Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: EELO HELP!!! (and anyone else that would like to take a look)

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

EELO HELP!!! (and anyone else that would like to take a look)

Advertisements
    Eelo you are the epitomy of smartness when it comes to this kind of thing...so I would really really love some input!!!!!

I am applying for a summer tutoring program (its intervention based...we will be training and learning more about Writer's Workshop-which I already use, Reader's Workshop-which I have never heard of and literacy based math-which I have heard of but haven't used)

Well they want me to fill out 4 questions to go along with my application...and I am really bad with words...and expressing how I really feel...sometimes I think I sounds stupid....here are the questions and my answers....what do you think? What should I change? I am open for ANY suggestions....

1. Why do you want to teach in the Step Up to Summer Learning program this summer?

I am interested in this program for several different reasons. The first of which is just getting the chance to become more familiar with the Blue Valley Curriculum. Second I am always looking for opportunities to enhance myself as a classroom teacher. I feel confident in my abilities to teacher Writers Workshop, but I am interested in learning about Readers Workshop and literacy based math. I am getting familiar with intervention strategies and I see this program and the trainings as a way to become more familiar and even implement it in my own classroom during the year. As a first year teacher I see this as an opportunity not only to help students who are struggling, but as to expand my personal knowledge and teaching techniques.

2. As you have noticed, the format for this intervention program has changed this year with specific training and expectations for literacy and math instruction. What are your thoughts related to this format?

I am not personally aware of the previous format for the summer program, but I have talked with some of my colleagues about how it was done in the past. I am very much a proponent of the intervention program. I think that when students are struggling in the classroom and fail to understand a concept the first time, it’s important to introduce an alternate teaching strategy. I also think having consistency among all the teachers is beneficial. As teachers we can learn from each other and support one another. The trainings before the summer program starts will also be beneficial, it will provide a framework for the summer program and make sure that we have all the knowledge and materials we need to best help the students. I also really like that there is a time for reflection, we can not be successful if we do not look back at what worked and did not work, and change it for the next time.

3. Can you fully commit to attending the following sessions? (yes or no is adequate unless further explanation is needed)
    • Training session on Saturday, May 2 from 8:30-12:00
    • Training session on Saturday, May 30 from 8:30-12:00
    • Teaching days June 8-25 (Monday through Thursday from 8:00-12:00)
    • Additional professional development on June 10, June 17, and June 24 from 11:45-12:45

Yes I will be able to attend all sessions
    4. Is there anything else you would like us to know about you that is not found on your application or resume?

I have had experience working with various grade levels of children. I ran the summer program at Little People’s Place, where I implemented multi-level tutoring. As a team we decided that students tend to lose some of what they learned over the summer so incorporating a study session time was important to keep them from losing as much.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherNichole View Post
    Eelo you are the epitomy of smartness when it comes to this kind of thing...so I would really really love some input!!!!!

I am applying for a summer tutoring program (its intervention based...we will be training and learning more about Writer's Workshop-which I already use, Reader's Workshop-which I have never heard of and literacy based math-which I have heard of but haven't used)

Well they want me to fill out 4 questions to go along with my application...and I am really bad with words...and expressing how I really feel...sometimes I think I sounds stupid....here are the questions and my answers....what do you think? What should I change? I am open for ANY suggestions....

1. Why do you want to teach in the Step Up to Summer Learning program this summer?

I am interested in this program for several different reasons. The first of which is just getting the chance to become more familiar with the Blue Valley Curriculum. Second(,) I am always looking for opportunities to enhance myself as a classroom teacher. I feel confident in my abilities to teacher (teach?) Writers Workshop, but I am interested in learning about Readers Workshop and literacy(-)based math. I am getting familiar with intervention strategies and I see this program and the trainings as a way to become more familiar and even implement it in my own classroom during the year. As a first year teacher I see this as an opportunity not only to help students who are struggling, but as to expand my personal knowledge and teaching techniques.

2. As you have noticed, the format for this intervention program has changed this year with specific training and expectations for literacy and math instruction. What are your thoughts related to this format?

