Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name Change

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    This thread is getting me excited to get remarried to change my name again god I hate my maiden name
  2. Senior Member
    I don't plan on changing my name. But you actually can't where I am from. Like it's not even a thing. I don't think I would if I could though.
  3. Senior Member
    I changed mind about a year after we got married. I had heard it was a pain to do so I kept putting it off. Changing it personally was super easy though! I just mailed in my social security card paperwork and went down to the DMV.

Changing it professionally however has been a mini nightmare and something I am still dealing with. If I had known how much of a pain changing all of my medical licensure stuff was going to be I definitely would have done the process a lot sooner. We have been married over 4 years and I still have professional stuff with my maiden name that I am trying to correct.
  4. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

I did, it wasn't overly difficult. I just took a day off work and went to the DMV and the social security office. And you can make appts for both those places so its not that bad.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I changed mine and it was super easy

6. Senior Member
    I was expecting it to be a big pain, but nope! Went to social security office, waited for new SS card in the mail and then changed it on my license.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Last edited by Shoshana8; 09-20-2017 at 12:59 AM.
  8. Love never fails. ♥
    Love never fails. ♥

I changed mine like 10 months after we got married. They actually let me enroll in DEERS & everything like 2 days after we got married. All I had that had my married name was the marriage certificate. My DL and SS card still had my maiden name.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Divergent♥ View Post
    I changed mine like 10 months after we got married. They actually let me enroll in DEERS & everything like 2 days after we got married. All I had that had my married name was the marriage certificate. My DL and SS card still had my maiden name.
    Omg I did this for like, three years. I realize now that it was pretty illegal, having an 'alias' and all, but I swear it was out of pure laziness. When they put my new last name on my ID card a few days after we were married I had every intention of actually changing my name soon. Then I just...didn't.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  10. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I changed mine the week after we got married, I wrestled with the idea while we were engaged but it was something that meant a lot to DH and ultimately I knew we wanted kids and I don't ever want my kids to feel like I did growing up (I had a different last name than my mom because she'd remarried) so I got it done. It took me 1 day to get all the legal stuff (DL and SS) and then another couple months to do all the bills and credit cards and such. There are still a couple cards that have my maiden name on them because I'm lazy and don't want to get all the crap together to send them but I don't ever use them anyway and if I do have an old college ID with my picture and maiden name on it that usually works as verification.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast