Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those Of You That Met Your SO Online...

1. Senior Member

Question Those Of You That Met Your SO Online...

Advertisements
    I was wondering... How did you handle it initially with your parents/family?

Here's my situation: Jon and I will have been "together" for almost two months when we finally meet in person. Before that, I've talked to him almost every night for hours, several of his men, his friends, and will have spoken to his parents before and during his deployment. He's been very, honest with me, even about such things as the problems he's faced though deployments and etc. Next week, he is flying in, I will meet him at the airport, and then we are probably going to a dinner show... and then other Orlando touristy stuff as the weekend progresses... completely PUBLIC stuff.

I've not told my mom much about him, simply because I want to make sure things are going to go OK, but I've told her a few things (because I am excited).
    So then, I get this message last night which consisted basically of "I really don't like you meeting people online, there are other ways to do it, it's not safe, and I have HUGE doubts about "this person."

I know I shouldn't let it affect me, and should just go meet him and be safe/smart about it... but I just... don't know how to handle stuff like that with the non-internet educated parental units.
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Let's just say that my parents didn't know we met online until like 2 years after we got married...LOL!!!

We told them and almost everyone that Bryan and I met in Borders. That was PARTIALLY true since we did meet there in person.

My parents "fell in love" with Bryan from the start!!!

3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I just told them where we met in person (Chilis)... My mom is real old school so if she knew I met Wes online she'd go through the roof...
  4. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    What I would suggest is that you don't go alone to meet him!!! I brought my best-friend along when I met Bryan in person.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    What I would suggest is that you don't go alone to meet him!!! I brought my best-friend along when I met Bryan in person.
    Yeah, def don't go alone and make sure it's a public place!
  6. Senior Member
    Yea, that's kind of the spooky thing... I didn't even tell her I met Jon online... she either just had a feeling an "assumed" (she's really good like that, my last DB, she knew in like 2 seconds he wasn't right)...

I wasn't (and still am not) going to let him meet her for a long while... lol.

But, now that she's kind of got me in the corner, I don't want to lie about it and then come back and say "well, actually... lol.
  7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    How old are you?!
  8. Senior Member
    I'm 21. I just got lucky in the "over protective" department. I love them, but gosh sometimes...
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    HAHA!!! My parents were over-proctective too! I STILL had a curfew EVEN AFTER I was engaged....I was 20!
  10. Senior Member
    lol... Yea, I don't even live at home anymore... but... what can I say these are people who don't buy anything online at all, can barely send email, and think that all people online belong on "To Catch A Predator" lol.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast