactone (as an androgen blocker in my case). However, my hormones are still way out of whack. How would they go about testing/diagnosing insulin resistance? I know that insulin issues can make other hormone issues worse.

Last time, my doc said she wanted to not use Metformin because she doesn't believe I have insulin resistance just by looking at me. I am thin-normal size, but I have had to work to keep it this way. Besides that, I have very typical PCOS...too many cysts to count on both ovaries, hormone imbalances, and no periods without medication.
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by katie17 View Post
    Okay I am going to pipe in and ask some questions...I hope you don't mind I used your thread!

Okay I was diagnosed a couple years ago and currently am only taking a BC pill and Spironolactone (as an androgen blocker in my case). However, my hormones are still way out of whack. How would they go about testing/diagnosing insulin resistance? I know that insulin issues can make other hormone issues worse.

Last time, my doc said she wanted to not use Metformin because she doesn't believe I have insulin resistance just by looking at me. I am thin-normal size, but I have had to work to keep it this way. Besides that, I have very typical PCOS...too many cysts to count on both ovaries, hormone imbalances, and no periods without medication.
    Is your doc an RE or an OBGYN? You can't tell by looking at someone if they have insulin resistance. They can do a fasting serum insulin and a c-peptide level to see if there is an imbalance. I don't think there is one guaranteed lab test that will say "Yes, insulin resistant" though. I think it's a combo of symptoms and test results that will point to it enough for treatment. I am not an expert on insulin resistance specifically though, but your best bet is to see an RE about it. They are soooooooooooooooo much more knowledgeable about PCOS and specifically things like IR than a regular OB.