Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: EELO!!

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

EELO!!

Advertisements
    I need you....like the deserts need the rain

Elaine said you gave her some good info on Norfolk...I'm really hoping its because you are currently living there.....
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I live in Virginia Beach, suburb of Norfolk. Whad kinds of things do you want to know?
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I actually like Norfolk, but there are certain parts of town I'd stick with (and avoid some others).

It is a city, as opposed to Chesapeake/VB being suburban. The older homes are freakin gorgeous: huge brick structures with hardwood floors and leaded stained-glass windows. Amazing.

I think people form a negative opinion because they are 'sent' here on orders and therefore are foreced to be here and someone, somewhere along the line told them it sucks, therefore it sucks. If you're a big theater/performance fan (specifically Broadway plays) then it's a little sparse, and we have a few art museums but nothing like MOMA or the Art Institute of Chicago. The trick is to find the little things- the Civil War cemetery on the grounds of Potsmouth Naval Hospital, the tiny little memorial park from the influenza epidemic of 1918, the tiny little family plots, the historical houses (Thoroughgood House, Francis Land House), the Coast Guard museum on the oceanfront, the little family-owned restaurants, the access to the Eastern Shore and all the antiquing you can do up there, driving down to the Outer Banks on a whim, seeing the wild horses in southern Virginia Beach and Corolla NC, going strawberry picking in May, experiencing the Azalea Festival in April, the amazing Botanical Gardens, learning that First Landing State Park in VB really IS where it all began, the Civil Rights history of the Norfolk 17........

.....my guess is that most of the people who will tell you that Norfolk sucks couldn't tell you the first thing about the majority of the stuff I mentioned.
    This is one of her responses!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    I live in Virginia Beach, suburb of Norfolk. Whad kinds of things do you want to know?
    school stuff...licensing...schools to apply at all that good stuff!!!

My dream will come true if I get to meet the god that is EELO
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherNichole View Post

What carrier is he going to be on?
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherNichole View Post

Of course I'm partial to VaBeach schools, but Chesapeake runs a very close second. VB schools have the best benefits package, but Chesapeake isn't that much different especially if you won't need medical coverage.

Virginia recognizes licensure from other states so you should be fine. Salaries are adequate for this area (starting right around $40K); if you're married and get medical coverage you won't have to deduct insurance unless you want to se your own as a primary ad TriCare as a secondary. Some of the elementary schools are on year-round schedules, but most of them are the standard 10-month. The division offers a TON of opportunities to get your required inservice training for free, and they reimburse a substantial amount for college courses.

VB schools have about 4 more days than other schools in the area. We didn't get Columbus Day off but other cities did.

VB schools website is: http://www.vbschools.com/index.asp
    Chesapeake is: http://www.cps.k12.va.us/ - they tend not to advertise teaching openings; you might have to actually contact their personnel department and/or send a resume.

My opinion of other local school systems- Norfolk has done a great job in some schools, and their 'struggling' schools have show some of the best improvement in the country; they've won several awards. However, they are definitely 'struggling' schools. The Portsmouth schools are hard to work in; the city doesn't get a lot of tax revenue and it shows in their schools.

There are two basic geographic locations here: the Peninsula and Southside, and in my opinion, it's best to live and work on one side or the other, and not try to commute through the tunnels. The Peninsula is Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg, Yorktown. people who live up there (jlbecker, docswife, coastiesgirl) can give you better info for those cities.

Southside is Norfolk, Portsmouth (considered the cities) Va Beach, Chesapeake and Suffolk (considered the suburbs, but all three are actually cities in themselves, just very large geographically and all three with urban and rural areas).

We usually have a HUGE turnover in teachers every year because so many military spouses teach. The military member gets orders and *poof* there's gona be an opening. I'd say we hire about 300 new teachers every year.