Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Name Change

1. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver

Name Change

Advertisements
    Did you change your last name? Was it a pain?

I'm thinking about it and it seems like it would be easier if we had children and such...but I'm really lazy I feel like it's going to be a huge pain.

2. Senior Member
    I did, it wasn't a pain at all. I haven't changed my name back yet but I'm going to. And then I'll change it again whenever I get married again.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    Did you change your last name? Was it a pain?

I'm thinking about it and it seems like it would be easier if we had children and such...but I'm really lazy I feel like it's going to be a huge pain.
    I might be weird hahaa, but I'm so excited to change my name! Still not sure if I'm going to hyphenate it or not, but I'm excited either way!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

It was pretty easy and I hate any kind of appointment or red tape thing.. Got social security card updated, then changed drivers license, deers and MIL ID.

ETA: deers did screw it up and it is unchangeable but I'm listed as DH's second and third dependent (first is his first wife). I changed my name a year after getting married and I guess the person didn't listen and created a new account. Apparently they never let you change your dependents list. It isn't really an issue though so whatever but if you go I'd specifically say you're already in the system and request it be edited, not add a new name (if you are).
  5. Senior Member
    I did, but I waited three years after we got married because I'm lazy.

It was crazy easy, in and out of the SS office in like 15 minutes. DMV for a new license in like 30 and then just randomly changing it places that needed it changed as they came up.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post

It was crazy easy, in and out of the SS office in like 15 minutes. DMV for a new license in like 30 and then just randomly changing it places that needed it changed as they came up.
    Ok so I'm not a weirdo DH and I will be married one year in August. Still haven't changed mine! People have actually told me they think it's awesome a woman didn't take her husband's last name and I'm like "Well, it's not because of feminism. It's because I'm lazy"

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post

Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    Ok so I'm not a weirdo DH and I will be married one year in August. Still haven't changed mine! People have actually told me they think it's awesome a woman didn't take her husband's last name and I'm like "Well, it's not because of feminism. It's because I'm lazy"
    DH and I have been married almost 4 years and I haven't done it yet.

He doesn't care, and I am lazy. I feel like it would be a lot of work for me. I would have to change SS, then my passport, then my DL, then all my nursing licenses (I am licensed in multiple states).

I figure I will decide whether to deal with the hassle if/when we ever get pregnant or adopt.

8. Senior Member
    I changed it quickly after we got married, it wasn't a pain. It would have sounded awful if I hyphenated.

Side note my maiden name was rare and difficult for people to pronounce. I figured my married name would be easy, its much more common. BUT......people have STILL mangle it!
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."

9. Senior Member
    I did, it was really easy. 10 minutes at the SS office, 15 at the DMV, and maybe one or two trips to change it at a bank or whatever. Most things are online now so you just change it that way.

10. Senior Member
    I did both times I've been married. It was super easy. The place I had the most trouble was my college but it just took me taking them my marriage license to clear it up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast