Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. VinoVet...And other pup masters.

1. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3

Dr. VinoVet...And other pup masters.

Advertisements
    I need you!! (And anyone else who wants to answer)

I need your advice... so my pup is 6 weeks old. He was asleep at my feet, started whimpering, thought nothing of it. I felt him shake and after a few seconds I looked down and he was convulsing.. he was laying on his side but his arms and legs were stiffed out like he was walking... and he was convulsing, I said his name... nothing. I looked at his face and his eyes were open and sort of rolled back a little.. like a dumbass, I picked him up and he kept shaking... and then he came too and wiggle out of my grasp.. and peed on the carpet..

Do you think he had a seizure...? Like, emergency vet trip worthy seizure or :call the vet in the morning" type thing? Or just nothing??
  2. Senior Member
    Sounds like a seizure to me, but I've never been the caretaker of a dog who has them so I have no idea what you should do. If it were me I would bring him to the emergency vet, but hopefully Vino will know!

sorry about your pup, hope he's ok.
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    It is both impossible and illegal to diagnose anything without seeing it. (Plus...not a vet yet).

There are a few things that could be. But with the urination and the rolling eyes, it sounds very much like a seizure.

How long did this episode occur?

As of now, there is no point in taking him to an e-vet. It is over. All they will do is take some blood, give some fluids and watch him overnight. All will run up a bill, and none, at this point, will be very useful. With that said, if ANYTHING else seems off, take him in. You never know. Keep an eye on him tonight- he may be a little weak or disoriented for a bit. I would keep a video camera, a camera with video capabilities, a phone that can take video- something- in an easily accessible spot. If it happens again, video it, and bring that video PLUS the dog to a vet immediately after it happens (that way they can do tests to verify a seizure. You can do these tests now, but after 1 episode its vaguely useless.) Another episode may not happen for a day, a week, a month, 6 months...just keep it easily on hand.

A key point to seizures- they have a period before called an aura period. It is sometimes a few hours, sometimes a few minutes, and they are 'off'. They seem nervous, sick, shaky etc... If you notice this, get the video camera ready, because it may happen soon.

A seizure can have many causes. Has he eaten recently? 6 weeks old is VERY young to have a puppy. They shouldnt be separated from their mothers until MINIMUM 8 weeks, but recommended 12 weeks. Seizures can be caused by hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which is very common in young dogs, especially small breed young dogs. Especially young dogs who are away from their mothers and are not getting food as often as normal. He should be eating 4 small meals a day at that age. Get some food and water into him. And make sure he is eating 4 small meals, and back it down to 3 at 12-15 weeks or so. He should be on 3 small meals until he is 6-8 months old.

Just keep an eye on him. Keep him fed and hydrated. Keep a video camera nearby. And if anythign seems 'off', bring him to the vet. Keep an eye out for vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the stool or urine (yes, check his urine color. Should be clear to yellow. Not dark yellow, brown or red).
  4. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    One more thing to add, grab a notebook and notate anytime something like this happens. A vet can't diagnose anything if it only happens once and they don't witness it, but if you've got record of frequency and symptoms then they've got more of a chance and you'll be able to see a pattern.

5. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    It is both impossible and illegal to diagnose anything without seeing it. (Plus...not a vet yet).

There are a few things that could be. But with the urination and the rolling eyes, it sounds very much like a seizure.

How long did this episode occur?

As of now, there is no point in taking him to an e-vet. It is over. All they will do is take some blood, give some fluids and watch him overnight. All will run up a bill, and none, at this point, will be very useful. With that said, if ANYTHING else seems off, take him in. You never know. Keep an eye on him tonight- he may be a little weak or disoriented for a bit. I would keep a video camera, a camera with video capabilities, a phone that can take video- something- in an easily accessible spot. If it happens again, video it, and bring that video PLUS the dog to a vet immediately after it happens (that way they can do tests to verify a seizure. You can do these tests now, but after 1 episode its vaguely useless.) Another episode may not happen for a day, a week, a month, 6 months...just keep it easily on hand.