I am not personally aware of the previous format for the summer program, but I have talked with some of my colleagues about how it was done in the past. I am very much a proponent of the intervention program. I think that when students are struggling in the classroom and fail to understand a concept the first time, it’s important to introduce an alternate teaching strategy. I also think having consistency among all the teachers is beneficial. As teachers we can learn from each other and support one another. The trainings (should be singular - training, or lessons, or something) before the summer program starts will also be beneficial, it will provide a framework for the summer program and make sure that we have all the knowledge and materials we need to best help the students. I also really like that there is a time for reflection, (; is the proper grammar) we can not be successful if we do not look back at what worked and did not work, and change it for the next time.

3. Can you fully commit to attending the following sessions? (yes or no is adequate unless further explanation is needed)
    • Additional professional development on June 10, June 17, and June 24 from 11:45-12:45

4. Is there anything else you would like us to know about you that is not found on your application or resume?

I have had experience working with various grade levels of children. I ran the summer program at Little People’s Place, where I implemented multi-level tutoring. As a team we decided that students tend to lose some of what they learned over the summer so incorporating a study session time was important to keep them from losing as much.
    I made small grammatical changes, just because personally, in a teacher's application, I'd want to see them written correctly, but that's me being anal. I know they say on job applications a lot of people will turn applicants away for it. Otherwise, it looks good to me.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijus View Post
    I made small grammatical changes, just because personally, in a teacher's application, I'd want to see them written correctly, but that's me being anal. I know they say on job applications a lot of people will turn applicants away for it. Otherwise, it looks good to me.
    Thanks!!! I wrote it really fast and haven't had a chance to look back over it!!! I definitely do that before I turn ANYTHING in...because that is one of my biggest pet peeves Thanks for doing it for me!!!!
  4. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    #1: talk a little more about how it helps the students.

i would mention differentiated instruction, particularly in question #2.

take out the extra words like "just" and "even"

good answer for #4. but change "as much" at the very end.

sidenote: the school where i started did Reader's workshop and LOVED it.
    good luck!
  5. Senior Member
    The militaryonesource.com site has the free books (recreation/library) link. Right now they have a free book on how to land a good teaching job. Just thought I'd mention it.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Here, try this:

I wish to become more familiar with the Blue Valley Curriculum because I believe it will enhance my skills as a classroom teacher. I am confident in my ability to teach Writers Workshop, but I am interested in learning about Readers Workshop and literacy based math. As I familiarize myself with intervention strategies and differentiated learning, I see this program and the training as a way to become more flexible with a variety of learning strategies to implement in my classroom during the year. As a new teacher, this is an opportunity not only to help students who are struggling, but to expand my personal knowledge and add to my ever-growing toolbox of teaching techniques.

Since I am unfamiliar with the previous program, I have no bias toward or against it. I believe very strongly in intervention programs because when students struggle in the classroom and fail to understand a concept the first time, it’s important to introduce an alternate teaching strategy that allows the student to experience success as soon as possible. I advocate consistency among teachers; the best educators learn from each other as they work toward a common goal of student success. The training sessions leading to the summer program will provide a framework to ensure that we have all the knowledge and materials we need to best help the students. I see a great deal of value in the time for reflection; we can not be successful if we do not look back at what worked and did not work, and change it for the next time. (In this section, you could also address things like timelines, pacing guides, successful completion before moving on to the next step, or other things they might be looking for in their definition of 'specific goals.'

I have experience working with various grade levels of children. I ran the summer program at Little People’s Place, where I implemented multi-level tutoring as both an enrichment activity and as a remedial program. As a team we found that students, especially those who struggle, frequently lose some of what they learned over the summer, so incorporating a study session time proved valuable to keep them on track and ready to move forward in their next grade level. (eeeeehhhhh, I want to wordsmith that part so it doesn't sound like they're losing their summer lessons, iI think we want it to sound like the summer break is what facilitates the gap in learning)

Also- does the curriculum incorporate any games or physical activity? In addition to hands-on stuff, things like games, songs, and physical movement (muscle memory) are very helpful in accomodating different learning styles. How much space do you have for these answers?
    Last edited by eelo; 04-15-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typos, corrections, additions
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Eelo...can I kiss you?
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherNichole View Post
    Eelo...can I kiss you?
    Not until we figure out what else will go in paragraph 2. Business first, then pleasure.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Not until we figure out what else will go in paragraph 2. Business first, then pleasure.
    Its all taken care of my love!