Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Engagement and wedding..

1. Regular Member

Engagement and wedding..

Advertisements
    So poor DB sucks at keeping secrets (I think it's because he gets too excited.. cute but sometimes I would like a secret lol anyways). Before he came to see me last time he had bought my engagement ring and asked my mom and showed her a pic of the ring etc. It was getting resized while he was here or I wouldn't have been surprised if he would have asked me because he was so excited. I am going to meet his family in a few months with him as long as leave works out and everything. Gonna do 2 weeks split up between 3 states with me, him, and my 4 year old (who if I can mention has never been on a plane so this should be interesting). He is planning on proposing to me when we go to his parents house. I'm very excited about getting engaged to him. We were talking a few nights ago because I'm suppose to go see him towards the end of the year and he said what if we just get married then (our original plan was a year after the engagement do the big wedding/honeymoon thing (he wants this I want a small wedding)) and then do the big ceremony/ honeymoon like originally planned. I like the idea of doing it sooner and the small ceremony thing but honestly don't see the point of the big wedding if we are already married approx. 6 months prior. My mom already knows our plans but he hasn't told his mom (he has told his dad) our plans yet but he is planning to tonight! She wanted us to wait 5 years then move in together then think of engagement so I'm not looking forward to hearing what she has to say about this! She's a nice woman but she likes to give her opinion and gets upset if he doesn't take her opinion... so this should be interesting! sorry I don't really know what this is guess I kinda just had to get my thoughts out on "paper" lol. I'm excited but I guess honestly slightly nervous! I've always lived closed to my family so this will be moving far from them which will be a big change in and of itself.
  2. Senior Member
    Congrats! I hope things work out with your future MIL. Have you ever been to Alaska before? My DB is stationed at JBER and based on your past posts (about a lot of training and possible deployment) I think they might be in the same brigade/battalion/whatever (I really don't know the unit names or what they correspond to).
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    Congrats! I hope things work out with your future MIL. Have you ever been to Alaska before? My DB is stationed at JBER and based on your past posts (about a lot of training and possible deployment) I think they might be in the same brigade/battalion/whatever (I really don't know the unit names or what they correspond to).
    Thanks! I def hope things go well with her! I went to Alaska on a cruise when I was younger just got off skype with DB and we were talking about all the difference with Alaska (being light for so many hours in summer and dark for so many in winter and how its cold for so many months... different then here in NC). He's not at JBER he's at Ft. Wainwright. I actually went to Anchorage when I got ready to go on my cruise in Alaska. I am glad that I have kinda became close with one of his buddies' wife so atleast I will have someone to hang out with up there! Just gonna be interesting and different for my son... he's 4 and always had family near but I know he will do fine . My Db and him get along so well thankfully.. in fact quick funny story DB had got him a camo hat for Christmas... he put it on today and said look mom I'm Nathan (DB). He's silly but he knew that would make me smile! Anyways sorry for the long post its 2:30 AM and just got off skype with DB so I'm like half awake writing this! lol
  4. Senior Member
    Yeah it's definitely cold. I'm from CA and I'd never experienced weather below mid-20s so my first time in single digits was an experience for sure - I thought my ears were going to fall off. Being from NC you're probably a bit better prepared than me but damn it's cold haha. Start stocking up on all of the winter gear that's on clearance now because it's out of season! It will definitely be an adventure though; are you an outdoorsy type?

Also for me personally one of the biggest things about moving up there would be driving on snow and ice. I had to do it once or twice while I was up there because DB was on oxy after oral surgery and it was not fun. Granted, I'm a nervous driver and we spun across the road into a snowbank in my first crash the day before... Hopefully you have some experience driving in winter conditions so you can easily and safely get around once you're up there! And maybe invest in 4WD lol.
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    You're getting married?

6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Well it's exciting to know you're getting engaged!

Just a little advice when it comes to future MIL, if she's super opinionated now it's not going to go away. I would take the time while you're visiting to get to know her and maybe find some sort of kinship with her if you can (something you both enjoy/have in common) to begin building a relationship with her. It'll make your life MUCH easier in the future if you're able to do that now. I wish someone had told me that 7 years ago

7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    Yeah it's definitely cold. I'm from CA and I'd never experienced weather below mid-20s so my first time in single digits was an experience for sure - I thought my ears were going to fall off. Being from NC you're probably a bit better prepared than me but damn it's cold haha. Start stocking up on all of the winter gear that's on clearance now because it's out of season! It will definitely be an adventure though; are you an outdoorsy type?

Also for me personally one of the biggest things about moving up there would be driving on snow and ice. I had to do it once or twice while I was up there because DB was on oxy after oral surgery and it was not fun. Granted, I'm a nervous driver and we spun across the road into a snowbank in my first crash the day before... Hopefully you have some experience driving in winter conditions so you can easily and safely get around once you're up there! And maybe invest in 4WD lol.
    Ha good idea to stock up on winter gear while its on clearance now! Where I am in NC we get snow maybe twice a year and never single digits.. which as you know Alaska gets negatives! I agree about driving on snow/ice! I've done it here in Nc but I know it's different up there and I'll be in his truck as we wont be bringing my car up since he is suppose to PCS in the next year or so after we get married. DB has told me tons of stories of almost accidents he's seen from the winter mess up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    You're getting married?

Yes! I'm excited... no one gets me like he does! I'm completely myself around him (the funny/silly side that no one else sees he gets to see etc). And of course for that reason and so many more I know its the right thing for us! He told his dad tonight and he's very excited for us and said he knew it was coming lol.

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    Well it's exciting to know you're getting engaged!

Just a little advice when it comes to future MIL, if she's super opinionated now it's not going to go away. I would take the time while you're visiting to get to know her and maybe find some sort of kinship with her if you can (something you both enjoy/have in common) to begin building a relationship with her. It'll make your life MUCH easier in the future if you're able to do that now. I wish someone had told me that 7 years ago
    Awww thanks for the heads up on that! We will only be in his home state with his parents for a few days (in which they are babysitting my son one night so we can have a date night (yeah should be interesting)) but anyways DB says I'm a lot like her in what I like. I do know we have a few things in common like cake decorating she did that for like 15 years I think DB said and I took classes when I was in high school for it and just got a new job in which one of my jobs is gonna be to teach cake decorating classes! So I'm sure we will do plenty of talking about that! His mom and him have never been close but I still feel a good relationship with her like you said will be better in the long run!