A key point to seizures- they have a period before called an aura period. It is sometimes a few hours, sometimes a few minutes, and they are 'off'. They seem nervous, sick, shaky etc... If you notice this, get the video camera ready, because it may happen soon.

A seizure can have many causes. Has he eaten recently? 6 weeks old is VERY young to have a puppy. They shouldnt be separated from their mothers until MINIMUM 8 weeks, but recommended 12 weeks. Seizures can be caused by hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which is very common in young dogs, especially small breed young dogs. Especially young dogs who are away from their mothers and are not getting food as often as normal. He should be eating 4 small meals a day at that age. Get some food and water into him. And make sure he is eating 4 small meals, and back it down to 3 at 12-15 weeks or so. He should be on 3 small meals until he is 6-8 months old.

Just keep an eye on him. Keep him fed and hydrated. Keep a video camera nearby. And if anythign seems 'off', bring him to the vet. Keep an eye out for vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the stool or urine (yes, check his urine color. Should be clear to yellow. Not dark yellow, brown or red).
    Thank you so much, yes, the SPCA is being reported by the vet. They told me he was 8 weeks when I got him.. he was only 5.. and they didn't give him he shots they claimed to have given him. He JUST got off anti-biotics today...

I feel so horrible.. I'm watching him like a hawk though, and I've got my phone ready. And that "period before" makes sense.. he was walking a little off (sort of like, sideways) a few hours ago.. and he was like, hiding in weird places... like something was about to happen and he didn't know what. His urine actually was off colored right after that episode, it was almost brown it was so dark.
  6. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2BmrsG View Post
    One more thing to add, grab a notebook and notate anytime something like this happens. A vet can't diagnose anything if it only happens once and they don't witness it, but if you've got record of frequency and symptoms then they've got more of a chance and you'll be able to see a pattern.
    Good idea, thank you so much
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2BmrsG View Post

If it happens again and a vet tells you its seizures (and you then have to put the dog on seizure meds like potassium bromide or phenobarbitol...holy shit I cant believe I remember this shiz!), keeping a journal is something your vet will want you to do to see if the drugs are working, if they need to up the dose, if the dog is refractory to the drugs etc...
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawWoman. View Post
    Thank you so much, yes, the SPCA is being reported by the vet. They told me he was 8 weeks when I got him.. he was only 5.. and they didn't give him he shots they claimed to have given him. He JUST got off anti-biotics today...

I feel so horrible.. I'm watching him like a hawk though, and I've got my phone ready. And that "period before" makes sense.. he was walking a little off (sort of like, sideways) a few hours ago.. and he was like, hiding in weird places... like something was about to happen and he didn't know what. His urine actually was off colored right after that episode, it was almost brown it was so dark.
    It is dark because he has myoglobinuria. In a seizure they dont get enough oxygen to their muscles, so they get muscle damage. The damaged muscle releases enzymes and proteins, including myoglobin. It comes out in the urine and is coffee colored. Since you have seen this, make sure he gets lots of water. It will help keep his kidneys healthy and remove the myoglobin in his system.

9. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3

If it happens again and a vet tells you its seizures (and you then have to put the dog on seizure meds like potassium bromide or phenobarbitol...holy shit I cant believe I remember this shiz!), keeping a journal is something your vet will want you to do to see if the drugs are working, if they need to up the dose, if the dog is refractory to the drugs etc...
    I'm definitely going to grab a journal and keep a phone handy.. I just want him to get help if he needs it.. I already feel badly because he's sooo young! Thank you, though!
  10. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    It is dark because he has myoglobinuria. In a seizure they dont get enough oxygen to their muscles, so they get muscle damage. The damaged muscle releases enzymes and proteins, including myoglobin. It comes out in the urine and is coffee colored. Since you have seen this, make sure he gets lots of water. It will help keep his kidneys healthy and remove the myoglobin in his system.

I'm going to wake his butt up right now and make him drink and eat a little...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast