Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsure and Confused

1. Stargazer5506

Unsure and Confused

Advertisements
    Hello everyone!

My name is Mary and I am from Pittsburgh, PA. My boyfriend and I have been together for a little over a year, but have been friends since our freshman year of high school. For years, I've always thought that we were "meant to be," I had the butterflies in my stomach everytime I saw him, I was in love with him before he ever knew. He decided to join the Marines as an Officer after he graduated from college, and we just found out the date for him to leave for VA-- Sept 23rd. He will be gone for 10 weeks, then 6 months after that for the schooling.

I am trying my hardest to be "okay" with the idea that he is leaving, and we may never get back to the way we are now. Of course that scares me, and him. We love each other very much, and the distance is going to be difficult for the both of us. VA isn't far from PA at all, however we are worried about seeing each other and keeping our relationship.

I am here to find other women to talk to that have been in this situation before. I am not a spouse or a family member, and its hard for me to find support for the girlfriend.

I am already having a hard time with the idea of him being gone, I don't want to end our relationship because of the distance.....does anyone have any advice, or any idea where I can find information on being a military girlfriend.

Does anyone have any advice??
  2. Lela
    There are a lot of military girlfriends and fiances on here. I have found this site to be very helpful and everyone is so nice. My fiance and I won't be getting married until he gets back from Iraq so I was in the same boat. It will work out if you guys want it to... it will just take a little more effort.
  3. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    Stay strong. You have all of here to lean on

Thank you for my siggy Stacey!
    He's home from Iraq!
  4. who will drive my soul?
    who will drive my soul?
    good luck, sweetie. stay strong. lots of us on here are gf's, fiances, or non-gf's ( you know, the almost-gf's!). i'm sure you'll find wonderful support on here!!!
    www.acoan.scentsy.us
    www.andreacoan.blogspot.com
  5. C'swife
    You'll have a lot of support, with him being in the military it's true he will be gone a lot, my husband and I have been apart almost 2 years, only seeing each other 2 months out of those years. You just have to have faith your relationship is strong enough, and always remember that communication is key. Best wishes, if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help you out, otherwise the ladies here are a great resource for support and information, so welcome, and jump right in!
  6. Senior Member
    distance is hard, but if you truley love someone, its not a problem and its all worth it in the end. you will get used to it, because you have no other choice, but to. welcome to SOS, you came to the right place.
    Gotta look this life in the eye.
  7. Senior Member
    Yes, the distance sucks, but it can't affect your relationship if your don't let it. Remember that you guys love each other and talk as much as possible. We're here for you-we've all been through it, and I think most of us are dealing with a deployment, TDY or distance barrier of some sort right now. Try to stay strong!!! Keep in mind it's just as hard for him as it is for you!!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarine View Post
    distance is hard, but if you truley love someone, its not a problem and its all worth it in the end. you will get used to it, because you have no other choice, but to. welcome to SOS, you came to the right place.

and welcome!

9. Stay off the grass
    Stay off the grass
    DB just got back from his 6 months of training. I was also afraid of a change in our relationship but we have been together a week now and it only took us a couple of hours to snap back into "us" mode. The separation also brought us closer. I supported him while at the same time still living life (not always enjoying it) and that meant a lot to him. I know it seems old fashioned but the quote "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" really reigns true in situations such as these. Another quote that I think many of us here love is "And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation." I sent this to DB while he was at Basic and he passed it around to the other guys, and he still has the quote in his wallet.

I am one of the many "just girlfriends" so if you have any questions or just want to vent you can PM me.
  10. loveing life <3
    loveing life <3
    Blog Entries
    you'll be fine, its alot to take in and deal with but if you love ant trust eachother you'll get through it and feel free to pm me for support or anything else you may need and this is a great site and hase helped me alot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast