Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Just Married, but feeling homesick.

1. Regular Member

Just Married, but feeling homesick.

Advertisements
    Hello everyone, I hope all is going well!!!

So I haven't been online in a while, but I'm back with good news and a question.~
    I just got married to my DH!!!~ We've talked about getting married the past year but decided to wait. So a couple weeks ago, we found out that my DH is getting moved to Okinawa for 10 months. We were sad when we found out that it will be an unaccompanied so we've decided to legally get married before he is sent off in a week. We got out license and legally signed the papers 2 days ago, everything was pretty much last minute. We only had a few family members come out for the legal signing. We wanted our whole family to come out but because we found out he was leaving last minute, we were not able to plan a big ceremony. Our families mean a lot and I really wanted them included in our wedding, so my DH agreed that we can do a bigger ceremony in November with all our friends and family included. I'm very excited for this.

With the legal marriage ceremony done, I've been staying with my DH for a few days now. I decided not to move all my things in, because when he leaves for Okinawa in a week, I decided that I wanted to live with my parents so that he could rent out his current place for a year. Last night I laid in bed (DH was sleeping cause he had an early morning PFT), and I got this weird feeling. I guess it'll best be explained as a homesick feeling. The past 3 years that I've been dating my DH, I have never stayed over (my parents are pretty old school). The homesick feeling made me feel sad last night, but I didn't want to wake my DH. I called my mom this morning and explained how it feels different and that I feel like something was missing. She said that it was normal and that it happens to a lot a people. She continues with saying how proud she and my dad are of me and how I'll always be their baby so I'll be welcomed home anytime. It made me tear up. She said that it'll be a little hard to get used to at first, but I'll be okay after a while. I guess I was just wondering if other people have felt this same way. Please let me know and write your stories. I would love to read them!
  2. Senior Member
    First of all congrats on your marriage!
    I can totally relate to the homesick feeling. My DH was sent to Oki unaccompanied and we did a tour conversion so I could join him. Once I arrived I was so homesick. I'm an only child and my parents are super close to me. I was homesick for about a month and then it started slowly getting better.
    My advice would be to keep communication open with them. Also staying busy and settling into a new routine really helped me.
    If you ever need to talk feel free to pm me!
  3. Senior Member

I used to get really homesick when I first moved away. 8 years later I still have moments where I really miss home and my parents.

4. Senior Member
    I moved from CA to FL with DH after we got engaged. He had flown out and we were driving back to FL in my car. I was so happy about our engagement and our relationship and my life, and suddenly about 30 minutes after we left my parents' driveway*, I was crying. It didn't last long, but this was a big change and a new chapter, and I think I was just reacting to that.

*I had lived away from my parents during college, but never more than about 40 minutes away. I'd moved back in at the end of college.
    Last edited by villanelle; 04-30-2016 at 12:58 PM.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Congrats on your marriage! I got very very homesick when I moved away. It's easier today with Skype and Facetime. Keep in touch frequently with Ma and Pop. You will do fine and it will start to get easier.
  6. Regular Member
    I want to say thank you to all who replied to this thread. It's really good to hear that it isn't just me who's feeling (or has felt) this way. It makes me smile and feel very encouraged reading everyone's advice & stories. I've told my DH about feeling a bit homesick and he's been supportive. He's encouraging me to make more friends, he says having friends around helps a lot.
    With that being said, I'm planning to be more active on this forum now. If anyone wants to chat or be friends please feel free to message me, I also have other chatting apps too, just let me know!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schung8 View Post
    I decided not to move all my things in, because when he leaves for Okinawa in a week, I decided that I wanted to live with my parents so that he could rent out his current place for a year.
    Be very careful with this if he rents and make sure he has the legal authority to sub-lease his place.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Last edited by Shoshana8; 09-20-2017 at 01:50 AM.
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoshana8 View Post
    ^This. Make sure he carefully reviews his current lease- there should be something in there one way or another about sub-letting. Typically, if it's allowed, it will advise whether it needs to go through the landlord or if it needs to go through the tenant (DH). If it goes through the tenant, you can find some pretty standard sublease contract forms online (I actually may have one saved on my computer somewhere...). I did this once before (I was the sublessee, but I did most of the legwork setting things up), so if you have questions about logistics, feel free to PM me!

awesome, thank you ladies!!!~ I talked to my DH about it. He said he looked into it and he's going to contact someone about it. He says he's planning of giving me POA, just in case he can't get everything in order by then.