Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: need easy chicken & dumplings recipe

1. Yo siempre estaré a su princesa
    Yo siempre estaré a su princesa
    Weekly Activity
    1.69%

need easy chicken & dumplings recipe

I do not eat it.. But DH loves it and his momma always cook it for him when we are home.. I wriggled my way out of this the last 3 years lol..
    but today he came home with a new slow cooker and all we need for chicken & dumplings.. so I guess this time there is no way out..
    I googled and found some recipes but would like how you guys make it..
  2. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...
    Weekly Activity
    1.69%

Chicken And Dumplings « Crock Pot Girls

These "crockpot girls" are all the rage. Since he bought you a new crockpot check out the rest of the website too!

I don't use a crockpot so ?. .
  3. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    1.69%
    This is the recipe I use for chicken & dumplings, and it is seriously the BEST! The dumplings are homemade, but I have cheated once or twice and used canned biscuits for the dumplings instead of making them. They're just as good, because the sauce is the real star of this recipe.

Chicken and Buttermilk Chive Dumplings « bakin' and eggs
  4. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Weekly Activity
    195.21%
    Is he used to small, noodlish dumplings (like at Cracker Barrel) or big fluffy dumplings?

I make big, fluffy awesome dumplings but in our house, sometimes there is conflict because DH is used to the other kind . . . . (and don't EVER get me started on pancakes.)

Anyway, I'm at the office right now, but if you want big, fluffy dumplings, I'll grab the recipe when I get home. Caveat: I don't use a Crock Pot - it would work, but that's not the way I learned.
  5. Yo siempre estaré a su princesa
    Weekly Activity
    1.69%
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Is he used to small, noodlish dumplings (like at Cracker Barrel) or big fluffy dumplings?

I make big, fluffy awesome dumplings but in our house, sometimes there is conflict because DH is used to the other kind . . . . (and don't EVER get me started on pancakes.)

Anyway, I'm at the office right now, but if you want big, fluffy dumplings, I'll grab the recipe when I get home. Caveat: I don't use a Crock Pot - it would work, but that's not the way I learned.
    yeah his mother does the big once.. could you send it to me when you have the time
    that would be really nice
  6. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Weekly Activity
    21.04%
    I use the recipe on the box of Bisquick for my dumplings. It's easy and they are yummy.
  7. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Weekly Activity
    195.21%
    Sorry - every time I went to post this last night, I got sidetracked.

On the chicken side of things, I saute aromatics (celery, onion, carrots, etc.) until soft, brown the chicken, cover with water and cook until the chicken is tender. (That part could absolutely be done in a Crockpot.)

Before I start the dumplings, if necessary I debone and shred the chicken, and then put it in the cooking container with at least enough liquid to well cover the meat.

If you are going to try the Crockpot, I would make absolutely certain the broth is simmering nicely before adding the dumplings. I use the stovepot, and have the broth simmering (medium heat.)

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons shortening
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking POWDER
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) well in a large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in milk until fully incorporated - don't overmix. Drop by spoonfuls into the hot mixture. (Betty Crocker says to place on meat or veggies, not the broth, but I just fill the pot). Cook uncovered for ten minutes. Place lid on pot and cook for an additional ten minutes.

The recipe can easily be doubled (which we often do here.) I like this one because it tends to make the broth a nice thick gravy.

My biggest problems have been not having enough liquid, having the heat too high (because you can't stir while the dumplings are cooking), and using old baking powder (nothing rose and I got stodgy lumps.)

Hope that helps - let me know if you have questions.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Weekly Activity
    160.86%
    mmmm....i might have to try this!! never had chicken and dumplings but sounds yummy!!! hehe
  9. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    173.44%

So I keep smelling chicken and dumplings cooking.

Its alll your fault. Because I KNOW my dh is making pancakes, not chicken and dumplings
  10. Yo siempre estaré a su princesa
    Weekly Activity
    1.69%
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Sorry - every time I went to post this last night, I got sidetracked.

On the chicken side of things, I saute aromatics (celery, onion, carrots, etc.) until soft, brown the chicken, cover with water and cook until the chicken is tender. (That part could absolutely be done in a Crockpot.)

Before I start the dumplings, if necessary I debone and shred the chicken, and then put it in the cooking container with at least enough liquid to well cover the meat.

If you are going to try the Crockpot, I would make absolutely certain the broth is simmering nicely before adding the dumplings. I use the stovepot, and have the broth simmering (medium heat.)

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons shortening
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking POWDER
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) well in a large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in milk until fully incorporated - don't overmix. Drop by spoonfuls into the hot mixture. (Betty Crocker says to place on meat or veggies, not the broth, but I just fill the pot). Cook uncovered for ten minutes. Place lid on pot and cook for an additional ten minutes.

The recipe can easily be doubled (which we often do here.) I like this one because it tends to make the broth a nice thick gravy.

My biggest problems have been not having enough liquid, having the heat too high (because you can't stir while the dumplings are cooking), and using old baking powder (nothing rose and I got stodgy lumps.)

Hope that helps - let me know if you have questions.
    it isnt to late.. we do it tomorrow we went out for dinner tonight
    so tomorrow i have enough time to try it
    when i have a question i'll let ya know.. thanks