Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: YO! VinoVet!

1. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries

YO! VinoVet!

Advertisements
    So my cousin's dog had puppies like 2-3 weeks ago and her dog is spending the night at the vet because of the following:

She developed mastetis (not sure if I spelled that right) and so I am bottle feeding the pups because they didn't want her to nurse. But then it opened up and there was blood and pus leaking from the opening. THEN I told them her urine was dark and she had a jelly like substance come out of her volva. They said it might be an infection in her uterus. They kept her over night for IV fluids and antibiotics. They are susposed to do an x-ray tomorrow to determine if the uterus is a closed or open infection and then based on that they will decide if the uterus needs to be removed. Does that sound logical to you?
    Is there anything I should tell her to be asking??? I think it's been handled pretty decently but she's a red boston terrier and they spent a lot of money and they really love their dogs like family so I want to make sure her dog is getting the best care and they don't lose her.

2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    It sounds like she had mastitis, which means inflammation (99% likely due to infection) of the mammary glands. If she is having dark urine, blood, and pus coming out of her vulva, I am (and it sounds like the vets with her agree), she has a pyometra (infection of the uterus). VERYYYYY common in non-spayed dogs. Much more common in dogs that have had puppies before. MUCH MUCH more common in dogs that have just had puppies.

There is a high chance that she will need her uterus removed, as they are usually raging infections, and trying to deal with them medically vs surgically can be a nightmare, and can result in many other problems (blood infections, seeding of the infection into other organs like the kidney etc..). From what you said, the vets are doing the right thing, but I would tell you fam to be prepared to lose the uterus to save the dog.

Pyo can be scary, but it looks like they caught it, and its highly treatable (with surgery) without further complications, so this is good news that they caught it.
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    It sounds like she had mastitis, which means inflammation (99% likely due to infection) of the mammary glands. If she is having dark urine, blood, and pus coming out of her vulva, I am (and it sounds like the vets with her agree), she has a pyometra (infection of the uterus). VERYYYYY common in non-spayed dogs. Much more common in dogs that have had puppies before. MUCH MUCH more common in dogs that have just had puppies.

There is a high chance that she will need her uterus removed, as they are usually raging infections, and trying to deal with them medically vs surgically can be a nightmare, and can result in many other problems (blood infections, seeding of the infection into other organs like the kidney etc..). From what you said, the vets are doing the right thing, but I would tell you fam to be prepared to lose the uterus to save the dog.

Pyo can be scary, but it looks like they caught it, and its highly treatable (with surgery) without further complications, so this is good news that they caught it.
    Yep that's what I told her as well just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything! Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out, I think they'd be ok with losing the uterus but it sucks because this is her first litter...they love their dogs though (like kids) so I'm gonna let her know to air on the side of caution and don't hesitate with the surgery.